Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:15 mins CookTime:20 mins Cuisine:Indian
Sabudana/Saggubiyyam/Sago have few most important health benefits like they are, rich in starch, low in fat, useful for weight loss. But on the contrary, they do not have any essential nutrients. So, they are in general used along with any other nutritional ingredient.
Payasam is the Telugu (a South Indian Language) word for a an age old traditional Indian sweet dish/dessert, that is made with any rice or lentil thats cooked with milk , sweetened with sugar or jaggery, and then topped with dry fruits & nuts fried in ghee or butter.
This Payasam or Kheer (as called in Hindi) is a Sabudana/sago based one which needs more time when compared to other varieties, for the additional time is taken for soaking. The same recipe can be Vegan if the milk is replaced for coconut milk/any plant based milk.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
My Dessert recipes collection here⇒ Desserts / Mithayi
Traditional Festive Recipes collection⇒ Traditional Indian Recipes for Festivals / Panduga Nayivedyalu
Starter / Appetiser recipes collection⇒ Starters / Snacks
- Kobbari Annam / Coconut Rice
- Carrot-Coconut Halwa / Carrot-Kobbari Halwa
- Pesarapappu Payasam / Yellow Moong Dal Kheer
- Saggubiyyam /Sabudana /Sago – 1 cup
- Sugar / Jaggery – 1 cup
- Milk – 4 cups
- Desiccated Coconut / Fresh Grated Coconut – ¼ cup
- Raisins / Kishmish – 10
- Cashew Nuts – 10
- Almonds – 10
- Ghee – 3 tablespoons
- Cardamom pods – 4
- Saffron / Kesar – few strands
- Water – 1 cup
- First, take the sabudana/sago wash them couple of times.
- Fill it with water (¾ cup) and set it aside for 15 mins. Sabudana / Sago washed and set aside for soaking
- Chop the nuts you prefer to add and Powder the cardamom pods. Put aside.
- Put a thick bottomed pan / vessel on stovetop under low flame.
- Add one tablespoon of ghee / butter and add all the dry fruits & nuts.
- Fry them until they turn light brown in colour.
- Take them aside into a separate plate.
- In the same pan add the milk and let it boil upto 7-8 mins
- Once the milk is half boiled add the saffron strands and the powdered cardamom.
- Give a stir, and add the soaked sabudana/sago along with the water.Soaked Sabudana/Sago along with water, added to the boiling milk
- Let the sabudaana/sago cook along with milk, until the sabudaana/sago seeds becomes transparent.
- Then add the desiccated/fresh grated coconut, mix everything and let the content thicken.Desiccated Coconut added to the boiled milk in the pan
- When the content in the pan thickens, add the sugar and remaining 2 tablespoons of ghee/butter.
- Gently mix the whole content from bottom and let the vessel be on stove until the sugar is melted completely. This might take 1-2mins. Sugar being added to the thickened content of pan
- Switch the flame off & remove the vessel from stove top.
- Garnish with fried dry fruits & nuts and serve. Done!!Saggubiyyam Payasam/ Sabudana Kheer/ Sago-Milk Pudding garnished with dry fruits and nuts
- Whatever might be the size of your cup, the ratio of the ingredients would be the same.
- You can eliminate adding the ghee to the recipe (except for frying the dry fruits).
- If you are a vegan you can use a non-dairy (plant based) milk , butter.
- Don’t worry if you have added more milk, the sabudana/sago would absorb the milk and make the outcome thick and creamy after a while.
- You can add either sugar or jaggery as sweetener, either of them tastes good.
- You can add any dry fruits and nuts of your choice.
- This sweet dish can be served hot or chilled too.
- This dessert stays good at room temperature for one day but stays good upto 3-4 days when refrigerated.
- The taste of this dessert is very creamy and nutty.
- The texture is very soft, nothing to chew/bite except for the dry fruits.Saggubiyyam Payasam/ Sabudana Kheer/ Sago-Milk Pudding garnished with dry fruits and nuts
You can Pin it here for later use, Pinterest Link :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category