Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
Prep Time:5 mins Cooking Time:15 mins Cuisine:Indian
Bottle Gourd/Lauki/Sorakaya has many health benefits like it cools your body,helps in weight loss, treats urinary tract infections, cures tummy troubles, keep your heart healthy, relieves stress, is useful for reproductive system (info from internet).
Yellow mung lentils/pesarapappu has benefits of non-animal protein, rich source of dietary fiber and other nutrients.
So a dal/stew cooked with this combination is definitely going to give the sufficient nutrients to the body. This is a very simple, quick recipe thats Vegan+Glutenfree.
While I used a pressure cooker to make this dal/stew, but you can make it on stovetop / instantpot, with the same recipe.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips which I mentioned at the end.
- Bottle Gourd / Sorkaya / Lauki – 1 small
- Green Chillies – 6 to 7
- Tomatoes – 2 large
- Mung Dal / Yellow Split Lentils / Pesarapappu – 1 cup (medium size)
- Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Red Chilli Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Water – for boiling and cooking
Ingredients for tempering:
- Urad Dal / Minappappu / Black gram – ½ teaspoon
- Mustard seeds / Aavalu – ¼ teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Asafoetida / Hing / Inguva – half of ¼ teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies – 3
- Curry Leaves – 5
- Green Chillies – 1
- Cooking oil – 2 tablespoons
- Asafoetida / Hing / Inguva
- Green Chillies
- Firstly, take the lentils/pesarapappu/dal into the pressure cooker and wash them twice thororughly.
- Pour water upto the level where the lentils/dal are soaked. See pics below.
- Wash the bottle gourd and tomatoes.
- Peel the skin off the bottle gourd/lauki/sorakaya.
- Cut the bottle gourd/sorakaya/lauki and the tomatoes into small pieces.
- Slit the green chillies length wise. See pics below.
- Transfer all the pieces of tomatoes,bottle gourd/lauki/sorakaya and green chillies onto the dal in the pressure cooker. See pic below.
- Close the lid, put the cooker on the stove top in high flame and cook until you get 3-4 whistles.
- After the pressure is released, open the lid and add the salt , turmeric powder and red chilli powder into the same.
- Add ¼ cup of water and switch the flame on under medium.
- Stir everything thoroughly and let it cook for upto 3-5 mins.
- Shift the pressure cooker from the flame and put a small frying pan on the stove.
- Add all the ‘Ingredients for tempering’ into the pan and sautee them.
- Switch the flame off and transfer all the content of the pan into the dal/pappu/cooked lentils.
- Give a mix and take it into a serving dish. Done!!
- This is a No Onion, No Garlic recipe, but you can add garlic in the tempering too.
- I have a small pressure cooker suitable for making the stew/dal, if not you transfer the cooked dal/lentils into a suitable vessel and continue with the recipe.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste, but the expected spice for this stew/lauki mung dal/sorakaya pesarapappu is mild.
- The storage time of this pappu/lentilstew at room temperature is just 1 day but when refrigerated stays good upto 2-3 days.
- The taste of this pappu/lauki mung dal/yellow mung lentil stew is very mild in spice and the texture is very soft.
- It is suitable as a side with any rice, quinoa,any bread or as it is too.
You can Pinit here for later use, Pinterest Link :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category
Like my Facebook Page⇒ https://www.facebook.com/vegcookbookpraveena/