Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:20 mins Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Fresh Coconut Fudge / Burfi, my 200th recipe till date!! Yaaayy!! 🙂 And my first recipe for this Indian festive (deepavali) season. I had few fresh coconuts left over after the Navaratri pooja. So, the first thing that strike me, was to make these juicy sweet treats. This is such an easy recipe, made with minimalist ingredients that involves a bit of PATIENCE.
Do trust me, the output is so worthy, that I forgot all about the stirring I had to do for a perfect textured fudge pieces.
I have already shared many fudge / burfi recipes previously under dessert / sweets collection.
How to grate fresh coconut from its shell:
Giving these options, assuming that the hard coconut is broken into half.
- Hold one half of the coconut shell with your left hand. Using a small knife, cut the fresh coconut int small pieces. And remove them out of the shell. Take these pieces into a spice grinder / blender, just pulse them. You get finely grated coconut.
- Secondly, you can attach this coconut grater to a hard steady surface. Hold the coconut shell with the left hand, and keep rotating the spiked rotater, which finely scrapes & grates the coconut out of the shell.
I generally use any of these 2 methods, to grate / scrape the coconut out of its shell!!
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Desserts / Sweets recipes collection⇒ Desserts / Mithayi
Festive spread / platters collection⇒ Vindhu Bhojanam / Festive Lunch
Starters recipes collection⇒ Starters / Snacks
Related Posts with COCONUT:
- Fresh Coconut Chutney Powder (Oil Free)
- Carrot-Coconut Laddoo / Sweet Treats
- Pineapple & Coconut Salad / Chat
- Kobbari Annam / Coconut Rice
- Fresh Coconut (grated) – 1 cup
- Sugar – ¾ cups
- Milk / Coconut Milk – ¼ cup
- Ghee / Butter / Coconut Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Elaichi / Cardamom Powder- ½ teaspoon
- Pistachios – 10 (chopped)
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Fresh Coconut Fudge / Burfi’:
- Vegan substitute for ghee is coconut oil and for milk is coconut milk.
- You can peel the brown skin of the coconut pieces, if you wish to.
- I have used unrefined cane sugar, hence the colour of the burfi is not white. Use white sugar to get that white colour.
- Throughout the cooking, keep the flame at LOW only, if not there are bright chances of the coconut to burn.
- Be very careful that the content doesn’t stick to the bottom & burn.
- Be aware, that if burnt the smell cannot be avoided.
- Once you cut the pieces, trim the edges for a smooth finish.
- Storage: Store the fudge / burfi pieces in an air-tight container.
- These stay fresh up to 3 weeks at room temperature and up to 2-3 months when stored in fridge.
- These Fresh Coconut Fudge / Burfi, are chewy in texture.
- You can feel the juicy sugar syrup dripping for every bite.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Fresh Coconut Fudge / Kobbari Burfi
- Sauce Pan / Vessel (for stove-top method)
- 1 cup Fresh Grated Coconut
- ¾ cup Sugar
- ¼ cup Milk (coconut milk for vegan)
- 2 tablespoons Ghee / Butter (coconut oil for vegan)
- ½ teaspoon Elaichi / Cardamom Powder
- 10 no. Pistachios (chopped)
- Put a thick bottomed vessel on stove top under LOW flame. Add a tablespoon of ghee / butter, when it melts add all the grated coconut.
- Keep stirring continuously, until you get a pleasant aroma / until the coconut turns dry as shown. (might take 5-6 mins)
- Add all the sugar into the pan and mix up everything.
- Now, pour the milk, mix and keep stirring.
- Keep stirring continuously, until the content becomes a thick mass. (might take 15 to 20 mins)
- At this stage, add the cardamom powder, remaining ghee / butter, mix up thoroughly. Switch off the flame.
- Transfer the whole content of the pan, onto a greased tray.
- Sprinkle the chopped pistachios over and gently press with the back of a spoon / ladle such that they stick to the burfi.
- Using a sharp knife, make the markings of desired shape.
- Leave it to set for at least 30 mins to 1 hr. Cut into pieces, store them in an air-tight container. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category