Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
Prep Time:5 mins Cooking Time:25-30 mins Cuisine: Indian
This is the first time I tried Pulao / Pilaf with spring onions. I never knew that basmati rice cooked along with only spring onions and spiced up, would taste so sooo good. I wanted to clear off the spring onion bunches which were lying in my fridge, before the Sankranthi festival. So it suddenly clicked up in my (sharp :-)) ) brain …why not I try just a flavoured rice kind with ONLY these spring onions rather than make it into veg pulao.
I truly gave a pat on my back for this no hype, quick and easily filling recipe for a Pulao. My little son loved it to the core, that he asked for a second serving ( which happens rarely )!!
When you have nothing except for Salad Onion / Spring Onion or when you want to keep the plate simple or in a mood only for a ONE POT meal, just go for this!! You will surely cook this the next time too! 🙂
Click for recipe of Tomato Raita / Tomato-Yogurt Dip
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips which I mentioned at the end.
You might look at my other rice recipes here: Main Course
- Indian Basmati Rice Grains – 2 cups
- Spring Onions / Salad Onions – 1 bunch (large size)
- Green Chillies – 6
- Ginger – 1 small piece
- Salt – 3 teaspoons
- Black Cumin / Regular Cumin / Jeera – 1 teaspoon
- Cashew Nuts – 1 fistful
- Cooking Oil – 2 table spoons
- Bay Leaves / Biryani Leaves – 3
- Cinnamon Sticks / Dalchini – 2
- Cloves / Lavang – 4
- Green Peas / Bataani – ½ cup
- Water – 3½ cups
- Indian Basmati Rice Grains
- Cinnamon Sticks
- Firstly, take the rice (grains) into the rice cooker or pressure cooker, wash twice.
- Fill it with water (as mentioned in the ‘Ingredients’) and put aside. See the pics below.
- Next, chop the spring onions, green chillies and ginger. Leave the green ends of the onions for garnishing.
- Put a frying pan on stove top, in medium flame add the oil.
- Add the cashew nuts , cumin , bay leaves , cloves and cinnamon sticks.
- Fry them until the cashew turn light brown as shown in the pic.
- Then add the chopped ingredients, except the green ends of the spring onions.
- Give everything a quick mix , let the spring onions soften.
- After the onions became transparent, add the green peas and let them also fry for a couple of minutes.
- Transfer all the items in the pan onto the rice which we kept in the cooker.
- Add the salt and mix everything gently, so that the basmati rice do not break.
Place the rice cooker or pressure cooker or slow cooker or instant pot or cooking vessel for the rice to cook.
- If you are using pressure cooker let it give 3 whistles.I used my rice cooker.
- The aromatic Pulao / Pilaf is just after I switched off the flame.
- Give everything a mix gently, serve it and then garnish it with the green ends of the onions which we left aside.
- Soaking of rice is very important, as this makes the pulao rice to cook perfectly without sticking. So, try to soak the rice before you cut and fry the spring onions and spices.
- Basmati Rice is the best for any Pulao/Pilaf. In case you do not have right away, you can even try this with long grain rice as well.
- Along with ginger, you can add garlic too which I avoided.
- You can reduce the number of green chillies as per the spice needed.
- You can avoid cashew nuts if you dislike / are allergic to.
- If you are using frozen green peas add them as it is. But if you are using dried peas, soak them overnight and then add.
- You can have this Pulao with the raitha shown in the below or with any sauce of your choice too. It tastes good even with plain tomato sauce.
- You need to be careful while adding water to the rice grains in the rice cooker / slow cooker / pressure cooker. The measurement needs to be perfect for the cooked rice to have perfect texture.
- This pulao / pilaf is very mild in flavour, one pot meal .
- This Pulao / Pilaf can be served with any Raita but we had it with Tomato Raita / Tomato-Yogurt Dip.
- It can also be served with any gravy curry / sabzi too.
- Even though it has only one vegetable, yet it completely fills the tummy with right nutrients.
You can Pinit here for later use :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category
Like my FacebookPage⇒ https://www.facebook.com/vegcookbookpraveena/