Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
Prep Time:10mins CookTime:20mins Cuisine:Indian
Whenever I soak red beans / rajma this is a must and should recipe my family craves for. You can make any number of variations in the ingredients, but this is the version that I follow. I skip few and use more other ingredients like coriander, basil etc in the same recipe. Just add whatever you ingredients you might have, and enjoy different taste of these nuggets / fritters every time.
Health Benefits of Red Kidney Beans / Rajma
Red Kidney Beans / Rajma offer amazing health benefits. Some of them are⇒⇒ Lowers cholesterol, high dietary fibre, improves memory, boosts energy, Anti-oxidant properties, powerhouse of proteins, natural detoxifier, prevents hypertension (info from internet).
How to serve Red Kidney Beans Nuggets
Make ahead the patties and freeze them, but fry them only before serving. You can use these patties/nuggets for any burger, in any sandwich, as a side for your spaghetti, noodles, rice, or just have them as it is with any sauce/dip. Give it a go then!!
Recipe for Chutney in the pic⇒ Capsicum – Tomato Chutney / Pachchadi
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Starter recipes collection here⇒ Starters / Snacks
- Rajma – Palak Masala / Red Kidney Beans – Spinach Curry
- Sprouted Red Beans – Potato Salad / Chat
- Mint-Coconut Chutney / Pudina-Kobbari Pachchadi
- Dry Rajma / Red Kidney Beans / Beans Sprouts – 1 cup
- Chopped Onions – ¼ cup
- Whole Black Pepper – ¼ teaspoon
- Green Chillies – 2
- Ginger pieces – 1 tablespoon
- Garlic pieces – 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Mint Leaves – ¼ cup
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric – ¼ teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Rice flour – 1 teaspoon
- Chickpea Flour / Besan – 1 teaspoon
- Curry Powder / Garam Masala – ½ teaspoon
- Spring Onion Greens – 1 tablespoon (for garnish)
- Water – for soaking & grinding
- Cooking Oil – as required (for deep fry)
- Green Chillies
- Curry Powder / Garam Masala
Step wise pics Procedure for Rajma vada / red beans nuggets:
- If using dry red kidney beans
- Firstly, take the rajma / red kidney beans wash them well twice or thrice with cold water.
- Add water upto 3 inches above the beans and let them soak at room temperature for upto 7-8 hrs. After that, drain the water.
- If using canned red kidney beans just ignore the above steps. Follow the recipe from next step.
- For sprouts, click this link for detailed procedure⇒ Sprouts
- Take the rajma/beans into a food processor/blender/mixer.
- Then add the salt, turmeric, onion pieces, green chillies, ginger pieces, garlic pieces (optional), mint leaves, jeera/cumin, whole black pepper, into the same.
- Grind them into coarse batter.
- Mix everything gently. Keep aside.
- Put a frying pan with enough of cooking oil (for deep frying) on the stovetop under high flame.
- Meanwhile, make small balls with the batter. Then press each ball into flat patties with your thumb finger.
- When the oil is perfectly hot, gently drop these patties to fry.
- Fry them on one side for 2-3 mins and then flip them back to the other side gently.
- Fry on the other side also for 1-2 mins / until they turn golden brown.
- Once the vada(s) or fritters are fried to golden brown colour, take them out using the ladle onto a plate with paper towel on. Done!!
- Skip any ingredient, if you are out of stock.
- Soaking the rajma/beans might take more time in winters.
- Don’t worry if you have soaked the rajma/beans for more time than required.
- Do not throw away the soaked water . You can use them for mixing the flour for roti.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- The oil for deep frying must be perfectly hot, to test this just drop a small blob of batter into the oil and check .
- If you would like to avoid deep frying you can try these in an air-fryer too.
- You can store the batter or patties in the refrigerator and fry vada(s) or nuggets when needed.
- These rajma vada / red beans nuggets, are perfectly crispy on the outside and soft in the inside.
- The flavour of mint, masala, ginger is very much evident in every bite.
- I served them with Capsicum – Tomato Chutney / Pachchadi , tomato sauce and sliced green cucumbers.
You can Pinit here for later use :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category