Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
Prep time:5 mins Cooking Time:20 mins Cuisine:Indian
My little son was given that small award (in the pic) for his good performance throughout the year, in football course (end-of-year award). That day, while he returned back home from school, he was so happy with such a big smile on his face holding that award. Bless him! Marking this day, I made these energy balls / laddoos to celebrate. Coz, I know he is fond of laddoos, and so he would love them. 🙂
First things first, this recipe is from my own creation. I mean not-an-idea of any others or from any other source.
Generally, I try to incorporate sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chia seeds, sesame seeds, watermelon seeds etc occassionally in my cooking. But these days, I started to use them more frequently than before. This recipe once such, which my family adored.
Sunflower seeds have many health benefits. Some of them are Reduces Risk for Heart Disease, Helps to Prevent Cancer Due to High Antioxidant Content, Supports Thyroid Function Through Selenium, Helps Combat Osteoporosis, Bone Loss, and Muscle Cramps, Balances Blood Sugar Levels and Helps Ward off Diabetes, Improves Skin Health. These seeds are an excellent source of Vitamin-E. (info from internet)
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips which I mentioned at the end.
My other Dessert recipes⇒ Desserts / Mithayi
- Roasted Chana Dal / Roasted Split Yellow Chickpeas / Putnala Pappu – 1 cup (heaped)
- Sunflower Seeds – ¾ cup
- Sugar / Jaggery – 1 cup
- Pistachios – 5
- Melted Ghee / Melted Butter – ¼ cup
- Cardamom Powder / Elaichi Powder – 4
- Desiccated Coconut / Grated Fresh Coconut – 5 tablespoons
- Roasted Chana Dal / Roasted Split Yellow Chickpeas / Putnala Pappu
- Firstly, get all the ingredients measured and keep them ready.
- Finely, chop the pistachios, put aside.
- Spread the desiccated coconut / freshly grated coconut onto a small plate. Put aside.
- Put a frying pan / vessel on stove top under low flame.
- Add the sun-flower seeds and dry roast them until you get a pleasant aroma and they change their colour.
- See pic below. At this stage switch the flame off and set them to cool completely.
- Take the Roasted Chana Dal / Putnala Pappu / Roasted Split Chickpeas into a spice grinder / mixie / blender and grind them into fine powder and transfer it to a wide mixing plate.
- Take the Sugar / Jaggery , grind them into fine powder and transfer to the same plate.
- Once the sun-flower seeds are completely cooled, take them into belnder/ mixer, grind into fine powder and transfer to the same mixing plate..
- See pic below. Take the powdered cardamom to the same mixing plate /bowl along with the other powders.
- Combine all the dry powders thoroughly with a spoon.
- Warm the ghee and pour it into the mix slowly with a tablespoon at a time.
- Using your hands, shape the laddoos as you pour the ghee for enough consistency of making the laddoos/balls.
- After shaping each laddoo roll it onto the desiccated coconut so that it would stick to the wet laddoos. See the below pic for reference.
- Once the laddoos are rolled, top them up with chopped pistachios and set them to dry. Done!!
- Whatever might be the size of your measuring cup, the ratio should be the same.
- For the above quantity of ingredients, I got 20 laddoos of the above size.
- Vegans, can use Coconut Oil for Ghee / Butter that I had mentioned.
- I used unrefined cane sugar which is same as jaggery, so my laddoos colour is a bit darker.
- Be generous while using the ghee/butter, it will enhance the taste of laddoos.
- Apply some ghee / butter to your palms for rolling the laddoos.
- These energy balls / laddoos can be had immediately once they are rolled.
- Stays good upto 1 week at room temperature but can also be stored in refrigerator forlonger life.
- The taste of these laddus / energy balls is just awesome.
- As we made powder of everything the texture is obviuosly smooth.
- Needless to say, my 3 kids loved these new flavoured laddoos soooo much!! 🙂 🙂 🙂
You can Pinit here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can find my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category