Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:20 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
Friends, here is a post I have written just to detail about, How to cook rice perfectly (Instant Pot / Stove top). Yes, how to cook different varieties of rice (plain). I will be covering the topic for all rice varieties, like Basmati, Lon Grain, Jasmin, Brown Rice, Short Grain, Sona Masoori etc…. I mean those which I use at home.
For today, I gave just the process for cooking Basmati White Rice. The main intention is to give the exact measurements for water to be used, exact cooking time and tips, using stove top & even for Instant Pot method.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
My other Rice recipes here⇒ Main Course
Instant Pot recipes collection⇒ Instant Pot Recipes / Electric Pressure Cooker Recipes
- Rice – 2 cups
- Fresh Water – as required for washing, soaking, cooking
- Cooking Oil – 1 teaspoon (optional)
Step Wise Pics Procedure for ‘How to cook rice perfectly (Instant Pot / Stove top)’:
- Rice : Water ratio for Stove-top method is 1:1½ ; for Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker Method is 1:1¼
- Take the rice into a vessel, wash twice under running water, add enough water, let them soak for at least 20 mins.
STOVE TOP METHOD:
- Put a sauce pan / steel vessel on stove top under high flame. Add fresh water as per above given measurements.
- Bring the water to boil, then drain the soaked water add the rice into the sauce pan/vessel. Add a teaspoon of oil (optional step).
- Change the flame from HIGH to LOW.
- See that the rice is spread throughout the vessel. Close the lid of the vessel.
- Leave the vessel on flame, for 10 to 12 mins.
- Open the lid, give a mix with a fork.
- When the water is fully absorbed, take a rice morsel between 2 fingers, check if its cooked well from inside.
- If its cooked well, then remove the lid, leave it for 2 more mins, for the vapour to dry completely.
- Later remove from the stove, close with lid until you serve. Done!
INSTANT POT METHOD:
- Drain the soaked water, take the rice into the instant pot, add fresh water (as per above instructions). Add a teaspoon of oil (optional step).
- See that the rice is spread throughout the vessel. Close the lid of the Instant Pot.
- Switch ON the gadget. Put the Valve to sealing. Set the mode to PRESSURE COOK, time to 5 mins, under LOW PRESSURE.
- Let the pressure release naturally (NPR), using a fork, fluff the rice gently. Done!
- Adding Oil while cooking the rice, helps the rice not to stick with each other.
- For stove top method, the sauce pan / vessel you use for cooking, needs to have a tight fitting lid.
- And for instant pot method, Even a Quick pressure release after 4-5 mins, will just be fine.
- Fluffy steamed white rice, without any stickiness is ready to be served / used.
- And the Instant Pot method, didn’t had any burnt bottom.
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category