Recipe Baked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
During the December holiday season, I truly wanted to bake a healthy fruit cake for my cuties. As we are vegetarians, I wanted a recipe without any egg in it. And we are teetotal (non-alcoholic) as well.
I had explored various recipes across the web. Most of them had eggs or alcohol or both 🙁 Moreover most of the recipes that I saw needed soaking of fruits which I wished to avoid and give a try.
Hence, with all these in mind I came up with an eggless, whole wheat flour, butter free cake that has the raw brown sugar and is highly filled with dry fruits and nuts. I used ripen bananas instead of eggs.
The dry fruits that I used in the cake are apricots, green raisins, sultanas, mixed raisins and prunes. Nuts I added are almonds, cashews, pistachios, walnuts. To give up more protein boost I felt why not some seeds into the cake . Hence, added sunflower seeds too… 🙂
At last here comes my cake ..I do not know if my version is called a plum cake or not. But its a real healthy cake for sure and delicious too!!!
Update: Last sunday, I made a cake with the same recipe but I used normal Chapati/Atta flour. Cake came out as perfect as its in the pic below.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
My other Baking recipes here⇒ Baking
- Chocolate & Walnut Fudge / Burfi
- Healthy Treat
- Blueberry Parfait with Fresh Cream – No Bake! No Cook!
- Bananas (ripe) – 6 medium size
- Oil – ½ cup
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda – 1 teaspoon
- Dry fruits – ½ cup
- Nuts – ½ cup
- Seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Whole Wheat flour – 1½ cups
- Brown sugar – 1 cup
- Vanilla Essence – 1 teaspoon
- Whole wheat flour
- Brown sugar
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Eggless healthy dry fruits cake’:
- Peel the bananas and in a large mixing bowl mash them up into paste.
- Next , add the oil , vanilla essence and brown sugar to it.
- In the same bowl sieve in the whole wheat flour, baking powder and baking soda .
- Now, gently fold everything with a spatula until dry and wet ingredients blend well.
- Add the half of the chopped nuts , half of the dry fruits and a few seeds.
- Save the remaining nuts, dry fruits and seeds for topping & decoration.
- Again, give a gentle mix .
- Line in the cake tin or loaf tin with parchment paper after applying the tin with a few drops of oil.
- Fill half of the cake mix in the tin.
- Top up with around half of remaining dry fruits, nuts and seeds on the cake mix.
- Empty the rest of the cake mix on to the cake tin.
- Then, top up this layer with remaining nuts and dry fruits.
- Preheat the oven at 180°C.
- Place the cake tin in the pre-heated oven.
- Bake it for about 40 to 45 minutes. Done!!
To make cupcakes:
- You can use the same cake batter / mix to make cup cakes.
- Layer the cupcake moulds with cupcake papers.
- Just pour the batter up to half of the level of the cupcake moulds.
- Place the cupcake tin in the pre-heated oven. Bake for 20-22 mins.
- Continue Baking until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Then, take the tin off the oven and let it cool on a cooling rack. Done!!
- The flour which I used is Whole Wheat flour which is used for making breads.
- Update: Last Sunday, I made a cake with the same recipe but I used normal Chapati/Atta flour. Cake came out as perfect as its in the pics above.
- Do not over mix the flour and other ingredients.
- Using brown sugar and whole wheat flour brings the perfect brown colour to the cake.
- You can add any oil like vegetable oil or sunflower oil. I have used sunflower oil.
- Select the dry fruits and nuts and seeds of your choice.
- The colour of the cake is dusky and had rough texture to look.
- It is very soft from inside, nutty and crunchy in texture.
- The cake was all fruity and nutty to look at.
- As I added loads of dry fruits, nuts and seeds in every layer of the batter, every bite of the cake had the nutty taste as well as fruity flavour.
- It’s certainly packed with all necessary ingredients for health benefits.
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can find my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category