Recipes Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
Prep Time:5mins Cooking Time:10mins Cuisine:Indian
Stuffed Bittergourd/ Karela/ Kakarakaya is one such dish, many Indians are fond of. I am always used of making my Mom’s recipe which is a No-Onion and No-Garlic recipe. But these days, I started to do with a different recipe (of my own) which is equally liked by my family.
We truly loved this new recipe of mine, that I had to make the same curry again, the same day. 🙂 So just give a try with this simple and quick recipe of Karela/ Bittergourd. Its a Vegan, Glutenfree, LessOil recipe with easily available ingredients.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips which I mentioned at the end.
You might see my other Curry recipes here⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Ingredients: (for 3 veggies)
- BitterGourd/ Kakarakaya/ Karela – 3 (size as per below pic)
- Salt – as per taste
- Red Chilli Powder / Kaaram –
- Turmeric Powder / Pasupu –
- Onions – 2 (small size)
- Garlic Cloves – 3 (optional)
- Fresh Grated Coconut / Dessicated Coconut – 2 teaspoons
- Cooking Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Chopped Coriander – 1 tablespoon
- Chickpea Flour / Besan
- Fresh Grated Coconut / Dessicated Coconut
- Wash the bittergourd/ karela/ kakarakaya and cut the edges on both sides as shown below.
- Cut each bitter gourd/ karela into half and then slit open on one side by giving a cut across. See pic below for reference. Set aside.
- For the stuffing peel and then chop the onions finely.
- Take the onion pieces and garlic cloves (optional ingredient) into a mixie / spice blender, grind them into a coarse paste.
- Transfer the onion paste to a small bowl.
- Add the chickpea flour/besan, red chilli powder, salt and turmeric powder to the same bowl.
- Mix everything thoroughly and using a teaspoon, insert this stuffing into each karela/ bittergourd through the slit we made at one end. Put aside.
- Put a small pan on stovetop under medium flame, pour the oil and let it heat.
- Gently place the stuffed karela/ bittergourd/ kakarakaya onto the pan and close it with lid.
- After 3-4 mins turn the karela/ bittergourd to the other side and close the pan with lid.
- Let it fry for more 3-4 mins, open the lid and check if each one has softened.If not , let them get fried for more time.
- Once, all of them have softened just sprinkle the dessicated coconut and chopped coriander onto them.
- Gently, turn the karela/ bittergourd such that each one has a coat of coconut and coriander as well. Just like pic below.
- Let the flame be on for 1 more min, then switch off! Done!!
- As, I selected tender bittergourd/ karela, the cooking time is very less.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- After adding grated coconut/ dessicated coconut be careful not to burn them, as they can be easily burnt.
- This curry can be stored in refrigerator and used upto a week.
- Stays good upto 3-4 days at room temperature.
- The taste of this stuffed curry is truly delicious.
- The bitterness from the bittergourd is not at all felt. Might be because of the onion & coconut we used.
- We had it as a side along with steamed white rice. Even my kids adored this recipe.
You can Pinit here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category