Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:Italian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Of course, this is not my own recipe or something that I have learnt from my Mother, for sure. During those days, unlike these days, Italian dishes were not available in India.
I never tasted spaghetti / pasta until I got married. 🙂 And then I realised how delicious Italian cuisine was. But , pasta and spaghetti became part of our regular diet , only after my elder daughter was 2 yr old.
With the fact, that its very cheesy , creamy and filling I introduced these yummy platter to her. Moreover, these are the most quick, easy and simple to make even for me, as a working woman (during those years).
Possible alterations for the recipe, ‘Basil Pesto Peas Spaghetti’:
Pesto variety to use: You might try the same recipe with my homemade, Kale & Walnut Pesto Sauce (Dairy Free), (or) you might use any other Pesto Sauce too. Even store bought Pesto sauce works well.
Using more cheese: If you prefer more cheesy, feel free to add more as per your taste.
Pesto Quantity: But if the quantity of the pesto sauce seems less, just remember that it might give bitter taste if too much is added.
To get more creamy texture: Try to replace half the quantity of milk with cream, to get that thick & more creamy texture.
Cheese that I used here: Mozzarella cheese, Cheddar Cheese & Plant Based Vegan cheese are the 3 varieties that I tried in 3 different instances for the same recipe. Tasted absolutely great with either of them.
Vegan Cheese Options: Plant Based Vegan cheese worked absolutely great for this recipe.
Using Vegan Milk: This recipe is also tried by me with Coconut Milk, it was absolutely flawless.
Why Basil Pesto Peas Spaghetti:
The actual recipe is, Basil Pesto Pasta , which I prepare in general. But, the day when I fixed up my mind and even told my family about what I am going to cook for lunch, I found that my pantry doesn’t have any pasta.
A pack of Whole wheat Spaghetti , is all that I could find. I did not want to disappoint my kids, so I thought I shall try the same recipe with Spaghetti instead of pasta. But, believe me they loved this, Basil pesto peas spaghetti, the same way as pasta. Problem solved.
Sharing the same recipe with you all now. Try this and let me know how it turned up.:-)
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned in the end.
Main Course recipes Collection⇒ Main Course
Instant Pot Pressure Cooker Recipes⇒ Electric Pressure Cooker / Indstant Pot Recipes
Starter / Appetiser recipes collection here⇒ Starters / Snacks
My kids lunch boxes collection⇒ Lunch Box
- Chana / Chickpea Sprouts & Basil Sandwich
- Spring Onion Pulao / Salad Onion Rice
- Red Kidney Beans Nuggets / Rajma – Masala Vada / Fritters
- Whole Wheat Spaghetti – 500 gm / 1 pound approx.
- Salt – 2 teaspoon / as per taste
- Green Peas – 1 cup
- Basil leaves – 1 cup (packed)
- Garlic pods (or garlic powder) – 3 (1 teaspoon powder)
- Pine nuts – 2 heaped tablespoons
- Black/White pepper powder – 1 tablespoon
- Olive oil – 4 tablespoons (for pesto)
- “” – 4 tablespoons (for spaghetti)
- Cheese – 3 heaped cups (or) as per taste
- Milk – 2½ cups
- Water – as required
- Red Chilli Flakes – 1 tablespoon
- Olive oil
- Pine nuts
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Basil Pesto Peas Spaghetti’:
TO MAKE ‘BASIL PESTO’ SAUCE:
- Take the basil leaves , pine nuts , pepper powder, garlic pods (optional) and 1 cup of cheese into the food processor / mixie.
- Give a pulse and then add the 4 tablespoons of olive oil and the process/blend them again. Make it into a fine paste.
- This mix itself is called as Pesto.
STOVE TOP METHOD to MAKE SPAGHETTI:
INSTANT POT METHOD to make SPAGHETTI:
- You can even use any variety of pasta or spaghetti for the same dish.
- Any cheese of your choice is suitable here.
- Vegans will have to replace the cheese and milk to ‘free from/plant based’ variety.
- Be very careful while boiling the spaghetti in water, so that it mustn’t turn sticky which spoils the entire texture of the dish.
- Don’t throw the water you get after draining the cooked spaghetti. You might use it for making the roti, paratha dough. I use it that way.
- You might even use the Spaghetti boiled water, to loosen the spaghetti but at the same time can reduce the quanity of milk.
- If you are not using frozen green peas, get them cooked before using them.
- For the stove top method: After boiling the spaghetti try to use as soon as possible, if not they might stick to each other.
- To check for the spaghetti is cooked or not, just take a piece of it and press it in between your finger tips.
- In case you do not have tongs, you can use two wooden ladles in both the hands.
- Stove Top Pressure Cooker Method: Follow the same steps as of Instant Pot Method. But let it whistle only once. Remove the lid after the pressure is released.
- The taste of this, Basil pesto peas spaghetti, is just awesome.
- Its very creamy, cheesy and soft in texture, at the same time has the strong flavour of basil
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Basil Pesto Peas Spaghetti
- Sauce Pan / Vessel (for stove-top method)
- Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker (for IP method)
- 500 gms Whole Wheat Spaghetti (1 pound approx.)
- 2 teaspoons Salt (or as per taste)
- 1 cup Green Peas
- 1 cup Fresh Basil leaves (packed)
- 3 count Crushed Garlic pods / Garlic Powder (1 teaspoon powder) (optional)
- 2 heaped tablespoons Pine nuts
- 1 tablespoons Black / White pepper powder
- 4 tablespoons Olive oil (for pesto)
- 4 tablespoons "" (for spaghetti)
- 3 cups Cheese (heaped cups)
- 2½ cups Milk
- 1 tablespoon Red Chilli Flakes
- as required Water
TO MAKE BASIL PESTO SAUCE:
- Take the basil leaves , pine nuts , pepper powder, garlic pods (optional) and 1 cup of cheese into the food processor / mixie.Give a pulse and then add the 4 tablespoons of olive oil and the process/blend them again. Make it into a fine paste.This mix itself is called as Pesto.
TO MAKE SPAGHETTI with BASIL PESTO:
STOVE TOP METHOD (15 to 20 mins):
- In a wide bottomed pan pour enough water (to boil the spaghetti) and put it on stove top under high flame. Once the water starts bubbling add a teaspoon of salt and 1 teaspoon of oil. Put in all of the spaghetti into the pan, don't put the lid on.
- It might take 8-10 mins (approximately) for the spaghetti to get cooked. When the spaghetti is cooked, transfer whole of the spaghetti and water into a colander. Drain the water into a different vessel.
- Put the pan back on the stove under medium flame. Add the milk and remaining cheese. While the cheese gets melted add the green peas.
- When the cheese is completely melted, then add the pesto sauce that we made. Give a quick mix and leave it for 2-3 mins, till everything is well combined.
- Now, add a teaspoon of salt, olive oil and transfer all of the spaghetti using the tongs into the pan. Gently turn and roll the spaghetti with the creamy mixture such that every string has caught up the creamy texture. Switch the flame off and serve immediately. Top up with red chilli flakes. Done!!
INSTANT POT / ELECTRIC PRESSURE COOKER METHOD(8 to 10 mins):
- Into the Instant Pot vessel, add 1 tablespoon of oil, spread it throughout the bottom.Gently place the spaghetti (each stick halved or quartered). Pour water (3 cups) .
- Close the lid, close the valve, set the mode to PRESSURE COOK, pressure level to high pressure, for 4 mins.
- When the time reaches 0, release the pressure manually by opening the valve. Open the IP lid, fluff up the cooked spaghetti using tongs.
- Add all these to the vessel>>>> milk, cheese, pesto sauce, dry red chilli flakes, salt, crushed black pepper, remaining oil, green peas.
- Now, switch ON the gadget, set the mode to SAUTE, for 4 mins. Do not put the lid.
- When it starts the heat, gently mix up / toss everything using tongs. See that the cheese is melted and every single spaghetti string is coated with the sauce.
- Then, switch OFF the gadget. Transfer the content to the serving bowl.Top up with red chilli flakes. Done!
You can Pin it here for later use :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can find my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category