Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:3 mins CookTime:Given Below Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Pappu Pulusu / Pappu Chaaru as we say in Telugu, is translated as Indian Spicy Lentil Soup can be said as one of the foods of common man in South India. It’s because of the basic and minimal ingredients used for this recipe. And, this recipe is also inherited from my dear Mum and its my Father’s favourite too.
I remember those days, when the vegetables at home were just very few, and my Mum used to make this delicious dish served along with appadalu / poppadum’s. I feel so satisfied that I could make the exact replica (even in the taste) of my Mother’s recipe.
This is my go to recipe, especially for weekday dinners. And my kids love them with homemade poppadum’s.
Possible alterations you could make for, ‘ Pappu Pulusu / Indian Spicy Lentil Soup (Stove Top, Instant Pot Methods)’:
Variety of Onions to use: Any variety of onions, like, white, red, shallots, salad, yellow, can be used. If you are using shallots, add same quantity as that mentioned.
Instead of tamarind puree, that I have used, just add double the count of tomatoes mentioned.
To replace Split Pigeon peas / toor dal: They can be replaced with red lentils / masoor dal, chana dal / split peas (or) with yellow moong lentils.
Other vegetables to add: You might add, vegetables like, carrots, green peas, pumpkin, butternut squash, green squash, zucchini, potatoes. But just a handful of each.
For additional flavour, adding a teaspoon of South Indian curry powder would suffice.
Among the ‘Ingredients for tempering’, you can skip the Asafoetida / Hing / Inguva, and can add 3-4 garlic cloves.
Stove Top Pressure Cooker Method: If you are using, stove-top pressure cooker, put the lid and whistle on, cook it up to 4-5 whistles. After the pressure is released, add the spice and do the tempering.
How to serve, ‘Pappu Pulusu / Pappu Charu / Indian Spicy Lentil Soup’:
You can have it just as a soup or pair it up with any rice or quinoa too.
Just as shown in the above pic, serve this, Pappu Pulusu / Pappu Charu / Indian Spicy Lentil Soup, along with steamed plain white rice and crunchy papads. It makes a wholesome meal, having protein, fibre, carbs and necessary vitamins.
Or even as an accompaniment with South Indian Breakfast items like Idli, Dosa, Uthappam.
This lentils soup is a perfectly Vegan, Gluten free, Oil free (if you can avoid the tempering), One pot meal/soup recipe without adding any extras.
As shown in the pic below, this Pappu Pulusu / Pappu Charu / Indian Spicy lentil soup, is served as a side, as per a South Indian Meal Platter. Full Detailed Link for the platter⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Meal Platter # 8
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned in the end.
Instant Pot recipes collection⇒ Electric Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot Recipes Collection
Air Fryer recipes collection⇒ Air – Fryer Recipes Collection
Meal Platter / Thali Collection⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Meal Platter
Related Posts with ‘LENTILS’:
- Masala Vada / Lentil Masala Nuggets (Stove Top, Air Fryer)
- Andhra Kandi Podi / Lentil Spice Powder
- Lentils & Veg Rice (Electric Pressure Cooker)
- Cabbage & Masoor Dal / Red Lentil Pakoda (Stove Top, Air Fryer)
- Radish-Lentil Salad / Kosambari
- Tri-Dal Uthappam / Tri-Lentil Savoury Pancakes (No Grain)
- Toor dal / Kandi Pappu / Yellow Lentils – 1 cup
- Tamarind puree – 3 tablespoons
- Onions – 3 (medium size)
- Tomatoes – 3 (medium size)
- Fresh Green Chillies – 4
- Rice flour or Chickpea flour – 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Red Chilli Powder – 1½ teaspoons
- Salt – 2 to 3 teaspoons
- Sugar (or) Jaggery – 2 teaspoons
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Fresh Coriander Leaves (chopped) – 2 tablespoons
- Water – as required (to cook and boil)
Ingredients For Tempering: (optional)
- Cooking Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Mustard Seeds / Aavaalu – ½ teaspoon
- Cumin Seeds / Jeera – 1 teaspoon
- Asafoetida / Hing / Inguva – ¼ teaspoon
- Fresh Garlic – 3 cloves (optional)
- Red Chilli Powder
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Pappu Pulusu / Indian Spicy Lentil Soup (Stove Top, Instant Pot)’:
STOVE TOP METHOD:
INSTANT POT METHOD:
TEMPERING:(common for both methods)
- Adjust the spice and salt according to your taste.
- I have used de-seeded dry tamarind, you can even use readily available tamarind puree available in any Indian store.
- You can skip the tempering part, which doesn’t change the taste of the soup anyhow.
- For the instant pot electric pressure method, the cook time remains the same even if you cook the soup with 3 times of dal.
- Storage: This, Pappu pulusu / Indian spicy lentil soup, can be stored in fridge for up to a week.
- Just re-heat before serving, there is no need to thaw.
- The taste of this, pappu pulusu / Indian spicy lentil soup, is spicy and tangy too. But the texture is thick because of the lentils.
- Perfectly suitable especially for cold winters, & to satisfy taste buds craving for spice.
- Its best suitable as a recovery food post cold, fever, or any sickness.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Indian Spicy Lentil Soup / Pappu Pulusu / Pappu Charu (Vegan, GF)
- Sauce Pan / Vessel (for stove-top method)
- Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker (for IP method)
- Small Frying pan (for tempering)
- 1 cup Toor dal / Kandi Pappu / Yellow Lentils
- 3 tablespoons Tamarind puree
- 3 count Onions (medium size)
- 3 count Tomatoes (medium size)
- 4 count Green Chillies (small size)
- 1 tablespoon Rice flour (or) Chickpea flour (optional)
- 1½ teaspoons Red Chilli Powder / Cayene Powder
- 2 to 3 teaspoons Salt (or as per taste)
- 2 teaspoons Sugar (or) Jaggery (or as per taste)
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder / Pasupu
- 2 tablespoons Fresh Coriander Leaves (chopped)
- as required Water (to cook and boil)
Ingredients for Tempering (optional):
- 2 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 3 cloves Fresh Garlic (optional)
- ½ teaspoon Mustard Seeds / Aavaalu
- 1 teaspoon Cumin Seeds / Jeera
- ¼ teaspoon Asafoetida / Hing / Inguva
STOVE-TOP METHOD (time:25 mins)
- Firstly, take the dal / lentils into a vessel and wash them twice thoroughly. Add thrice the amount water, onto the lentils.
- Add all the chopped veggies to the vessel. Pour more water into the vessel, such that the lentils & veggies are dipped.
- Close the vessel with lid, let it cook on stove top under high flame for 10 to 15 mins.After which, check if the dal is cooked or not, by pressing a lentil against 2 fingers.
- After which, check if the dal is cooked or not, by pressing a lentil against 2 fingers. Add the red chilli powder, salt and turmeric powder, tamarind puree, sugar, 1½ cups of water, tablespoon of coriander and ginger-garlic paste (optional).
- Mix everything, let it boil on stove top for 4 to 5 mins, under medium flame, until the soup forms bubbles.
- At this stage, add the rice flour or chick pea flour to thicken. When it thickens as per your desired consistency, switch off the flame. Garnish with chopped coriander, add the tempering. Done!!
INSTANT POT METHOD(time:10 mins)
- Take the lentils into the IP vessel, wash twice under running water. Add twice the amount of water. Set aside.
- Transfer diced onions and tomatoes, slit green chillies, tamarind puree / dry tamarind to the IP vessel. Pour water such that everything is just dipped.
- Switch the Instant Pot ON, set to Pressure Cook Mode, under high pressure, for 6 mins with valve closed.
- Release the pressure naturally (NPR). Remove the lid, turn on the IP, set to Sauté Mode, for 2 mins
- Add sugar, salt, red chilli powder / cayenne powder, turmeric powder, ginger-garlic paste (optional) and 1½ cups of water.
- Let the soup boil. Add the rice flour (or) chick pea flour to thicken. Switch the IP off. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves, add the tempering. Done!!
TEMPERING (common for both methods):
- If you wish to do the tempering, Take all the ‘Ingredients for tempering’ into a small pan onto the stove top, and sauté them for 2-3 mins.Transfer this tempering onto the pulusu / soup in the vessel and mix everything gently. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later use, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can find my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category