Recipes Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
Prep Time:5mins Cooking Time:10mins Cuisine:Indian
Brinjals/Eggplants are rich in fiber, potassium, vitamin B-6 , hence it lowers the risk of heart disease. Its a low-carb, nutrient-dense, calorie-poor food , so its a great food to help you lose weight. One cup of eggplant/brinjal contains only 8gm of carbohydrates (info from internet).
Stuffed Brinjal/Gutti Vankaya/Bharwa Baingan is the most famous/liked Indian recipe using small brinjal/eggplants. There are many different recipes for stuffed brinjal, while this is one of them that I learnt from my Mom. Its the quickest recipe which can be made within 10-15 mins with very few ingredients.
This recipe is the favourite one for my two daughters. So, why dont you try this ,Vegan and Glutenfree recipe of my Mom! 🙂
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips which I mentioned at the end.
You might try my other Curry recipes here⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Related Posts: Stuffed BitterGourd / Karela / Kakarakaya Ullikaaram Koora , Stuffed Banana Peppers / Gutti Mirapakaya , Brinjal-Tomato Curry / Vankaya-Tomato Koora , Brinjal – Green Peas Curry / Vankaya -Bataani Koora
- Brinjal/Eggplant – 8 (small size)
- Chickpea flour / Besan / Senagapindi – 1 heaped cup
- Salt – 3 teaspoons
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Red Chilli Powder – 2 teaspoons (heaped)
- Cooking oil – [4 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon]
- Coriander – 1 small bunch or 7-8 twigs
- Chickpea flour / Besan / Senagapindi
- Firstly, take the chickpeaflour/besan/senagapindi into a small mixing bowl.
- Add red chilli powder,turmeric powder, salt and cumin seeds into the same bowl.
- Mix up everything thoroughly and set aside. See pics below.
- Now take the brinjals/eggplants, wash them and wipe clean them.
- Cut the edges on one side, and slit them into 4 parts only on the same side. See pic below for reference.
- Using a small spoon fill in each brinjal/eggplant/vankaya with the flour mix which we kept aside. If the flour mix is leftover then keep it for later use.
- Now take a frying pan that is suitable to fit all the stuffed brinjals/eggplants.
- Pour the 4 tablespoons of oil in the pan, and heat it on stovetop under medium flame.
- Gently drop in the stuffed brinjals/eggplants (which we kept aside) into the pan. See pic below.
- Sprinkle 2-3 tablespoons of water onto the brinjals/vankayalu and close the pan with lid.
- Let the brinjals/vankayalu cook and soften.
- After 3-4 mins open the lid and turn each brinjals/eggplants/vankayalu onto the other side and close the pan again with lid. See pics below.
- After 3-4 mins open the lid and check if the brinjal/eggplants/vankayalu are cooked/softened perfectly.
- Then add the leftover flour mix onto the cooked brinjal/eggplants/vankayalu and gently turn them. See pic below.
- Switch the flame off and garnish the curry with chopped coriander.
- Then transfer it to a serving bowl. Done!!
- Bear in mind while slicing the brinjals/vankaya that only one side is slit.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- The taste of this curry is just awesome, and I bet you cant stop eating just one brinjal.
- Its mostly suitable with rice rather than bread. We had it part of the below platter.
You can Pinit here, Pinterest Link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category