Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:5mins CookTime:15mins Cuisine:Indian
Mint – Carrot Rice is my newest try with left over rice. For a reason, I feel quite satisfied (actually a bit of proud 🙂 ) about this dish. These mint leaves I used here are from my small plant in my kitchen. Yes, its growing perfectly even in this cold weather.
And yes, using our home grown veggies / herbs, gives an accomplished feeling. Waiting for summer to plant more such plants in the backyard.
As a side, I made a simple raita using fresh chilled homemade yogurt, powdered black peppercorns and chopped coriander leaves. It made a complete meal along with the fruits.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips which I mentioned at the end.
My other Rice recipes here⇒ Main Course
Kids Lunch Box collection here⇒ Lunch Box
- Mint-Coconut Chutney / Pudina-Kobbari Pachchadi
- Pudina Raita / Mint-Yogurt Dip
- Jeera Pulao / Cumin Rice
- Cooked Rice – from 1 cup of rice grains
- Fresh Mint Leaves – a handful
- Carrots – 4 (small)
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Onions – 2 (small)
- Green Chillies – 6
- Ginger piece – 1 inch piece
- Garlic – 2 cloves (optional)
- Star Anise – 1
- Cardamom / Dalchini – 2
- Black Peppercorns – 1 teaspoon
- Cloves – 4
- Bay Leaves – 4
- Salt – as per taste
- Cashew Nuts – 10
- Basmati Rice
- Green Chillies
- Cashew Nuts
- Wash the mint leaves, peel and grate the carrots, slit the green chillies length wise, chop the ginger, garlic (optional) and onions.
- Put a frying pan on stovetop under medium flame.
- Dry roast the mint leaves, take them into grinder / mixie along with green chillies to make fine paste.
- Add oil and let it heat.
- Fry the cashew nuts and take them aside.
- Saute all the spices -> bay leaves, black peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon sticks, star anise, chopped ginger, chopped garlic (optional).
- Add the onions and fry them until soft. Repeat the same for grated carrots.
- Then add the salt, mint paste, give a mix and simmer for 1 min.
- If LeftOverRice: Add the cooked rice into the same pan, mix everything. Switch the flame off after 2-3 mins. Done!
- If Freshly Cooked Rice: Transfer the content in the pan onto the cooked rice, mix everything thoroughly. Done!
Step wise pic recipe below:
Wash the mint, peel and grate the carrots, slit the green chillies length wise, chop the ginger, slice the onions.
Grind the dry roasted mint leaves, slit green chillies into fine paste.
Add the oil, bay leaves, cinnamon, black peppercorn, cloves, star anise, chopped ginger, chopped garlic (optional) into a frying pan and saute.
Add the onion slices, fry them until they soften and then add the grated carrot.
Fry the grated carrot for 3-4 mins, then add the salt, mint paste and simmer for 1 min.
Add the rice to the pan, give everything a thorough mix, put it on flame for 2 mins. Then switch off and serve. Done!!
Mint-Carrot Rice in a serving dish, garnished with fried cashew nuts. With raita made with fresh homemade curds.
- Basmati Rice suits best here, but tastes good even with any other rice variety.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- You can store this dish upto a week, in the fridge and just re-heat before serving.
- Obviously, the flavour of mint is dominating the dish and that turns out to be the positive effect too.
- The carrots in between the rice, added sweetness to it.
- It has become my kids favourite rice recipe for school lunch box, and good for me to use up any left over rice.
- We had fresly made raita from homemade curds/yogurt as a side. That made a complete meal.
You can Pinit here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category