Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:5 mins CookTime:10-12 mins Cuisine:Indian
Capsicum is one vegetable that is low in Saturated Fat, and very low in Cholesterol. It is a good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin-C and Vitamin-K. This is what I learnt about this veggie (info from internet).
This, Bell Pepper Sesame curry recipe is with my own copyright. Hahaha…I meant to say that ,it is not the one which I learnt from my dear Mother. I surely make this curry / koora very frequently. As, nuvvulu / sesame is one of the good sources of calcium and iron. This, one fact is what I learnt from my Mother, about sesame seeds.
Moreover, it can be served either with any rice, poori,roti,chapati, or pulao. and takes just 15 mins max to make this simple yet spicy curry/koora.
This is my way of making it, just try it and see how you like it.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips which I mentioned at the end.
My Curry recipes collection here⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
- Bell Pepper – Lentil Fritters / Capsicum Punugulu
- Tri-Capsicum Chinese Fried Rice
- Ragi-Nuvvula Laddu / Millet-Sesame Sweet Balls / Bhakri-Til Laddoo
- Capsicum / Bell Peppers / Shimla Mirch – 4
- Onion – 4
- Salt – 2½ teaspoons
- Red Chilly powder – 3 teaspoons
- Nuvvulu / Til / Sesame seeds – [1 heaped teaspoon + 2 tablespoons]
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoon
- Coriander chopped – 2 tablespoons
- Turmeric – ¼ teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies – 3
- Nuvvulu / Til / Sesame seeds – powder
- Put a frying pan on stovetop under medium flame and add the sesame seeds.
- Dry roast by stirring continuously, until you get a nice aroma / the seeds turn golden colour.
- Take them off the pan into a blender/mixie. Let them cool.
- Place the pan back on stovetop and add 2 tablespoons of cooking oil.
- Add the mustard seeds,cumin seeds,turmeric and sesame seeds (1 heaped teaspoon) into the pan. Mix up everything. Tempering
- Parallely, cut the onions into small cube size pieces.
- Check if the items (for tempering) in the pan, have tossed well in the oil.
- Then add the dry red chillies just by breaking them into half with your fingers.
- Now, increase the heat to medium/high .
- Add the onions into the pan of tempering.Onions added into tempering
- Let the onions become soft. This might take 2-3 mins.
- In the meanwhile , cut the capsicum/bell peppers into small cube size pieces.While onions soften,capsicum being cut
- Check for the onions to become transparent.Onions softened
- At this stage, add all the pieces of capsicum into the pan. Add the salt as well.
- Gently mix everything , such that the pieces are coated well with the salt and tempering.Capsicum/Bell Peppers added to the pan along with salt.
- Cover the pan completely with lid, for 3-4 mins. Let it steam cook.
- In the meanwhile, grind the roasted sesame seeds which we kept in the blender for cooling. Make into powder.Keep aside.
- Coming to the pan, remove lid, give a stir and then cover the pan partly with lid just. For more 3-4 mins.
- Now, stir once and let it cook for 2 more minutes, without lid.Before adding the spice powders
- After 2 mins, add the sesame seeds powder, red chilli powder and (remaining) one tablespoon of oil.
- Give a thorough mix and let it stay on the stovetop for 1-2 mins.
- Transfer the curry into a serving bowl, and garnish it with chopped coriander leaves. Done!!
- Take a frying pan suitable size enough to cook the curry/sabzi and use the same pan to dry roast the sesame seeds. It saves time for cleaning.
- Ground the roasted sesame seeds in a blender/mixie only when they are completely cooled. If not it might become a paste rather than powder.
- While the tempering is being done, you can cut the capsicum and onions, until the tempering seeds have changed their colour into golden.
- Adjust the salt & spice as per your taste.
- This, Bell Pepper Sesame curry stays good upto 2 days at room temperature and can be stored in refrigerator upto a week.
- I really LOVE this, Bell Pepper Sesame curry to the core, for many reasons.
- It tastes equally good with any rice, chapati, any pulao, for sandwich, paratha, roti.Spicy Capsicum-Sesame curry served with hot rice!
You can Pinit here for later use :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category