Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Spinach Black Eyed beans (Lobia) saute, is a wholesome side dish with the goodness of protein, folic from the beans and fiber, iron from the spinach.
I definitely try to include some sort of protein into atleast one dish of the meal. Might be dal, beans, lentil nuggets, etc. I really feel relieved cooking such fully power packed dishes for my family.
For obvious reasons, like spinach is rich in iron, while black-eyed beans are highy rich in protein & fiber. I generally store beans in my freezer after soaking them for about 8-9 hrs. Obviously, it makes my cooking easy and quick. 🙂
Table of Contents:
- Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Spinach and Black Eyed Beans Saute’:
- How to serve ‘Spinach and Black Eyed Peas Saute Curry’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Spinach and Black Eyed Beans Saute Curry / Palak Lobia Sukhi Sabzi Recipe’:
- Prep Work (common for both methods):
- Stove Top Method Cooking:
- Instant Pot Method Cooking:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’
- Recipe Card & Print:
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Spinach and Black Eyed Beans Saute’:
Adding Onion and Garlic: If you wish to add onion and garlic, add a cup of chopped onion pieces and chopped (6) garlic cloves, just after the tempering. Fry them until the onions soften. And then proceed with the rest of the recipe just as mentioned.
Using Garlic Powder: Yes, instead of freshly chopped garlic cloves, using garlic powder also works well.
To use Frozen Spinach: As we are not pressure cooking the spinach, you can use frozen spinach instead of freshly chopped spinach. If we pressure cook frozen spinach along with the beans they just turn into a mush. Which is not the suitable for this recipe.
To replace red chilli flakes: Just use same quantity of red chilli powder / cayenne powder. Other option would be to use fresh green chillies as per your taste.
To use canned / boiled beans: If you wish to use already boiled black eyed beans, just follow the same recipe except for skip the boiling part.
Oil Free options: In this recipe, little oil is used only for the tempering. Just eliminate the oil and dry roast the ‘Inggredients for tempering’, if you wish to eliminate oil completely.
How to serve ‘Spinach and Black Eyed Peas Saute Curry’:
When served as a side with any carbs like rice, bread, potatoes, quinao etc, makes a nutrition enriched complete meal.
We had it, as a side with steamed hot rice and homemade curds / yogurt. And that made a complete healthy, filling and nutrition enriched meal.
You can have this, Spinach black-eyed beans saute, as it is or as a side for any rice, any bread, chapati, as a taco filling, or as part of a salad bowl.
My kids prefer to eat just as it is, of course I would eliminate the spice totally. Try it and see! 🙂
Check this meal platter / thali, where I served it as a side dish. Here I have explained all the tips & plan to prepare this thali. Platter Link⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Platter # 16
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Adding this, into my weight loss recipes collection⇒ Weight Loss Food / Low Carb Recipes
Other Curry Recipes Collection here⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Dal / stew recipes collection here⇒ Dal / Pappu / Lentil Stew
Instant Pot recipes collection⇒ Electric Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot Recipes Collection
Related Posts with ‘BEANS’:
- Black-eyed Beans Salad / Alasanda Guggillu
- Rajma – Palak Masala / Red Kidney Beans – Spinach Curry
- Red Kidney Beans Nuggets / Rajma Masala Vada / Fritters
- Black-eyed beans Nuggets / Alasanda Vada (Air-Fryer, Stove-top)
- Spinach – 2 heaped cups (roughly chopped)
- Black Eyed Beans – 1 cup (soaked)
- Red Chilli Flakes – 1½ teaspoons
- Roasted Peanuts Powder / Palli Podi – 2 tablespoons
- Jeera / Cumin Powder – 1½ teaspoon
- Salt – 1½ teaspoon
- Water – as required
Ingredients for Tempering :
- Cooking oil – 3 tablespoons
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Sesame seeds / Nuvvulu – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies / Fresh Green Chillies – 3 (optional)
- Garlic pods – 6 (optional)
- Roasted Peanuts Powder / Palli Podi
- Garlic pods (optional)
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Spinach and Black Eyed Beans Saute Curry / Palak Lobia Sukhi Sabzi Recipe’:
Prep Work (common for both methods):
To ‘SOAK’ the black eyed beans:
- Take 2 cups of beans into a wide vessel, wash them thoroughly. Add water, 4 times the quantity of beans.
- Leave the vessel on kitchen platform, let the beans soak for 8 hrs.
- Strain the soaked water before cooking.
Stove Top Method Cooking:
To ‘COOK’ the Black-eyed beans:
- Take the beans into a sauce pan, add double the quantity of water. Close with lid.
- Let them cook under HIGH FLAME, on stove-top until they soften (might take 30 to 40 mins).
If you are using canned beans skip the above method of soaking and cooking the beans.
Instant Pot Method Cooking:
- How to make Jeera / Cumin powder, It can be easily made, by dry roasting (until they splutter) a handful of them on stove top and once cooled, grind into fine powder.
- How to make Peanut Powder / Palli Podi, by dry roasting (until they splutter) a handful of them on stove top and once cooled, grind into fine powder.
- Adjust the salt and spice according to your taste.
- In case you use canned black-eyed beans, just start off directly with SAUTE.
- I prefer soaking the beans previous day & cook them to use. Rather than using dry beans directly to pressure cook.
- You can boil the beans and freeze them even for days before. But prefer to make the sauté fresh only.
- The taste of this, Spinach Black Eyed beans sauté, was extraordinarily appeasing.
- We had it, as a side with steamed hot rice and homemade curds / yogurt. And that made a complete healthy, filling and nutrition enriched meal.
- I felt, the addition of dry red chilli flakes, is what made the dish to stand out among other side dishes made with spinach.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Spinach and Black Eyed Beans Saute
- Frying pan (for stove-top method)
- Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker or Stove Top Pressure Cooker
- 2 heaped cups Spinach (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup Black Eyed Beans (boiled)
- 1½ teaspoons Red Chilli Flakes
- 2 tablespoons Roasted Peanuts Powder / Palli Podi
- 1½ teaspoon Jeera / Cumin Powder
- 1½ teaspoons Salt (or as per taste)
- as required Water (for boiling and cooking)
Ingredients for tempering:
- 3 tablespoons Cooking oil
- ½ teaspoon Jeera / Cumin Seeds
- 1 teaspoon Sesame seeds / Nuvvulu
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder
- 3 count Dry Red Chillies / Fresh Green Chillies (optional)
- 6 count Garlic pods (optional)
PREP WORK (common for both methods):
- To 'SOAK' the black eyed beans:Take 2 cups of beans into a wide vessel, wash them thoroughly. Add water, 4 times the quantity of beans.Leave the vessel on kitchen platform, let the beans soak for 8 hrs.Strain the soaked water before cooking.
STOVE TOP METHOD COOKING:
- To 'COOK' the black-eyed beans:on STOVE TOP: Take the beans into a sauce pan, add double the amount of water. Close with lid. Let them cook under HIGH FLAME on ,stove-top until they soften (might take 30 to 40 mins).
- TO MAKE THE CURRY:Put a frying pan on stove top under medium heat, add all the, ‘Ingredients for Tempering’ and saute until they splutter.
- Transfer the chopped spinach & boiled beans, water and 1 teaspoon salt to the pan. Give a stir, change to high flame and cover the pan with lid.
- After 4-5 mins, check if the spinach is shrunk and not raw.Then, add the red chilli flakes, jeera / cumin powder, roasted peanuts powder and remaining salt (½ teaspoon).
- Keep stirring everything, so that the powders & chilli flakes sticks throughout.Switch the flame off after a minute. Transfer the saute / sabzi into a serving bowl. Done!.
INSTANT POT METHOD COOKING:
- TO MAKE THE CURRY ALONG WITH BOILING THE BEANS:Switch ON the Instant Pot. Set to SAUTE MODE for 5 mins. Add the oil and all the 'Ingredients for Tempering'. Just fry them until the splutter.
- Immediately, press the CANCEL button,and add the soaked black eyed beans into the pot.
- Now, add fresh water until all the beans are dipped. Give a stir. Close the lid of the Instant Pot. Set the MODE to PRESSURE COOK, PRESSURE LEVEL to HIGH, time to 5 mins, valve in SEALING POSITION.
- After NATURAL PRESSURE RELEASE, open the valve and lid of the instant pot. Transfer all the chopped spinach leaves. Add the salt and ¼ cup of water too. Set to SAUTE MODE for 10 mins.
- Close the pot with an external GLASS LID (not the instant pot lid). Let the spinach shrink, it takes 7 to 8 mins. Open the lid, add red chilli flakes, roasted peanut powder, jeera / cumin powder, remaining salt.
- Mix up everything gently, let it be in SAUTE mode until all the water evaporates.Then SWITCH OFF the gadget, transfer the curry from the instant pot to a serving dish. Done!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category