Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
Prep Time:5 mins Cooking Time:10 mins Cuisine: Indian
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned in the end.
My Curry Collection⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
- Brinjal / Eggplant – 1 (large size)
- Tomatoes – 4
- Onions – 1 (large size)
- Salt – 2½ teaspoons
- Red Chilli Powder – 1½ teaspoon
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoon
- Coriander – 1 bunch / 7 to 8 twigs
- Ginger-Garlic paste/crushed – 1 teaspoon (optional)
Ingredients for Tempering :
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds / Aavalu – ½ teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies – 3 (optional)
- Urad dal / Minapappu / Split Black gram – ½ teaspoon (optional)
- Red Chilli Powder
- As shown in the pic below, gather the veggies to be used.
- Take the brinjal/eggplant and tomatoes,wash them thoroughly with water.
- Peel the skin off the onions cut them into small cubes. Put aside.
- Now, put a medium sized frying pan on the stove top under medium flame.
- Add the oil and let it heat.
- Then add all the ‘Ingredients for tempering’ into the oil. Sautee them.
- Now, add the onion pieces and the ginger-garlic paste/crush (optional) to the same pan. See pic above.
- Pan fry the onions until they turn transparent.
- In the meanwhile, cut the tomatoes and brinjal/eggplant into cube size pieces.
- When the onions are fried enough add the tomatoes and eggplant/brinjal pieces too. See pic below.
- Add the salt, give a gentle mix and close the lid of the pan. Let the veggies soften.
- After, around 5-7 mins, open the lid and check if the eggplant/brinjal pieces have softened.
- If required add 3-4 tablespoons of water and continue to cook them with the lid on.
- Then, add the red chilli powder and part of chopped coriander.
- Give a thorough mix and let it be on stove for 2 more mins. See pic above.
- At this stage switch the flame off and transfer the curry into serving bowl.Done!!
- Take care that the eggplant/brinjal pieces are transferred immediatley into the frying pan once they are sliced. If not they might turn into dark colour.
- Finely chopped Garlic can be added along with onion pieces (which I avoided).
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- The taste of this gravy curry is spicy while the texture is soft and wet.
- It can be used as a side for any rice,chapati or can be part of your salad bowl too.
You can Pinit here, Pinterest Link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category