Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
Prep Time:10mins CookTime:20mins Cuisine:Indian
Red Kidney Beans / Rajma offer amazing health benefits. Some of them are⇒⇒ Lowers cholesterol, high dietary fibre, improves memory, boosts energy, Anti-oxidant properties, powerhouse of proteins, natural detoxifier, prevents hypertension (info from internet).
Whenever I soak red beans / rajma this is a must and should recipe my family craves for. You can make any number of variations in the ingredients, but this is the version that I follow. I skip few and use more other ingredients like coriander, basil etc in the same recipe. Just add whatever you ingredients you might have, and enjoy different taste of these nuggets / fritters everytime.
Make ahead the patties and freeze them, but fry them only before serving. You can use these patties/nuggets for any burger, in any sandwich, as a side for your spaghetti, noodles, rice, or just have them as it is with any sauce/dip. Give it a go then!!
Recipe for Chutney in the pic⇒ Capsicum – Tomato Chutney / Pachchadi
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips which I mentioned at the end.
My Starter recipes collection here⇒ Starters / Snacks
- Dry Rajma / Red Kidney Beans / Beans Sprouts – 1 cup
- Chopped Onions – ¼ cup
- Whole Black Pepper – ¼ teaspoon
- Green Chillies – 2
- Ginger pieces – 1 tablespoon
- Garlic pieces – 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Mint Leaves – ¼ cup
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric – ¼ teaspoon
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Rice flour – 1 teaspoon
- Chickpea Flour / Besan – 1 teaspoon
- Curry Powder / Garam Masala – ½ teaspoon
- Spring Onion Greens – 1 tablespoon (for garnish)
- Water – for soaking & grinding
- Cooking Oil – as required (for deep fry)
- Green Chillies
- Curry Powder / Garam Masala
- If using dry red kidney beans
- Firstly, take the rajma / red kidney beans wash them well twice or thrice with cold water.
- Add water upto 3 inches above the beans and let them soak at room temperature for upto 7-8 hrs. After that, drain the water.
- If using canned red kidney beans just ignore the above steps. Follow the recipe from next step.
- For sprouts, click this link for detailed procedure⇒ Sprouts
- Take the rajma/beans into a food processor/blender/mixer.
- Then add the salt, turmeric, onion pieces, green chillies, ginger pieces, garlic pieces (optional), mint leaves, jeera/cumin, whole black pepper, into the same.
- Grind them into coarse batter.
- Mix everything gently. Keep aside.
- Put a frying pan with enough of cooking oil (for deep frying) on the stovetop under high flame.
- Meanwhile, make small balls with the batter. Then press each ball into flat patties with your thumb finger.
- When the oil is perfectly hot, gently drop these patties to fry.
- Fry them on one side for 2-3 mins and then flip them back to the other side gently.
- Fry on the other side also for 1-2 mins / until they turn golden brown.
- Once the vada(s) or fritters are fried to golden brown colour, take them out using the ladle onto a plate with paper towel on. Done!!
- Skip any ingredient, if you are out of stock.
- Soaking the rajma/beans might take more time in winters.
- Don’t worry if you have soaked the rajma/beans for more time than required.
- Do not throw away the soaked water . You can use them for mixing the flour for roti.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- The oil for deep frying must be perfectly hot, to test this just drop a small blob of batter into the oil and check .
- If you would like to avoid deep frying you can try these in an air-fryer too.
- You can store the batter or patties in the refrigerator and fry vada(s) or nuggets when needed.
- The vada(s) or fritters are perfectly crispy on the outside and soft in the inside.
- The flavour of mint, masala, ginger is very much evident in every bite.
- I served it with Capsicum – Tomato Chutney / Pachchadi , tomato sauce and sliced green cucumbers.
Red Kidney Beans Nuggets / Rajma Fritters served with Capsicum-Tomato Chuteny and Green Cucumber slices
You can Pinit here for later use :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category