Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
Preptime:5 mins CookTime:15 mins Cuisine:Indian
These Oats & hemp seeds energy balls / laddoos tasted slightly different with the addition of hemp seeds, but they were damn good to taste. I made these for Ganesh Chathurthi / Vinayaka Chavithi (An Indian Festival) and my kids loved them.
I always like to experiment with new combinations at making laddoos as my kids love them. Oats is very commonly used in breakfast recipes these days. This recipe is just my try to make an energy balls/laddoos using oats, along with the goodness of Hemp seeds.
‘Lord Ganesha’ s drawing by my 6 yr old son! Loved to have hugs from him for putting up his picture on the blog. 🙂
Health Benefits of Hemp Seeds
Hemp seeds have high levels of vitamins A, C ,E ,beta-carotene and fiber.They are also a good source of protein and omega-3 fatty acids (info from internet).
In case you don’t have / do not wish to add hemp seeds, just replace them with sesame seeds, or sunflower seeds or just oats too.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned in the end.
- Hemp Seeds – Indian Spice Powder
- Ragi-Nuvvula Laddu / Millet-Sesame Sweet Balls / Bhakri-Til Laddoo
- Sunflower Seeds Laddu / Energy Balls , Desserts / Mithayi
- Oats – 2 cups
- Hemp Seeds – ¼ cup
- Sugar / Jaggery – 1½ cups
- Cashew Nuts – handful
- Ghee / Unsalted Butter – ½ cup
- Cardamom/Elaichi – 4
- Hemp Seeds
- Ghee / Unsalted Butter
- Take a heavy bottomed pan/vessel, put it in stove top under low flame.
- Add 1 teaspoon of ghee/butter into the pan and fry the cashew nuts until they turn golden.
- Take them separately into a plate.
- Return the pan to stovetop, Add the hemp seeds into the pan and dry roast until you get a pleasant aroma.
- Do not switch the flame off.
- Transfer the seeds from the pan and into a wide mixing bowl. Let it cool.
- Return the pan to stovetop, add the oats and dry roast until you get a pleasant aroma.
- Switch off the flame and let them cool completely.
- In a blender/mixer, finely powder the sugar & cardamoms, hemp seeds and oats, separately one after another.
- Transfer these powders wide mixing bowl and combine them well.
- Warm the ghee/butter, and start pouring the warm ghee into the mixing bowl slowly with a tablespoon.
- Combine the flour mix thoroughly with the ghee, using your hands and shape the laddoos/balls as you pour the ghee/butter for enough consistency of getting a ball.
- Arrange the shaped laddoos / balls in a wide plate / sheet for them to dry.
- Arrange the each cashew nut onto each laddoo and give a light press with your thumb. Done!!
- In case you dont have / do not prefer hemp seeds, just replace them with sesame seeds, or sunflowerseeds or just oats too.
- Keep stirring continuously while roasting, so that you dont burn it.
- Be generous while using the ghee/butter in making the laddoos/balls.
- You can serve the laddoos soon as you shape them but you can even dry them for 20 mins.
- Store them in an air-tight container for longer shelf life.
- These stay good upto a 7-10 days at room temperature, and upto a month when refrigerated.
- These Oats – Hemp Seeds Energy Balls / laddoos tasted slight different with the addition of hemp seeds, but they were damn good to taste.
- These laddoos are a good source of instant energy foods which can be eaten for any meal of the day.
- My family loved the taste of these laddoos / balls during this festive season.
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can find my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category