Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
Prep Time:5 mins Cooking Time:15 mins Cuisine:Indian
As we all know tomatoes are an excellent source of Vitamin C and K.Toor Dal/Kandi Pappu/Yellow Lentils have many health benefits like improves digestion, good source of protein,iron,fiber, controls cholesterol,has folic acid. Toor dal is one of the most common pulses in an Indian kitchen.
This is purely Vegan+Glutenfree recipe.
You can find my other Dal Recipes here⇒ Dal / Pappu / Lentil Stew
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips which I mentioned at the end.
- Tomatoes – 5 (medium size)
- Toor Dal / Kandi Pappu – 1 cup (medium size)
- Salt – 2 teaspoons
- Green Chillies – 3
- Red Chilli Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Tamarind – tiny lemon size or 1 tablespoon of puree
- Water – for boiling and cooking
- Coriander – 2 to 3 twigs
Ingredients for Tempering :
- Mustard seeds / Aavalu – ¼ teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds -½ teaspoon
- Nuvvulu / Sesame Seeds – ¼ teaspoon (optional)
- Asafoetida / Hing / Inguva – half of ¼ teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies – 3
- Curry Leaves – 5
- Cooking oil – 2 tablespoons
- Asafoetida / Hing / Inguva
- Firstly, take the lentils/kandipappu/toordal into the pressure cooker and wash them twice thororughly.
- Pour water upto the level where the lentils/dal are soaked. Set aside. See pics below.
- Wash the tomatoes and cut them into small pieces.
- Transfer all the tomato pieces onto the dal in the pressure cooker. See pic below.
- Close the lid, put the cooker on the stove top in high flame and cook until you get 3-4 whistles.
- After the pressure is released, open the lid and add the salt , turmeric powder and red chilli powder into the same. See pics below.
- Add ¼ cup of water and switch the flame on under medium.
- Stir everything thoroughly and let it cook for upto 3-5 mins or until it thickens. See pics above for reference.
- Shift the pressure cooker from the flame and put a small frying pan on the stove.
- Add all the ‘Ingredients for tempering’ into the pan and sautee them. See pic below.
- Switch the flame off and transfer all the content of the pan into the dal/pappu/cooked lentils.
- Give a mix and take the dal/pappu/lentil stew into a serving dish, just like the pic above. Done!!
- I preferred this dal/stew to be NoOnion-NoGarlic recipe, but you can add chopped onions (2 small size) while cooking the veggies and add garlic in the tempering pan.
- I have a small pressure cooker suitable for making the stew/dal.
- If not you can transfer the dal/lentils, veggies into a suitable vessel and continue with the recipe on stovetop.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- For the tempering, try to add the spices whichever you have, but try not to skip the tempering.
- The storage time of this pappu/lentilstew at room temperature is just 1 day but when refrigerated stays good upto 2-3 days.
- The taste of this pappu/dal/lentil stew is mild in spice and the texture is very soft.
- It is suitable as a side with any rice, quinoa,any bread .
- We had this dal/lentil stew /pappu as a side with rice, as shown in the last pic.
You can Pinit here, Pinterest Link :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category