Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
Prep Time:3-4 hrs Cooking Time:20 mins Cuisine:Indian
Minumulu/Urad Dal/Black Gram is one of the richest sources of proteins and Vitamin B. It is also good for women as it has iron, folic acid, calcium, magnesium, potassium which makes it a healthy pulse.For those who do not eat meat or fish, have black gram as it is rich in protein which is much required by the body (extracts from the internet).
Minapa Garelu/ Medu Vada is the most common food item made with these lentils. It is basically a South Indian breakfast dish. It can also be served as an appetizer for any meal/lunch/dinner. Generally, these are fried plain, but for a twist I added whole black pepper to spice them up!
This is one of the Vegan, Glutenfree , protein enriched recipes of Indian fritters. It’s Guiltfree in many ways. You can have them without any dip/chutney or with any spicy sauce/chutney, while we had them with Ginger Chutney / Allam Pachchadi
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned in the end.
- Semiya Payasam / Kheer / Vermicelli-Milk Pudding
- Traditional Indian Recipes for Festivals / Panduga Nayivedyalu
- Chinthapandu Pulihora / Tamarind Rice
- Minapa Gundlu/Skinless Whole Black Gram /Urad Dal – 1 cup
- Water – 2 cups
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Whole Black Pepper – 1 tablespoon
- Cooking Oil – as required (for deep fry)
- Whole Black Pepper
- First, take the Urad Dal/Skinless Whole Black Gram in a big vessel and wash them twice with cold water.
- Then soak them with double the amount of water. See pics below.
- Let them soak for 3-4 hours. Add enough water in between if needed.
- After 4 hours of soaking the lentils will bulge in size and overflow the vessel as shown in pic below.
- Transfer just the lentils (not water) to a grinder/processor and add the whole black pepper. See pic below.
- Grind the lentils thoroughly into a smooth batter , add 3-4 tablespoons of water in between if required.
- Add salt to the smooth batter and give a thorough mix.
- In the meanwhile, put a wide frying pan on stovetop under high flame and pour enough oil to deep fry.
- Take a tablespoon of batter and put it on any flat surface like a plate or polythene sheet. I used a ZipLoc.
- Then spread it over like a flat pattie with a hole at the center. See pic below.
- Once the oil is heated, reduce the flame to medium and gently drop the pattie into the boiled oil. See pic below.
- Let them fry on one side until they turn golden brown and reverse the patties gently to the other side for frying. See pics below.
- Once they are fried both sides until golden brown colour remove them slowly using a chopstick into the hole. See pic below.Hot Peppery Lentil Fritters/Miriyam Garelu taken out of the frying pan with a chopstick
- Transfer them to a bowl with a paper towel on. Done!!
- Soaking the urad dal/skinless black lentils might take approximately 3 hrs in summer, while it might take more time in winters.
- Few people follow this tip of, soaking the dal for 6-7 hrs to get fluffed up vada(s)/fritters.
- If you think the dal / lentils have not soaked enough, when compared to my picture, then let it soak for more time. Don’t hesitate.
- Don’t worry if you have soaked the urad dal/lentils for more time than required.
- Do not throw away the soaked water . You can use them for mixing the flour for roti.
- You can adjust the salt and pepper as per your taste.
- If you wish to make the vada(s) or fritters immediately after grinding: then to save time put a frying pan with enough cooking oil, on the stovetop under high flame.
- The oil for deep frying must be perfectly hot, to test this just drop a small blob of batter into the oil and check .
- Be extremely careful while dropping the batter into the oil and while turning each pattie to the other side.
- If you would like to avoid deep frying you can try these in an air-fryer too.
- You can store the batter in the refrigerator and make vada(s) or fritters when needed.
- This batter stays good upto a week in the fridge.
- The taste of these fritters is spicy , as we added black pepper.
- They are crunchy on the outside and soft as cotton in the inside. Even though these are deep fried, they are not at all oily to look and taste.
- As shown below, we ate them with Ginger Chutney / Allam PachchadiPlate of warm peppery Dal Fritters/Miriyam Garelu served with Ginger Chutney/Allam Pachchadi
You can Pinit here for later use :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can find my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category