Recipe Baked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
During the December holiday season, I truly wanted to bake a healthy fruit cake for my cuties. As we are vegetarians, I wanted a recipe without any egg in it. And we are teetotal (non-alcoholic) as well.
I had explored various recipes across the web. Most of them had eggs or alcohol or both 🙁 Moreover most of the recipes that I saw needed soaking of fruits which I wished to avoid and give a try.
Hence, with all these in mind I came up with an eggless, whole wheat flour, butter free cake that has the raw brown sugar and is highly filled with dry fruits and nuts. I used ripen bananas instead of eggs.
The dry fruits that I used in the cake are apricots, green raisins, sultanas, mixed raisins and prunes. Nuts I added are almonds, cashews, pistachios, walnuts. To give up more protein boost I felt why not some seeds into the cake . Hence, added sunflower seeds too… 🙂
At last here comes my cake ..I do not know if my version is called a plum cake or not. But its a real healthy cake for sure and delicious too!!!
Update: Last sunday, I made a cake with the same recipe but I used normal Chapati/Atta flour. Cake camoe out as perfect as its in the pics above.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips which I mentioned at the end.
You might see all my Baking recipes here⇒ Baking
- Bananas (ripe) – 6 medium size
- Oil – ½ cup
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda – 1 teaspoon
- Dry fruits – ½ cup
- Nuts – ½ cup
- Seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Whole Wheat flour – 1½ cups
- Brown sugar – 1 cup
- Vanilla Essence – 1 teaspoon
- Whole wheat flour
- Brown sugar
- Peel the bananas and in a large mixing bowl mash them up into paste.
- Next , add the oil , vanilla essence and brown sugar to it.
- In the same bowl sieve in the whole wheat flour, baking powder and baking soda .
- Now, gently fold everything with a spatula until dry and wet ingredients blend well.
- Add the half of the chopped nuts , half of the dry fruits and a few seeds.
- Save the remaining nuts, dry fruits and seeds for topping & decoration.
- Again, give a gentle mix .
- Line in the cake tin or loaf tin with parchment paper after applying the tin with a few drops of oil.
- Fill half of the cake mix in the tin.
- Top up with around half of remaining dry fruits, nuts and seeds on the cake mix.
- Empty the rest of the cake mix on to the cake tin.
- Then, top up this layer with remaining nuts and dry fruits.
- Preheat the oven at 180°C.
- Place the cake tin in the pre-heated oven.
- Bake it for about 40 to 45 minutes.
- Continue Baking until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Then, take the tin off the oven and let it cool on a cooling rack.
- The flour which I used is Whole Wheat flour which is used for making breads.
- Update: Last sunday, I made a cake with the same recipe but I used normal Chapati/Atta flour. Cake camoe out as perfect as its in the pics above.
- Do not overmix the flour and other ingredients.
- Using brown sugar and whole wheat flour brings the perfect brown colour to the cake.
- You can add any oil like vegetable oil or sunflower oil. I have used sunflower oil.
- Select the dry fruits and nuts and seeds of your choice.
- The colour of the cake is dusky and had rough texture to look.
- It is very soft from inside, nutty and crunchy in texture.
- The cake was all fruity and nutty to look at.
- As I added loads of dry fruits, nuts and seeds in every layer of the batter, every bite of the cake had the nutty taste as well as fruity flavour.
- It’s certainly packed with all necessary ingredients for health benefits.
You can Pinit here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can find my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category