Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
Prep Time:10 mins Cooking Time:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
Sesame seeds are an excellent source of copper and a very good source of manganese, but they are also a good source of calcium, magnesium, iron, phosphorus, vitamin B1, zinc, molybdenum, selenium, and dietary fiber.(info from internet)
I am aware of the fact that sesame seeds are a very good source of calcium. And is one of the major sources for vegetarians/vegans specifically. With this in mind, I use / add few sesame seeds in atleast one recipe EVERYDAY.
And this rice recipe using sesame seeds as the main ingredient is an occasional dish I make, usually when I have leftover rice.
We had this rice along with homemade thick yogurt (dairy) topped with fresh pomegranate seeds and chopped white cabbage as salad on the side. Ofcourse, this is a Vegan & Glutenfree rice recipe, approved by my kids (as we need to get it 🙂 )
If you eliminate the onions in this recipe this can definitely be a Nayivedyam/PoojaOffering recipe.
The above mentioned Cooking Time is given in assumption that the rice is already cooked.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips which I mentioned at the end.
You can see all my Meal recipes here⇒ Main Course
- Rice (cooked) – With 3 cups of rice grains
- Salt – 4 teaspoons (or) as per taste
- Cooking Oil – 4 tablespoons
- Hing/Inguva/Asafoetida – ½ teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies – 8
- Green Chillies – 6 to 8
- Curry Leaves – 10 approx.
- Onion – 2 small size
- Sesame seeds – 2 heaped tablespoons
Ingredients for Tempering:
- Urad dal / Minapappu / Split Black gram – 1½ teaspoon
- Mustard seeds / Aavalu – 1 teaspoon
- Chana dal / Split Yellow gram dal – 1½ teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Sesame Seeds – 1 teaspon
- Ground Nuts – 10
- Dry Red Chillies – 3
- Ground Nuts
- Firstly, get the rice cooked and keep it ready.
- Peel the onions and cut into small cube size pieces.
- Slit the green chillies length wise.
- Take a large wide pan (suitable to add the whole rice), put it on stove top under medium flame.
- For Masala Powder: Add the sesame seeds and dry red chillies to the pan.
- Dry roast them until you get a pleasant aroma / till they change the colour as shown in the pic below.
- Take them into a spice blender / mixer, let them cool and grind them into fine powder.
- Put the same pan on the stovetop, under medium flame add the Oil and let it heat.
- Add all the items under ‘Ingredients for Tempering’.
- Saute the tempering items and then add the slit green chillies, onion pieces & curry leaves. See pic below.
- Let the onions soften, then add the salt and the masala powder that we kept ready. See pic below.
- Give everything a mix and then add the cooked rice.
- Then thoroughly and gently turn over such that the masala, salt and tempering are completely spread throughout the rice. See pic below. Done!!
- You can use any type of rice for this recipe. I used Sona Masoori rice.
- If you do not wish to add Onions you can just eliminate.
- Adjust the salt and spice according to your taste.
- You can even avoid the tempering par of the recipe, but it definitely gives a nice aroma to the rice on the whole.
- It can be made with freshly cooked rice (or) with left over rice too.
- It stays good for 1 day at room temperature.
- Can be put in refrigerator and be re-heated before serving. It stays good upto a week this way.
- The taste of this rice dish is absolutely scrumptious with perfect amount of spice.
- The chilled yogurt with fruit & salad added to its taste too.
You can Pinit here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category