Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:20 mins Cuisine: Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Just like many others, do you dislike okra / bhindi for its slimy texture? In that case, this dry curry recipe would suit you the best. I have given both Air fryer, stove top methods.
This, ‘Bhindi (Okra) Peanut Dry Curry’ recipe is from South Indian Telugu cuisine, called as Bendakaya Palli (verusenaga) Vepudu in my mother tongue. Where this dry curry is a must and should in any menu for weddings, functions. Hope you would try it too. 🙂
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Bhindi Peanut Dry Curry (Air Fryer, Stove Top methods)’:
To make NUT FREE: Just eliminate the peanut and cashew nuts, even then it tastes good.
Adding Onions and garlic: You can add long thin slices of onions (½ cup) and whole garlic cloves (6), along with the bhindi (okra) while frying. Same applies for Air Fryer method also.
Using Fresh Grated Coconut: This doesn’t suit this recipe, so better don’t use it.
Adding other spices: You might add any of these as additional spice>> Garam Masala Powder (¼ teaspoon)
How to serve, ‘Bendakaya Palli Vepudu / Okra Peanut Dry Curry’:
The main best way to serve this dry curry is as a side dish with steamed white rice and along with some pulusu / South Indian soup.
- Pappu Pulusu / Indian Spicy Lentil Soup
- Instant Soup / Instant Chaaru (No Powder)
- Indian Soup with Buttermilk / Majjiga Pulusu
- Mukkala Pulusu/ Dhappalam / Indian Vegetable Soup
So the theory here is, it has to be in a combination of this dry curry and some soupy gravy style another side.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Other Air Fryer recipes here⇒ Air – Fryer Recipes
Curry recipes collection here⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
- Tindora / Dondakaya Fry (Air Fryer, Stove top)
- Spinach & Peanut Chutney / Pachadi
- Bendakaya Thalimpu / Bhindi Tadka/ Okra Stir Fry
- Stuffed Okra / Bharwa Bhindi Curry (Air Fryer, Stove Top)
- Okra / Bendakaya / Bhindi Pieces – 3 cups (heaped)
- Peanuts / Palli – ½ cup
- Cashew Nuts – ¼ cup
- Curry Leaves – 2 twigs
- Dry Red Chillies – 6
- Desiccated Coconut / Dry Coconut – ½ cup
- Salt – as per taste
- Red Chilli Powder – 1½ to 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Dhaniya Podi / Ground Coriander Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander Leaves – a handful
- Cooking Oil – 4 cups (for deep frying)
- “” – 1 tablespoon (for air frying)
- Curry Leaves
- Dhaniya Podi / Ground Coriander Powder
Step Wise Pics Procedure for ‘Bhindi (Okra) Peanut Dry Curry (Air Fryer, Stove Top)’:
STOVE TOP METHOD FRYING:
AIR FRYER METHOD FRYING:
MAKING ‘BHINDI (OKRA) PEANUT DRY CURRY’:
- Remember that the bhindi pieces should not be thick, they need to be thin. If they are thick they wouldn’t fry well.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- For stove top method: The oil has to be super hot, if not the okra will turn soft even after frying.
- For the Air Fryer Method: Don’t pile the bhindi pieces, but just spread them evenly.
- Storage: Being a dry curry, this dish stays good at room temperature for 2 days.
- I don’t prefer to store such dry curry in fridge or freezer, as the moisture dampens the dryness of the recipe.
- The crunch from the bhindi, nuts and the nutty flavour, and the spice made this dish perfecto!
- We had it as a side dish along with, Vankaya Pachi Pulusu / Roasted Eggplant Cold Soup and plain Steamed White Rice.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Bhindi (Okra) Peanut Fry (Air Fryer, Stove Top)
- 1 Deep Frying Pan for stove-top method
- 1 Air-Fryer for air-fryer method
- 1 Wide Mixing Bowl
- 3 cups Okra / Bendakaya / Bhindi Pieces (heaped)
- ½ cup Peanuts / Palli (unsalted)
- ¼ cup Cashew Nuts
- 2 twigs Curry Leaves
- 6 count Dry Red Chillies
- ½ cup Desiccated Coconut / Dry Coconut
- as per taste Salt
- 1½ to 2 teaspoons Red Chilli Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 tablespoon Dhaniya Podi / Ground Coriander Powder
- a handful Coriander Leaves / Cilantro
- 4 cups Cooking Oil (for deep frying)
- 1 tablespoon "" (for air frying)
- Gather all the ingredients at one place. Wash the okra under running water and pat dry. Cut off the 2 edges of each of the okra, then cut into tiny pieces as shown. Set aside.
STOVE TOP METHOD FRYING:
- Keep a deep, frying pan on stove top under high flame.
- Add all the oil for deep frying. When the oil totally hot, gently add all the okra pieces.
- Let them fry until they turn crispy, by gently stirring couple of times. It might take 7 to 8 mins. Take them out into a wide mixing bowl.
- In the same frying pan, add the peanuts, cashew nuts. Keep stirring gently, fry them to golden brown. Switch the flame off.
- Into the hot oil pan, add the dry red chillies, fresh curry leaves. Fry them for 30 secs.
- Take everything into the same mixing bowl.
AIR FRYER METHOD FRYING:
- Brush the air fryer mesh with oil, place all the cashews and peanuts on the mesh. Close the air fryer, set time to 5 mins, temperature to 200ºC / 390ºF. When the air fryer beeps, open and take the nuts into a wide mixing bowl.
- Again, brush the air fryer mesh with oil, add all the bhindi pieces and spread them evenly. Close the Air Fryer, set the time to 10 mins, temperature to 200ºC / 390ºF.
- In between you might pause and mix. Later, when the air fryer beeps, open the air fryer, add a tablespoon of oil, mix up everything. Take them into a wide mixing bowl.
- Now, add the fresh curry leaves and dry red chillies onto the air fryer mesh. Close the air fryer, set the time to 2 mins, at a temperature of 200ºC / 390ºF. Open the air fryer, take them into the same mixing bowl.
TO MAKE THE BHINDI DRY CURRY:
- Take all these ingredients into a wide mixing bowl>> fried bhindi, fried nuts, fried curry leaves, fried dry red chillies, desiccated coconut, salt, red chilli powder, turmeric powder, ground coriander powder / dhaniya podi.
- Using your hands, crush few of the dry red chillies and curry leaves, then gently toss everything such that the bhindi and nuts are well coated with the spices.
- Transfer into a serving bowl. Done!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category