Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
Prep Time: 5 mins Cooking Time: 25-30 mins Cuisine: Indian
Cumin / Jeera has many health benefits like Aids Digestion, Boosts Immune System, Treats Respiratory Disorders, Promotes Skin Health, Treats Insomnia, Prevents Diabetes, has antiviral and Antibacterial Properties and is High Source of Iron (info from the internet).
This One Pot Pulao/Rice recipe is very simple & quick to cook because of its very few ingredients. It can surely be the main course of any platter. Moreover it’s purely Vegan+Glutenfree too.
Even though it doesn’t have any veggie, yet it completely fills the tummy with right nutrients.We had it with Carrot Raita / Carrot – Yogurt Dip while any curry/sauce can be served along.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips which I mentioned at the end.
My other Rice recipes: Main Course
- Indian Basmati Rice Grains – 2 cups
- Onions – 2 (large size)
- Green Chillies – 6
- Ginger – 1 small piece
- Salt – 3 teaspoons
- Cooking Oil – 2 table spoons
- Bay Leaves / Biryani Leaves – 3
- Cinnamon Sticks / Dalchini – 2
- Jeera / Whole Cumin seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Jeera powder / Cumin Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Water – 3 cups
- Indian Basmati Rice Grains
- Whole Cumin Seeds/ Jeera
- Firstly, take the rice (grains) into the rice cooker or pressure cooker, wash twice.
- Fill it with water (as mentioned in the ‘Ingredients’) and put aside.
- Next, chop the onions and ginger. Cut the green chillies length wise.
- Now,put a medium size frying pan on stove top under medium flame.
- Add the oil and let it heat.
- Then add the pieces of onions and ginger into the oil. Sautee them until onions soften.
- Add the bay leaves, cinnamon sticks and whole cumin/jeera into the pan. Sautee them. See pics below.
- Next add the green chillies and jeera powder/cumin powder. Mix everything well and let the pan be on flame for 2-3 mins.
- Switch the flame off and transfer all the items in the pan onto the rice which we kept in the cooker. See pics below.
- Add the salt and mix everything gently, so that the basmati rice do not break/crack.
- Place the rice cooker or pressure cooker or slow cooker or instant pot or cooking vessel for the rice to cook.
- If you are using pressure cooker let it give 3 whistles.
- Once the rice is cooked,mix gently and then garnish it with chopped coriander. Done!!
- Jeera Powder/Cumin Powder can be easily made at home by tossing the whole cumin/jeera in a frying pan until they turn light brown in colour and give a pleasant aroma. Once they are cooled , just blend them into powder in a blender or grinder.
- Soaking of rice is very important, as this makes the pulao rice to cook perfectly without sticking. So, try to soak the rice before you cut and fry the onions and spices.
- Basmati Rice is the best for any Pulao/Pilaf. In case you do not have right away, you can even try this with long grain rice as well.
- Along with ginger, you can add garlic too which I avoided.
- You can reduce the number of green chillies as per the spice needed.
- You can have this Pulao with the raitha shown in the pic or with any sauce of your choice too.
- You need to be careful while adding water to the rice grains in the rice cooker / slow cooker / pressure cooker. The measurement needs to be perfect for the cooked rice to have perfect texture.
- This pulao / pilaf is very mild in flavour, one pot meal .
- It can be served with any Raita /gravy /curry/ sauce but we had it with Carrot Raita / Carrot – Yogurt Dip.
- Even though it doesn’t have any veggie, yet it completely fills the tummy with right nutrients.
You can Pinit here, using Pinterest Link :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can find my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category