Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
Kids Lunch Boxes…I pack lunch boxes for my 3 children everyday, with freshly, homemade meals. Henceforth, I shall share few of them that I packed on different days. This box which I pack, is only for lunch. Not for snack time/break time.
We started using these steel lunch boxes since past 3 or 4 years.You can find similar model (not exactly same) in Amazon if you wish to buy one.Search for : Stainless Steel Ecolunchbox Three-In-One (Bento Style Lunchbox) by ECOlunchbox
Till date , this page has 16 lunch boxes that I packed on different days!
- This lunch box has pieces of Pear fruit on the right. On left side, Instant Idli / Steamed Patties made instantly with NO soaking, NO grinding, NO fermentation batter. (Recipe Link⇒ Instant Rava Idli / Steamed Semolina Patties ). I made the batter previous night, but steamed idli(s) in the morning. Chutney Recipe Link⇒ Coconut & Almond Chutney / Kobbari & Badam Pachadi
- In this lunch box below, I had packed Grilled whole wheat bread sandwiches made with Protein rich Chickpeas sprouts. (Recipe Link⇒ Chana / Chickpea Sprouts & Basil Sandwich ). I made the stuffing for the sandwiches, the before night and stored in fridge. In the morning, I grilled the sandwiches using sandwich maker. Fruit pieces are pineapple, green apple and whole strawberries.
- This lunch box has,Tomato Raita (Recipe Link⇒ Tomato Raita / Tomato-Yogurt Dip) as a Dip for ‘Cheese Stuffed Roti / Tortilla ( Recipe Link⇒ Roti / Tortilla with Beeroot Greens & Stalk ) . I prepared the dough the previous night, made the roti / tortilla the next day morning. Added cheese over the roti/tortilla , folded & then cut. Or else, You can make the roti / tortilla, wrap them with cling film, store them in the freezer, re-heat and serve.
- Here, I packed Pav-Bhaji ( Recipe link⇒ Pav – Bhaji) which I prepared for our dinner the previous night. The next morning, I packed the same bhaji (curry). Just smeared lots of butter on dinner rolls / pav and pan fried them. This is perfectly enough for kids lunch as per cals and nutrition. You can add a fruit too.
- Here I made mini triangle shaped sanwiches, using seeded whole meal bread filled with butter & jam. The other side is salad with Red Kidney Beans and Sweet Corn. (Recipe link⇒ Sprouted Red Beans – Potato Salad / Chat )
- In this lunch box, one side I packed fresh green grapes. On the other side I packed Sweetened Lentil Rice. I made it early morning with leftover rice. But did not add any nuts. (Recipe link⇒ Chakkera Pongali / Sweetened Rice )
- Here I packed, Orange segments for fruit. Steamed white rice mixed with Okra/Bhindi Stir fry. (Recipe link⇒ Bendakaya Thalimpu / Bhindi Tadka/ Okra Stir Fry) . I cooked both rice and curry separately. Also has mini sandwiches with seeded whole wheat bread slice, smeared with butter, tomato sauce and cucumber pieces.
- In this lunch box, I have packed tiny pieces of watermelon and Veggie Wraps. I did not add cheese, as the wrap might turn gooey by lunch time. So check how I made them using this Recipe Link⇒ Curried Green Wrap / Indian Curry Wrap.
- Here I have Cherry Tomatoes and Green Cucumber pieces on one side. And on the other I prepared Rava Upma/Semolina Savoury Porridge ( Recipe link⇒ Rava Upma / Semolina Savoury Porridge ) garnished with chopped coriander leaves. I prepared this in the morning and removed the nuts before packing the lunches (My kids go to a Nut-free school).
- This lunch box has BellPepper-Sesame Curry (Recipe link⇒ Capsicum-Nuvvula Koora / Bell Pepper-Sesame Curry / Shimla Mirch-Til Sabzi) mixed with steamed rice. Both curry and rice are cooked separately, mixed and then topped with homemade ghee or butter. On the side I put clementine cuties. If your kids would not prefer spicy food then, you can reduce/eliminate the spice in the curry. Vegans can just eliminate the butter/ghee topping.
- This lunch box has Capsicum – Lentil Fritters/ Bhajiya/ Punugulu (Recipe link⇒ Bell Pepper – Lentil Fritters / Capsicum Punugulu ) served with an Oil-Free healthy dip (Recipe link⇒ Mango Dip (Oil free) ) . Accompanied with cucumber slices and chopped iceberg lettuce. I prepared the batter previous night and fried them in the morning to pack.
- This lunch has Dosa/Crepe (Link⇒ Oil Free – Healthy Dosa / Without Oil Dosa) as the main with a chutney/dip (Link⇒ Beerapottu Pachchadi / RidgeGourd Peel Chutney) along with Baby carrots for salad. I prepared the batter previous night and made the Dosa/Crepe in the morning to pack.
- In this lunch box, the Main is Tamarind Rice (Link is here : Chinthapandu Pulihora / Tamarind Rice ) , Orange segments for fruit and for Vegan dessert (Link is here: Rava Kesari / Kesari Bath/ Semolina Pudding (without milk) ) The recipes have nuts, but removed them before packing the lunches (My kids go to a Nut-free school).
- Mini Burgers with Veggies as main in the below lunch box. And has SweetCorn-Pomegranate Salad / Kosambari salad as a side. Click the link for the salad recipe. My kids loved this yummy salad and ofcourse the Veggie Burgers. 🙂
- Couscous Upma / Savoury Meal as the main, half of an apple and Indian savoury/ murukulu. Click the link given, for the Couscous Upma/ Meal recipe. My kids loved this upma with the savoury & fruit.
- Potato Mash Curry /Aloo Tadka / Bangaladumpa Koora as a side for Poori/ Puffed Indian bread. And mixed raisins for fruit. Click the link for the curry recipe. My kids loved this mild in spice Aloo/Potato Curry. I prepared the dough for Poori/Puffed Indian bread, previous night and fried them in the morning to pack.
You can Pinit here, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category