Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:15 mins CookTime:15 mins Cuisine: Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Black-eyed beans nuggets / alasanda vada, is my second best favourite ( first one is Masala Vada / Lentil Masala Nuggets) among the nuggets made with beans / lentils. Both these recipes are specialities of my native, Andhra (South Indian state).
These are very much luring, and have a brilliant taste with a crunchy outer part and soft inside. Black-eyed beans / Alasanda / Lobia are rich in iron, protein & fibre. Added to this using an air-fryer makes these nuggets GUILT-FREE too!!
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Alasanda Vada / Black Eyed Peas Crispy Nuggets’:
Using Canned / Tinned Black Eyed Beans: This recipe doesn’t need boiling the beans. I did use only soaked beans. The can/tin beans are already boiled. You can still use them, just by draining all the water from the can.
Other herbs to add: Fresh Mint Leaves, Fresh Parsley leaves, Methi / Fenugreek leaves are the other herbs that can be added in the place of coriander/cilantro.
Using other beans: Other beans like red kidney beans, black beans, works best for this recipe.
No Onion – No Garlic options: I did try the same recipe without adding onions, garlic. They turned great.
To bake in an Oven: Yes, bake them in a conventional oven, at the same temperature (200C or 390F) and procedure as that of an air-fryer.
Oil Free / WFPB options: This is possible only in the air-fryer method. The below picture shows the nuggets / vada made in an air fryer, without even brushing / using any oil.
Other Nugget / Vada recipes from my blog:
These, Black-eyed beans nuggets / Alasanda vada, can be called as siblings to these nugget recipes that I posted before.
- Maddur Vada (Air fryer / Baked Snack)
- Medu Vada / Minapa Gaarelu
- Mung Dal Nuggets / Pesarapappu Vada (Air-Fryer & Deep-Fry)
- Masala Vada / Lentil Masala Nuggets (Stove Top, Air Fryer, Oven Baked)
- Red Kidney Beans Nuggets / Rajma – Masala Vada / Fritters
- Bell Pepper – Lentil Fritters / Capsicum Punugulu
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Other Snack recipes here⇒ Starters / Snacks
Other Air-fryer recipes here⇒ Air – Fryer Recipes
Related Posts with ‘BLACK EYED BEANS’:
- Black Eyed Beans and Basil Salad
- Breakfast with Black Eyed Peas / Alasanda Dosa
- Black-eyed Beans Salad / Alasanda Guggillu (South Indian style)
- Spinach and Black Eyed Beans Sauté
- Black-eyed beans / Alasanda / Lobia – 1 cup (dry)
- Green chillies – 3 (finely chopped)
- Fresh Coriander Leaves / Stems – handful (finely chopped)
- Salt – ½ teaspoon
- Whole Cumin / Jeera – 1 tablespoon
- Ginger / Allam – 1 inch piece (finely chopped)
- Onions – 1 medium (finely chopped)
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Rice Flour / Biyyappindi – 2 tablespoons
- Pepper Powder / Miriyam Podi – 1 teaspoon
- Water – 3 cups
- Cooking Oil – 2 cups (for deep fry)
- Oil spray – 1 tablespoon (for air-frying)
- Garlic Pods – 3 (finely chopped) (optional)
- Kasuri Methi / Dry Fenugreek Leaves – 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Green chillies
- Rice Flour / Biyyappindi
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Black eyed beans Nuggets / Alasanda Vada / Lobia Vada’:
STOVE TOP METHOD FRYING:
AIR FRYER METHOD FRYING:
- Add the ingredients in the list, as per your availability.
- Don’t worry if you have soaked the beans for more time than required.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- The oil for deep frying must be perfectly hot, to test this just drop a small blob of batter into the oil and check .
- For air-fryer method, make the patties with a hole in the middle, for even frying.
- You can store the batter or patties in the refrigerator/freezer and fry them when needed.
- The fried nuggets / vada stay good for up to 2 days at room temperature (or) can be stored in fridge but are to be reheated in microwave before serving.
- These, black-eyed beans nuggets / alasanda vada, are crispy on the outside and soft from inside.
- Its a complete power packed appetiser and can be a made a meal when accompanied with healthy salad.
- We had them without any condiment and they tasted brilliant.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Black-eyed beans Nuggets / Alasanda Vada (Air-Fryer & Stove-top)
- Blender / Mixie.
- Frying pan (for stove-top method)
- Air-Fryer for air-fryer method
- Wide Mixing Bowl
- 1 cup Black-eyed beans / Alasanda / Lobia (dry)
- 3 count Green chillies (finely chopped)
- 1 handful Fresh Coriander Leaves / Stems (finely chopped)
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Whole Cumin / Jeera
- 1 inch piece Ginger / Allam (finely chopped)
- 1 medium Onion (finely chopped)
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric
- 2 tablespoons Rice Flour / Biyyappindi
- 1 teaspoon Pepper Powder / Miriyam Podi
- 3 cups Water
- 2 cups Cooking Oil (for deep frying)
- 1 tablespoon Oil Spay (for air frying)
- 3 count Garlic Pods (finely chopped) (optional)
- 1 tablespoon Kasuri Methi / Dry Fenugreek Leaves (optional)
- Wash the Black-eyed beans / Alasanda for 3-4 times, and soak them in water overnight or for 6 to 7 hrs
- Strain the water, take the beans / alasanda into a blending jar and make a coarse paste.Add 4-5 tablespoons of water ONLY if required.
- In a mixing bowl, take the all the ingredients as shown (except oil and water).Mix everything gently and make the batter ready.
- Make small balls with the batter. Then press each ball into flat patties with your thumb finger. You can, put a hole at the centre for even frying.
STOVE-TOP METHOD FRYING:
- Put a frying pan, add enough of cooking oil (for deep frying), on stove top under high flame.
- When the oil is hot enough, gently drop the nuggets / vada into oil.
- Fry them on one side for 2-3 mins and then flip them back to fry, until they turn golden brown.
AIR-FRYER METHOD FRYING:
- Brush the base of air-fryer with oil / use an oil-spray throughout. Place nugget patties over it.
- Cook for 8-9 mins on one side,at 200ºC / 390ºF.Gently flip to the other side, give a bit of oil-spray and fry for 4-5 mins more, at same temperature.
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category