Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:20mins CookTime:15mins Cuisine: Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Mint – Carrot Rice is my newest try with left over rice. For a reason, I feel quite satisfied (actually a bit of proud 🙂 ) about this dish. These mint leaves I used here are from my small plant in my kitchen. Yes, its growing perfectly even in this cold weather.
And yes, using our home grown veggies / herbs, gives an accomplished feeling. Waiting for summer to plant more such plants in the backyard.
Table of contents:
- Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Mint and Carrot Rice Pulao (Instant Pot, Stove Top)’:
- Short Video from my YOU TUBE Channel:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step Wise pics Procedure for ‘Pudina Carrot Pulao / Mint Carrot Rice (Stove Top, Instant Pot)’:
- Prep Work (common for both methods):
- Stove Top Method Pulao using Cooked Rice:
- Instant Pot Method Pulao using Uncooked Rice:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Mint and Carrot Rice Pulao (Instant Pot, Stove Top)’:
Using Left over rice: Stove Top method cooking given below uses already cooked rice. So just follow that recipe in case you would like to use left over rice for this recipe.
Cooking as a One-Pot Meal: Instant Pot method cooking given below is the one for you to follow. It shows you how to cook rice along with the other ingredients to make a One Pot Meal.
Replacement for Green Chillies: You can use1 tablespoon of whole black peppercorns and grind along with the mint leaves.
Using any other rice variety: I have used Indian basmati rice. You might use long grain rice, sona masoori rice with the same rice:water measurements.
To avoid Onion & Garlic: Yes you can avoid using them.
Short Video from my YOU TUBE Channel:
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Rice recipes here⇒ Main Course
Kids Lunch Box collection here⇒ Lunch Box
Instant Pot recipes collection⇒ Electric Pressure Cooker Recipes / Instant Pot recipes
Related Posts with ‘MINT’:
- Indian Masala Sandwich (Instant Pot, Stove Top)
- Mint Leaves Spice Powder / Pudina Karam Podi
- Pudina Pachadi / Mint Chutney
- Mint-Coconut Chutney / Pudina-Kobbari Pachchadi
- Pudina Raita / Mint-Yogurt Dip
- Jeera Pulao / Cumin Rice (Instant Pot, Stove Top)
- Rice – 2 cups of Basmati rice grains
- Fresh Mint Leaves – 1 cup
- Carrots – 4 (medium size)
- Cooking Oil – 4 tablespoons
- Onions – 2 (medium)
- Fresh Green Chillies – 6
- Ginger piece – 1 inch piece
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Star Anise – 1
- Cinnamon Sticks / Dalchini – 2
- Cardamon / Elaichi – 4
- Black Peppercorns / Miriyalu – 1 teaspoon
- Cloves / Lavang – 4
- Bay Leaves – 4
- Salt – as per taste
- Cashew Nuts – 10 (optional)
- Water – as required (for cooking)
- Basmati Rice
- Green Chillies
- Cashew Nuts
Step Wise pics Procedure for ‘Pudina Carrot Pulao / Mint Carrot Rice (Stove Top, Instant Pot)’:
Prep Work (common for both methods):
- Wash the mint leaves.
- Peel and grate (or very finely chop) the carrots.
- Slit the green chillies length wise, chop the ginger, garlic and onions.
- Take the mint leaves into grinder / mixie along with green chillies to make fine paste.
- Optional step: Before grinding, dry roast the mint leaves until they wilt and change to dark colour.
Stove Top Method Pulao using Cooked Rice:
- Get the rice cooked and keep it ready.
- You might see this link from my blog: How to cook rice perfectly (Instant Pot / Stove Top)
Instant Pot Method Pulao using Uncooked Rice:
- Basmati Rice suits best here, but tastes good even with any other rice variety.
- Cashew Nuts can also be added while frying the onions.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- Storage: You can store this, Mint Carrot Pulao Rice, up to a week, in the fridge and just re-heat before serving.
- At room temperature, this one pot meal stays good up to 1 or 2 days.
- Obviously, the flavour of mint is dominating the dish and that turns out to be the positive effect too.
- The carrots in between the rice, added sweetness to it.
- It has become my kids favourite rice recipe for school lunch box, and good for me.
- We had freshly made raita from homemade curds/yogurt as a side. That made a complete meal.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Mint and Carrot Pulao Rice / Pudina Carrot Rice (Stove Top, Instant Pot)
- Spice Blender / Grinder / Mixie.
- Frying pan (for stove-top method)
- Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker (for IP method)
- 2 cups Basmati Rice (uncooked)
- 1 cup Fresh Mint Leaves
- 4 count Carrots (medium size)
- 4 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 2 count Onions (medium size)
- 6 count Green Chillies
- 1 inch piece Ginger piece
- 4 cloves Garlic (optional)
- 1 count Star Anise
- 2 count Cinnamon Sticks / Dalchini
- 4 count Cardamon / Elaichi
- 1 teaspoon Whole Black Peppercorns / Miriyalu
- 4 count Cloves / Lavang
- 4 count Bay Leaves
- as per taste Salt
- 10 count Cashew Nuts (optional)
- as required Water (for cooking)
PREP WORK (common for both methods):
- Wash the mint leaves. Peel and grate (or very finely chop) the carrots. Slit the green chillies length wise. Chop the ginger, garlic and slice the onions.
- Put a frying pan on stove top under medium flame.Take the mint leaves into grinder / mixie along with green chillies to make fine paste.Optional step: Before grinding, Dry roast the mint leaves until they wilt and change to dark colour.
STOVE TOP METHOD COOKING using COOKED RICE:
- Get the rice cooked and keep it ready.You might see this link from my blog: https://vegcookbook.net/2020/10/23/how-to-cook-rice-perfectly-instant-pot-stove-top/
- Put a frying pan on stove top under medium flame.Add oil and let it heat.Add & Sauté all these spices for 30 secs -> bay leaves, black peppercorns, cloves, cinnamon sticks, star anise, chopped ginger, chopped garlic.
- Add the onion slices, fry them until they soften. And then add the grated carrot. Fry the grated carrot for 3-4 mins. Then add the salt, mint paste and simmer for 1 min.
- Now, add the cooked rice to the pan. Give everything a thorough mix, put it on flame for 3-4 mins, until the dish warms up. Then switch off and serve. Done!
INSTANT POT METHOD COOKING using UNCOOKED RICE:
- Wash the Basmati rice thoroughly 2 to 3 times. Add fresh water until the rice is soaked, leave it for at least 20 mins.Later drain the soaked water before cooking.
- Switch ON the Instant Pot. Set the IP>> Mode to Sauté, Time to 5 mins. Add all these>> Chopped Onions, Chopped Ginger-Garlic, Bay leaves, Cinnamon Stick, Cardamom, Cloves, Black Peppercorn, Star Anise. Stir fry until the IP BEEPS.
- Now, add all the carrot pieces / grated carrot and mint paste. Just give a mix.
- Next, transfer all the soaked rice into the Instant pot (drain the soaked water). Add water (2½ cups) and enough salt.Give everything a gentle mix. See that the base of the Instant Pot is well deglazed.
- Close the lid, set the valve to SEALING. Select mode to RICE MODE where time is auto-set by the gadget. [Or else] set the mode to PRESSURE COOK with time to 5 mins. When its done, IP will beep, then open the lid only after NPR (natural pressure release).
- Using a fork, gently fluff up the rice and then serve. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category