Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
Prep Time:10 mins Cooking Time:20 mins Cuisine:Indian
Indian Broad Beans come under the family of BEANS, with a bit different taste when compared to the English beans. Chikkudukayalu is what we call in Telugu, my mother tongue and called as Bakala in Hindi.
Indian Broad Beans are mostly available during the months of October to March. During these months I try to incorporate this crunchy vegetable into curries regularly.
I like trying different combinations, and this recipe is one such peculiar combination of Indian broad beans with Baby Corn.
I added a spice powder for this curry that brings flavour to the curry and enhances the taste as well. On the other hand, though you do not add the spice powder, just the curry itself tastes delicious.
I shall share the other combinations of this vegetable in my next posts!
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
You can see my Curries / Sabzi collection here⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
- Broad Beans / Chikkudukaya – 250 gm / 2 cups
- Baby Corn – 10
- Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Nuvvulu / Til / Sesame seeds powder – 2 tablespoons
- Jeera / Cumin powder – 2 tablespoons
- Red Chilly powder – 1½ teaspoons
Ingredients for Tempering :
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoon
- Turmeric – ¼ teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies – 3
- Jeera / Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Nuvvulu / Til / Sesame seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Nuvvulu / Til / Sesame seeds – powder
- Jeera / Cumin seeds – powder
- Firstly, wash the broad beans / chikkudukayalu and the baby corn.
- Cut the baby corn into tiny pieces and the broad beans length wise. See pic below.
- Now transfer all the cut veggies into a glass bowl and microwave it for 15 mins.
- Add enough water, such that the veggies are dipped , ½ teaspoon of salt and microwave it for 15 mins.
- Bowl of Veggies boiled in microwave. See pic below for reference
- Now, put a pan on stove top under medium flame, and add the oil.
- After the oil is heated, add all the ‘ingredients for tempering’. Let them fry.
- Now, from the boiled veggies bowl, leave the water behind and add only the veggies (broad beans and baby corn) into the pan.
- Immediately add the salt, turmeric powder, red chilli powder, cumin/jeera powder and sesame seed/nuvvulu powder to the pan. See pic below.
- Mix everything gently, such that all the spices are well coated to the veggies.
- Close the pan with lid for 2-3 mins.
- After that give a gentle mix and switch the stove off.
- Transfer the curry/koora into a serving bowl. Done!!!
- Break each of the broad bean into two, with your fingers or a knife. And then split open each , length wise, to check for any worms in there.
- You can boil the veggies not only in microwave but even on stove top with same quantity of water but in a steel vessel.
- If you do not have sesame seeds powder / nuvvulu powder, you can skip adding it.
- Cumin/Jeera powder is readily available in any Indian store.
- You can make the Jeera/Cumin powder (or) Nuvvulu/Sesame Seeds powder at home just by dry roasting the seeds in a pan and grinding them to powder when they are cooled.
- Try to adjust the salt and spice according to your taste.
- The taste of this curry is crunchy, yummy and spicy. Yes! all at the same time.
- Crunchy with the beans, yummy with baby corn and spicy with spice powders.
- We had it plain white rice and even with roti . It tasted equally good with both.
You can Pinit here for later use :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can find my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category