Recipe Cooked,Photographed and Written by Praveena
Prep Time:2 min Cooking Time:10 min Cuisine:Indian
Onion-Yogurt Dip, Whenever I make this, I feel & see, how the pride (in making us cry while chopping) of watery & crunchy onion has been put down, by frying it up and putting into a pool of yogurt/curd. 🙂
This chutney/dip can be served with any rice,chips, roti,naan bread too.
Before starting to cook this recipe , see the Tips which I mentioned at the end.
Other Dips / Chutney recipes here⇒ Chutney / Pachchadi / Dip
- Indian Soup with Buttermilk / Majjiga Pulusu
- Instant Rava Idli / Steamed Semolina Patties
- Pudina Raita / Mint-Yogurt Dip
- Homemade Thick Curd / Greek Plain Yogurt / Plain Yogurt – 1 cup
- Salt – 1½ teaspoon
- Red Chilli powder – ½ teaspoon
- Onion – 1 Large
- Coriander – 4 to 5 twigs
Ingredients for Tempering: (optional)
- Cooking Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds / Aavalu – ½ teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Asafoetida / Hing / Inguva – half of ¼ teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies – 2
- Sesame seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Homemade Thick Curd / Greek Yogurt
- Firstly chop the onion and coriander into small /tiny pieces. Set aside.
- Take the curd / yogurt into a serving bowl , add the salt and keep it ready .
- Take a small frying pan and add all the ‘Ingredients for tempering’.
- Sautee them and then add the chopped onions. See pics below.
- Pan fry the onions until they are roasted, by continuously stirring in between.
- Then,add the red chilli powder and give a stir. Switch the flame off.
- Add the choopped coriander and mix everything.
- Now transfer all of this onto the curd/yogurt. See pics below.
- Mix gently, the fried content and the curd/yogurt. Done!!
- Vegans , can use vegan yogurt or curd.
- I have used homemade thick curd but greek yogurt if not plain yogurt can also be used.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- You can store it in the refrigerator and serve chilled.
- Storage time is same as that of the curd / yogurt used.
- The taste of this dip/chutney is felt more when it is accompanied with a main dish.
- This chutney/dip can be served with any rice,chips, roti,naan bread,salad too. Or it can be had as it is. Onion-Yogurt Dip / Ulli-Perugu Pachchadi
Pinterest Link for later use :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can find my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category