Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:5mins CookTime:12mins Cuisine:Indian
Stuffed Brinjal/ Gutti Vankaya/ Bharwa Baingan is the most famous/liked Indian recipe using small brinjal/eggplants. There are many different recipes for stuffed brinjal, while this is one of them that I learnt from Amma (my Mom). Its the quickest recipe which can be made within 10-15 mins with very few ingredients.
Health Benefits of Brinjal / Eggplants
Brinjal /Eggplants are rich in fiber, potassium, vitamin B-6 , hence it lowers the risk of heart disease. Its a low-carb, nutrient-dense, calorie-poor food , so its a great food to help you lose weight. One cup of eggplant/brinjal contains only 8gm of carbohydrates (info from internet).
This, stuffed brinjal dry curry recipe is the favourite for my two daughters. Why don’t you try this ,Vegan and Gluten free recipe by my Mother! 🙂
Details of above platter details with recipes⇒ Bhojanam/Thali/Platter
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
My Curry recipes collection here⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Daily Thali recipes collection⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Meal Platter
- Stuffed BitterGourd / Karela / Kakarakaya Ullikaaram Koora
- Stuffed Banana Peppers / Gutti Mirapakaya
- Brinjal-Tomato Curry / Vankaya-Tomato Koora
- Brinjal – Green Peas Curry / Vankaya -Bataani Koora
- Brinjal/Eggplant – 8 (small size)
- Chickpea flour / Besan / Senagapindi – 1 heaped cup
- Salt – 3 teaspoons
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 2 teaspoons (heaped)
- Cooking oil – [4 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon]
- Coriander – 1 small bunch or 7-8 twigs
- Chickpea flour / Besan / Senagapindi
Step wise pics Procedure:
- Firstly, take the chickpeaflour/besan/senagapindi into a small mixing bowl.
- Add red chilli powder,turmeric powder, salt and cumin seeds into the same bowl.
- Mix up everything thoroughly and set aside.
- Now take the brinjal / eggplants, wash them and wipe clean them.
- Cut the edges on one side, and slit them into 4 parts only on the same side.
- Using a small spoon fill in each brinjal/eggplant/vankaya with the flour mix which we kept aside. If the flour mix is leftover then keep it for later use.
- Now take a frying pan that is suitable to fit all the stuffed brinjals / eggplants.
- Pour the 4 tablespoons of oil in the pan, and heat it on stove top under medium flame.
- Gently drop in the stuffed brinjal / eggplants (which we kept aside) into the pan.
- Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of water onto the brinjal / vankayalu and close the pan with lid.
- Let the brinjal / vankayalu cook and soften.
- After 3-4 mins open the lid and turn each brinjal/ eggplants / vankayalu onto the other side and close the pan again with lid.
- After 3-4 mins open the lid and check if the brinjal / eggplants / vankayalu are cooked/softened perfectly.
- Then add the leftover flour mix onto the cooked brinjal /eggplants /vankayalu and gently turn them.
- Switch the flame off and garnish the curry with chopped coriander.
- Then transfer it to a serving bowl. Done!!
- Bear in mind while slicing the brinjals/vankaya that only one side is slit.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- The taste of this curry is just awesome, and I bet you cant stop eating just one brinjal.
- Its mostly suitable with rice rather than bread. We had it part of the below platter.
- Details of below platter details with recipes⇒ Bhojanam/Thali/Platter
You can Pin it here for later use, Pinterest Link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category