Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
South Indian, Sesame Rice / Til Chawal / Nuvvula Annam (as they say in Telugu), is a South Indian style flavoured rice recipe. This recipe is made using white sesame seeds (Til in Hindi) as the main ingredient, where a simple spice powder is prepared freshly to add to the leftover cooked rice.
It’s one of the most important rice options for Indian Nayivedyam/ Pooja Offering for God. Check my collection>> Traditional Indian Festival Recipes / Panduga Nayivedyalu
This simple yet delicious rice recipe is a good option to use up, left over rice. And solves that daily morning routine of kids lunch box menu. Its very much approved by my kids (as we need to get it 🙂 )
Table of Contents:
- Health Benefits of ‘Nuvvula Annam / Sesame seeds Indian Flavoured Rice’:
- Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘South Indian style Sesame Seeds Rice / Til ke Chawal’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Sesame Rice / Til Chawal / Nuvvula Annam (Indian recipe)’:
- Prepare Spice Powder:
- Cooking ‘South Indian Sesame Rice / Nuvvula Annam’:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
Health Benefits of ‘Nuvvula Annam / Sesame seeds Indian Flavoured Rice’:
Sesame seeds are an excellent source of calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, vitamin B1, zinc, molybdenum, selenium, and dietary fibre.
To conclude, this is a calcium enriched rice recipe suitable for Plant based, Vegan, Vegetarian, Gluten free, Soy free, Nut free, kids friendly diets.
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘South Indian style Sesame Seeds Rice / Til ke Chawal’:
Adding onions: Finely chopped onions (½ cup), can be added to the pan, along with the other ‘Ingredients for tempering’.
Vegetables to add: Do not add any vegetables, this is an authentic recipe with simple ingredients and great flavour.
Oil to use: Sesame seeds oil works best for this recipe. But, regularly used, other cooking oils can also be used.
Alternative to dry red chillies: While grinding the roasted sesame seeds, you can add Kashmiri red chilli powder (2 teaspoons) to the spice blender.
Making Nut free: Eliminate adding the peanuts.
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Meal recipes collection⇒ Main Course
Kids Lunch Box collection⇒ Kids Lunch Box Ideas & Recipes
Instant Pot recipes collection⇒ Electric Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot Recipes
Indian Festival recipes collection⇒ Traditional Indian Festival Recipes / Panduga Nayivedyalu
Related Posts with ‘LEFTOVER RICE’:
- Authentic Lemon Rice / Nimmakaya Pulihora
- Pudina Carrot Pulao / Mint Carrot Rice
- Easy Vegan Indian Fried Rice
- Sweet Corn – Cashew Rice
- Munagaku Pulihora / Moringa / Drumstick Leaves Rice
- Usirikaya Pulihora / Amla / Gooseberry Rice
- White Rice (cooked) – With 2 cups of rice grains
- Salt – 3 teaspoons (or) as per taste
- Cooking Oil – 4 tablespoons
- Green Chillies – 3 (optional)
- Curry Leaves – 10 approx.
- Dry Red Chillies – 8 (long ones)
- Sesame seeds – 3 tablespoons
Ingredients for Tempering:
- Urad dal / Minapappu / Split Black Lentils – 1½ teaspoon
- Mustard seeds / Aavalu – 1 teaspoon
- Chana dal / Split Yellow gram Lentils – 1½ teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Sesame Seeds – 2 teaspoons
- Ground Nuts / Peanuts – 10
- Turmeric Powder – a pinch
- Ground Nuts/Peanuts
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Sesame Rice / Til Chawal / Nuvvula Annam (Indian recipe)’:
Prepare Spice Powder:
Cooking ‘South Indian Sesame Rice / Nuvvula Annam’:
- You can use any type of rice variety. I tried the same recipe using Sona Masoori and Basmati rice. Both turned great.
- White sesame seeds are only preferred for this recipe.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- It can be made with freshly cooked rice (or) with left over rice too. If you are using freshly cooked rice, then widely spread the rice onto a plate, for it to get to room temperature.
- Storage: The spice powder can be made ahead (stored in air tight container) which stays fresh for a week.
- Sesame rice / Til Chawal / nuvvula annam, stays good for 2 days at room temperature.
- It tastes good up to a week, when put in an air-tight container. But, re-heat before serving.
- The taste of this, Sesame rice / Til Chawal / Nuvvula Annam, is absolutely scrumptious with perfect amount of spice.
- The fried peanuts and fried curry leaves, added to its taste too.
- We had this rice along with homemade Tomato Raita / Tomato Yogurt Dip as the side.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Sesame Seeds Rice (South Indian style recipe) / Nuvvula Annam / Til Chawal
- 1 Sauce Pan / Vessel (for stove-top method)
- 1 Blender/ Spice Grinder/ Mixie.
- White Rice (cooked) (with 2 cups of rice grains)
- 3 teaspoons Salt (or as per taste)
- 4 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- ½ teaspoon Hing/Inguva/Asafoetida
- 10 count Curry Leaves
- 8 count Dry Red Chillies (long ones)
- 3 tablespoons White Sesame seeds / Til / Nuvvu Pappu
- 3 count Green Chillies (optional)
Ingredients for Tempering:
- 1½ teaspoon Urad dal / Minapappu / Split Black Lentils
- 1 teaspoon Mustard seeds / Aavalu
- 1½ teaspoon Chana dal / Split Yellow gram Lentils
- ½ teaspoon Jeera / Cumin Seeds
- 3 teaspoons Sesame Seeds / Nuvvulu
- 10 count Ground Nuts / Peanuts – 10
- a pinch Turmeric Powder
Prepare Spice Powder:
- Put a sauce pan / vessel on stove top under medium flame. Add the sesame seeds and dry red chillies. Dry roast by stirring continuously (for 3-4 mins), until the seeds pop up.Switch the flame off, take them into spice blender, once cooled blend into fine powder.
Cooking 'South Indian Sesame Rice / Nuvvula Annam':
- Return the pan back onto stove, under medium flame. Add all the 'Ingredients for tempering'. Stir fry them until they turn light golden in colour.
- Now, add all these>> curry leaves, salt, freshly ground masala powder, slit green chillies (optional). Reduce the flame to lowest. Give a mix.
- Immediately add the cooked white rice. Gently mix up everything, from all sides, such that the masala powder is well coated to the entire rice.
- Switch the flame off, when the rice gets warmed up. Takes 2 to 3 mins. Transfer the rice into a serving dish. Done!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category