Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:15 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:Italian
Of course, this is not my own recipe or something that I have learnt from my Mother, for sure. During those days, unlike these days, Italian dishes were not available in India.
I never tasted spaghetti / pasta until I got married. 🙂 And then I realised how delicious Italian cuisine was. But , pasta and spaghetti became part of our regular diet , only after my elder daughter was 2 yr old. With the fact, that its very cheesy , creamy and filling I introduced these yummy platter to her. Moreover, these are the most quick, easy and simple to make even for me, as a working woman (during those years).
The actual recipe is ,Basil Pesto Pasta , which I prepare in general. But, the day when I fixed up my mind and even told my family about what I am going to cook for lunch, I found that my pantry doesn’t have any pasta. A pack of Whole wheat Spaghetti , is all that I could find. I did not want to disappoint my kids, so I thought I shall try the same recipe with Spaghetti instead of pasta. But, believe me they loved it the same way as pasta. Problem solved.
Sharing the same recipe with you all now. Try this and let me know how it turned up.:-)
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned in the end.
My Main Course Collection⇒ Main Course
- Whole Wheat Spaghetti – 500 gm
- Salt – 2 teaspoon / as per taste
- Green Peas – 1 cup
- Basil leaves – 1 cup (packed)
- Pine nuts – 2 heaped tablespoons
- Black/White pepper powder – 1 tablespoon
- Olive oil – [3 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon]
- Parmesan Cheese – 2 heaped cups or as per taste
- Milk – ½ cup
- Water – required for boiling Spaghetti
- Olive oil
- Pine nuts
- Firstly, in a wide bottomed pan pour enough water (to boil the spaghetti) and put it on stove top under high flame.
- Once the water starts bubbling add a teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of oil.
- Then, put in all of the spaghetti into the pan, don’t put the lid on.
- It might take 8-10 mins (approximately) for the spaghetti to get cooked.
- In the meanwhile take the basil leaves , pine nuts , pepper powder and a cup of cheese into the food processor / mixie.
- Give a pulse and then add the 4 tablespoons of olive oil and the process/blend them again. Make it into a fine paste just as shown in the pic below.
- This mix itself is called as Pesto.
- Now, coming back to the pan of spaghetti, check if the spaghetti is cooked.
- Then, transfer whole of the spaghetti and water into a colander and drain the water into a different vessel.
- Put the pan back on the stove but reduce the flame to medium.
- Add the milk and cheese. While the cheese gets melted add the green peas and the pesto.
- Give everything a quick mix and leave it for 2-3 mins. Till the cheese melts completely in the milk. See pics below.
- Now, add a teaspoon of salt and transfer all of the spaghetti using the tongs into the pan.
- Gently turn and roll the spaghetti with the creamy mixture such that every string has caught up the creamy texture.
- Switch the flame off and remove the pan from stove top. Done!!
- You can even use any variety of pasta or spaghetti for the same dish.
- You can add garlic powder / garlic flakes while processing / blending the basil leaves and nuts. I did not.
- You can use any cheese of your choice, while Parmesan cheese tastes better.
- Vegans will have to replace the cheese and milk to free from variety.
- Be very careful while boiling the spaghetti in water, so that it mustn’t turn sticky which spoils the entire texture of the dish.
- Don’t throw the water you get after draining the cooked spaghetti. You might use it for making the roti, paratha dough. I use it that way.
- To check for the spaghetti is cooked or not, just take a piece of it and press it in between your finger tips.
- In case you do not have tongs, you can use two wooden ladles in both the hands.
- In case you are not using frozen green peas , get them cooked before using them.
- The taste of this spaghetti with basil is just awesome.
- Its very creamy,cheesy and soft in texture, at the same time has the strong flavour of basil.Basil Pesto Spaghetti topped with chilli flakes, ready to eat
You can Pinit here for later use :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can find my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category