Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:5mins MixTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
This Red Beans Potato Salad is made without using any OIL. Red Kidney Beans / Rajma have excellent health benefits. Some of them are⇒⇒ Lowers cholesterol, high dietary fibre, improves memory, boosts energy, Anti-oxidant properties, powerhouse of proteins, natural detoxifier, prevents hypertension (info from internet).
During weekends, for dinner I prefer to make salads. Weekends lunch is always an elaborated brunch at my home, and so we feel full even until 7PM. For such scenes I prefer to make salad, which are quite easy to make and healthy to eat. This salad recipe is just a makeover recipe from my own ideas. But, yes it tasted pretty well, why will it not be, after adding so many healthy and flavourful ingredients. 🙂
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips which I mentioned at the end.
I already have a post on how to soak, boil and get sprouts, link here : Sprouts
- Boiled Potatoes – 2 (medium size)
- Sprouted Red Kidney Beans / Rajma – 1½ cup (boiled)
- Green Peas – 1 cup (boiled)
- Coriander – 4 to 5 twigs
- Mint – 1 fistful of leaves
- Tomato – 1 large
- Spring Onions – 4
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Lemon Slices – 2
- Tomato Sauce/Ketchup – 3 tablespoons
- Sev/ Crushed Crisps – 2 tablespoons
- Pumpkin Seeds – 1 tablespoon (optional)
Ingredients for dressing:
- Dry Chilli Flakes – ½ teaspoon
- Lemon Juice – 2 tablespoons
- Honey / Maple Syrup – 2 tablespoons
- Salt – as per taste
- Indian Chat Masala/ Curry Masala – ¼ teaspoon
- Olive Oil – 2 tablespoons (optional)
- Sev/ Crushed Crisps
- Mint/ Pudina
- Lemon / Lime
- You can go through my post, about how to soak, how to sprout the beans and how to cook sprouts, link is here⇒ Sprouts
- Take the boiled potatoes and gently cut them into bite size cubes.
- Wash the vegetables (mint, spring onions, tomato, coriander, ginger) and chop them finely.
- Put aside, half of the chopped coriander leeaves for garnishing.
- Take rest of all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- Into a small bowl, add all the ‘Ingredients for dressing’. See pic below.
- Mix them thoroughly using a small spoon.
- Pour the dressing onto the ingredients in salad bowl.
- Just give a gentle mix, that the spices and dressing are well coated to the chickpeas and potatoes.
- Using 2 spoons in both the hands, very gently fold in everything.
- Top it up with the Sev/ Crushed Crisps.
- Garnish with Tomato Sauce / Ketchup and the remianing chopped coriander leaves as in pic below. Done!!
- Instead of sprouts you can use just red kidney beans / rajma in this recipe.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- You can replace potatoes with any other vegetable or eliminate them.
- I did not use Oil in this recipe, hence gave it as an optional ingredient.
- This is quite a filling salad recipe, very much suitable as a starter for any party, platter.
- This salad can be chilled in refrigerator and served, especially in summers.
- It stays good upto a week when refrigerated.
- The texture of this salad is soft and chewy, while the taste is fabulous.
- This salad is so filling that we didn’t feel like having anything else for our dinner.
- My kids loved it as much as we did.
You can Pinit here for later, Pinterest Link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category