Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:5 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
Rice flour Upma / Savoury Porridge , is one of the Upma recipes otherwise translated as Savoury Porridge is the cheapest, simplest comfort food of any common man in India. There are many varieties of Upma, while this is one of them made with Biyyappindi / Rice Flour .
Its made as morning breakfast, for brunch with other items, or for dinner, for lunch boxes, or any other occasion as a supplement. It takes hardly 10-15 mins to make this superb simple dish. It can be taken with any curry or chutney or curd or any pickle or just as it is. Tastes good in any way.
If you are new to this recipe, give a go and you will just love for its simplicity.
This recipes is a low calorie food, so adding this to my Weight Loss Food / Low Carb Recipes collection.
My Chutney recipes collection here⇒ Chutney / Pachchadi / Dip
My Breakfast recipes Collection here⇒ Breakfast / Tiffin
Salad recipes collection here⇒ Salads & Soups
- Couscous Upma / Savoury Meal
- Rava Upma / Semolina Savoury Porridge
- Black-eyed Beans Salad / Alasanda Guggillu
Before starting to cook, do see the Tips mentioned in the end.
- Rice Flour / – 1 large cup/bowl
- Tomatoes – 2
- Mixed Vegetables – ½ of large cup/bowl
- Buttermilk – 2 large cups/bowls
- Ginger – 1 tiny piece
- Salt – 1½ teaspoon
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Dry Red Chillies – 2
- Green Chillies – 4
- Curry Leaves – 5 to 6
- Onion – 1 large
Ingredients for Tempering :
- Urad dal / Minapappu / Split Black gram – 1 teaspoon
- Mustard seeds / Aavalu – ¼ teaspoon
- Chana dal / Split Yellow gram dal – ½ teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Sesame seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Curd / Buttermilk
- Curry Leaves
Procedure for Rice flour upma / Savoury porridge:
- Cut the green chillies length wise, chop the onions, tomatoes and ginger piece.
- Put a medium sized pan on stove top under medium flame.
- Add the oil and heat it.
- Add all the items under ‘Ingredients for tempering’. Saute them until they turn golden brown.
- Now, add the red chillies,curry leaves and green chillies to the sauteed items in the pan.
- After a minute, add all the ginger and onion pieces.
- Stir fry the onions and let them become transparent.
- Then add the tomatoes and let them soften.
- Next, add the mixed vegetables and let them cook.
- In the meanwhile, take the rice flour/ biyyappindi into a bowl. Add the buttermilk to the same bowl.
- Thoroughly whisk both without any lumps.
- When the vegetables are cooked, add the liquid mix slowly to the pan and add salt too. Give everything a gentle stir.
- At this stage reduce the flame to lowest possible.
- Cover the pan with lid for the pindi / flour to be cooked perfectly and to get the flavours.
- After 4-5 mins remove the lid, turn the flame off and serve the Upma. Done!!
- Vegans can use curd / yogurt of plant based milk.
- Don’t try to avoid the tempering, as its the main source of flavour for the entire dish.
- You can put in atleast one or two available ingredients for tempering.
- Ratio of Rice Flour and Buttermilk is 1:2.
- Buttermilk is the liquid form of thick curd/yougurt. You can easily make it,by adding 3 cups of cold water to 1 cup of curd/yogurt.
- You can avoid adding the onions,tomatoes and mixed vegetables too.
- Change the salt and spice as per your taste.
- You need to be careful that lumps are not formed, while adding the liquid mix.
- The shelf life of this item is 1 day at room temperature. But it can stored in fridge, warmed and served. Stays fresh in fridge up to 2-3 days.
- It can be eaten warm or cold.
- The taste of this dish is absolutely simple but yet delicious.
- We had this with plain yogurt / curd.
You can Pinit here for later use :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can find my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category