Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:5 mins CookTime:15 mins Cuisine:Indian
Cucumbers are very low in calories and they also contain fiber in the skin and so can help us maintain a healthy weight.
Toor Dal/Kandi Pappu/Yellow Lentils have many health benefits like improves digestion, good source of protein,iron,fiber, controls cholesterol,has folic acid. Toor dal is one of the most common pulses in an Indian kitchen.
This recipe of Toor dal + cucumber is a very common one for any South Indian Mum. But, sharing my version. It is purely Vegan+Glutenfree recipe.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips which I mentioned at the end.
My Dal recipes collection here⇒ Dal / Pappu / Lentil Stew
My Curry Recipes collection here⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
- Green Cucumber / Keera Dosakaya – 1 medium size
- Tomatoes – 2 large size
- Toor Dal / Kandi Pappu – 1 cup (medium size)
- Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Water – for boiling and cooking
- Coriander – 2 to 3 twigs
Ingredients for Tempering : (optional)
- Mustard seeds / Aavalu – ¼ teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds -½ teaspoon
- Nuvvulu / Sesame Seeds – ¼ teaspoon (optional)
- Asafoetida / Hing / Inguva – half of ¼ teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies – 3
- Curry Leaves – 5
- Cooking oil – 2 tablespoons
- Garlic pods – 3 (optional)
- Asafoetida / Hing / Inguva
- Firstly, take the lentils/kandipappu/toordal into the pressure cooker and wash them twice thoroughly.
- Pour water upto the level where the lentils/dal are soaked. Set aside.
- Wash the green cucumber and tomatoes.
- Cut the cucumber/dosakaya and the tomatoes into small pieces.
- Transfer all the pieces of tomatoes and cucumber onto the dal in the pressure cooker. Green Cucumber and Toamto pieces added to the dal in pressure cooker
- Close the lid, put the cooker on the stove top in high flame and cook until you get 3-4 whistles.
- After the pressure is released, open the lid and add the salt , turmeric powder and red chilli powder into the same.
- Add ¼ cup of water and switch the flame on under medium.
- Stir everything thoroughly and let it cook for upto 3-5 mins or until it thickens.Mixed up all the spice powders and the dal/cooked lentils
- Shift the pressure cooker from the flame and put a small frying pan on the stove.
- Add all the ‘Ingredients for tempering’ into the pan and sautee them. ‘Ingredients for tempering’ sauteed in a small pan
- Switch the flame off and transfer all the content of the pan into the dal/pappu/cooked lentils.
- Give a mix and take it into a serving dish. Done!!
- You can peel the skin off the cucumber/dosakaya, if you prefer to.
- This is a No Onion, No Garlic recipe, but you can add garlic in the tempering too.
- I have a small pressure cooker suitable for making the stew/dal, if not you transfer the cooked dal/lentils into a suitable vessel and continue with the recipe.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste, but the expected spice for this stew/toor dal/dosakaya pappu is mild.
- The storage time of this pappu/lentilstew at room temperature is just 1 day but when refrigerated stays good upto 2-3 days.
- The taste of this pappu/keera-toor dal/yellow lentil stew is mild in spice and the texture is very soft.
- It is suitable as a side with any rice, quinoa, any bread .
You can Pinit here for later use , Pinterest Link :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category