Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:15 mins Cooking Time:5 mins Cuisine:Indian
I used to trash the beetroot stalks & greens. I never used them until I started using them for making these healthy roti/chapati/tortillas.
At first, I was a bit hesitant in using these greens and pink stalks. But after reading many articles I found its amazing health merits. Beetroot Stalks & Greens, have these health benefits, are low in fat, low in cholestrol, high in fiber, high in Vitamin B6. (info from internet).
I even incorporated these lovely greens & stalks in few of my own recipes, I hereby, am sharing one of the recipes I liked the most.
Generally, paratha is an Indian flat bread made with whole wheat flour that has some vegetable stuffing in it. The stuffing & the dough are prepared separately. But I always mix up the veggies and flour togerther and then make the dough together. Which makes my life easier and quicker. And so I called these as Roti rather than Paratha 🙂
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned in the end.
My Main Course collection⇒ Main Course
- Beetroot Stalk & Greens – 1 cup
- Whole Wheat Flour / Aatta – 2 cups
- Salt – as per taste
- Green Chillies – 6
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Curry Powder / Garam Masala Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Garlic – 1 clove (optional)
- Warm Water – as needed
- Cooking Oil – as needed
- Warm Water
- Curry Powder / Garam Masala Powder
- Cut & Separate the beetroot bulbs from its stalks & greens.
- Wash them thoroughly under running water.
- Tear the greens and break the stalks into small pieces using your hands.
- Take them into the processor / chop them finely with a knife.
- Add the green chillies, ginger pieces, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, salt to the same.
- Grind them coarsely. If not a processor, use a mixie / blender.
- Add the Whole Wheat Flour, Curry Powder, Salt to the same.
- Knead it to smooth dough by adding warm water little by little.
- Make the dough into small balls, and roll it across a flat platform using a rolling pin.
- Put a roti griddle on stove top under high flame.
- When its hot, gently tranfer this flattened round roti onto the griddle.
- Spread few drops of oil throughout and let it cook on both sides, until you get brown spots here and there. See pic below.
- Cook the same way on both sides, then transfer each into a serving dish.
- Repeat the same for other flattened dough.Done!!
- I used my food processor for shredding the greens. You can use a mixer / mixie for the same.
- I used my food processor for making the chapati / tortilla dough, if not you can do the same using your hands.
- You can use any masala powder for flavouring, like rasam powder, sambar powder, amchur powder too.
- These paratha/tortilla can be made ahead and stored in freezer for upto couple of months.
- Just reheat them on the tawa/pan before serving.
- These roti / tortilla tasted very well, without any hint of beetroot breens & stalks we used. Except for the colour.
- We had them with Tomato Raita / Tomato-Yogurt Dip and salad on the side.
- We and our kids, relished these red roti(s) so much that we felt like wanting more than 2.
You can Pinit here for later use:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can find my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category