Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10mins MakeTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
During weekends, for dinner I prefer to make salads. Weekends lunch is always an elaborated brunch at my home, and so we feel full even until 7 PM. For such scenes I prefer to make salad, which are quite easy to make and healthy to eat.
This salad recipe is just a makeover recipe from my own ideas. But, yes it tasted pretty well, why will it not be, after adding so many healthy and flavourful ingredients. 🙂
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Red Beans – Potato Salad’:
Red Beans can be replaced with any other beans like>>> Chickpeas, Black Eyed Beans, Black Beans, Pinto Beans, Soya Beans, White Beans.
Instead of sprouts you can use just the red kidney beans/rajma.
Feel free to alter any of the vegetables that I have used. Other vegetables suitable for this salad are>>> Sweet Corn, Carrot, Salad Cucumber, Herbs, Sweet Potato, Lettuce, Sweet Bell peppers.
Sunflower Seeds / Pumpkin Seeds can be eliminated or replaced with nuts of your choice.
Seeds can be used as it is, or would be more tasty if you slightly toast them in a pan on stove top.
I have used nutritional yeast here, just as an added ingredient. You might even avoid it.
Vegan options: The only ingredient in this recipe, that is Non-vegan is honey. It has to be replaced with maple syrup or date syrup, to make the recipe completely vegan.
WFPB Options: Along with the honey options mentioned above, the tomato Sauce can be replaced with this Avocado & Spinach Spread (Oil Free)
Health Benefits of ‘Red Beans – Potato Salad’:
Red Kidney Beans / Rajma have excellent health benefits. Some of them are⇒⇒ Lowers cholesterol, high dietary fibre, improves memory, boosts energy, Anti-oxidant properties, powerhouse of proteins, natural detox, prevents hypertension.
Potato, is high in fibre, naturally gluten free, starchy food, high in carbs and so they are very much filling. Eating more potato, than a single medium size potato, is not good for people with diabetis, high blood pressure or heart disease.
Nutritional Yeast, is a plant based / vegan alternative to cheese. It is generally recommended as an option to boost up the immune sysytem and regulate inflammation caused due to bacterial infections.
To conclude, This, ‘Red Beans & Potato Salad’ is made without using any OIL, cheese or butter. Hence it is completely fat free. It is rich in protein, iron, fibre and carbs as well. Suitable for Vegan, Vegetarian,Plant Based, WFPB, Kids friendly diets.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
I already have a post on how to soak, boil and get sprouts, link here : Sprouts
Appetiser recipes collection⇒ Starters / Snacks
Salad recipes collection⇒ Salads & Soups
Weight Loss recipes collection here⇒ Weight Loss Food / Low Carb Recipes
- Black-eyed Beans Salad / Alasanda Guggillu
- SweetCorn-Pomegranate Salad / Kosambari
- Chana-Aloo Chat / Chickpeas-Potato Salad
- Black-eyed beans Nuggets / Alasanda Vada (Air-Fryer, Stove-top)
Follow me on⇒ Facebook / Pinterest / YouTube / Instagram
- Boiled Potatoes – 2 (medium size)
- Sprouted Red Kidney Beans / Rajma – 1 cup (dry/canned)
- Green Peas – 1 cup (boiled / frozen)
- Coriander – 4 to 5 twigs
- Mint – 5 leaves
- Tomato – 1 large
- Spring Onions / Scallions – 4
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Pumpkin / Sunflower Seeds – 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Sev/ Crushed Crisps/Nutritional Yeast – 2 tablespoons (optional)
- Dry Chilli Flakes / Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Lemon Juice – 2 tablespoons
- Honey / Maple Syrup – 2 tablespoons
- Salt – as per taste
- Indian Chat Masala/ Curry Masala – ¼ teaspoon
- Olive Oil – 2 tablespoons (optional)
- Tomato Sauce/Ketchup – 3 tablespoons
- Roti / Tortilla Wraps / Tacos – 12
- Sev/ Crushed Crisps/Nutritional Yeast
- Mint/ Pudina
- Lemon / Lime
Step wise pics Procedure for Red beans – Potato salad & Vegan Wraps:
- For Dry Beans:
- Wash the Red Beans twice, take them into a wide bowl, add 3 times of fresh water.
- Leave the bowl on kitchen counter, up to 5-6 hrs / overnight.
- If you wish to sprout, go through my post, about how to sprout the beans⇒ Sprouts
- For Canned Beans:
- Exclude the water and use the beans as it is.
TO COOK RED BEANS & POTATOES:
- Strain the soaked beans, take them into a stove-top pressure cooker.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt & fresh water up to the level just above the beans.
- Place the potatoes over the beans.
- Close the lid, Put the pressure cooker on high flame, cook up to 5-6 whistles.
- Later open only when the pressure is released.
- Strain the soaked beans, take them into Instant pot vessel.
- Add fresh water, upto the level just above the beans. Add 1 teaspoon of salt. Place the washed potatoes over the beans.
- Close the lid, turn the valve to SEALING, and set the mode to BEAN / CHILI (takes 30 mins) or else set mode to PRESSURE COOK, under HIGH pressure for 5 mins.
- Release the pressure Naturally (NPR) or Quickly (QPR). Anything is fine.
TO MAKE THE SALAD:
- Peel the potatoes, gently cut them into bite size cubes.
- Wash the vegetables (mint, spring onions, tomato, coriander, ginger) and chop them finely.
- Use the cooked red beans only after straining the water.
TO SERVE THE SALAD:
TO MAKE VEGAN WRAPS:
- Using a tablespoon, gently put 3 heaped tablespoons of salad onto each of the tortilla.
- Roll tightly and using a sharp bread knife cut diagonally at the centre.
- Serve with the same dressing as a dipping sauce.Done!
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- I did not use Oil in this recipe, hence gave it as an optional ingredient.
- For, Instant Pot method of cooking the beans, the time depends on the type of beans and the duration of soaking.
- This is quite a filling salad recipe, very much suitable as a starter for any party, platter.
- Storage: This salad can be chilled in refrigerator and served, especially in summers.
- It stays good up to 2 days when refrigerated.
- The texture of this, red beans potato salad, is soft and chewy, while the taste is fantabulous.
- This salad is so filling that we didn’t feel like having anything else for our dinner.
- The wraps were very handy for kids to hold and were quite soft to bite.
- My kids loved them as much as we did.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Vegan Salad & Wraps with ‘Red Kidney Beans & Potatoes’
- Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker (for IP method)
- Stove top pressure cooker / sauce pan (for Stove Top method)
- Wide Mixing Bowl
- 2 count Boiled Potatoes (medium size)
- 1 cup Sprouted Red Kidney Beans / Rajma (dry/canned)
- 1 cup Green Peas (boiled / frozen)
- 4 to 5 twigs Fresh Coriander
- 5 leaves Mint
- 1 count Tomato (large size)
- 4 count Spring Onions
- 1 inch piece Ginger
- 1 tablespoon Pumpkin / Sunflower Seeds (optional)
- 2 tablespoons Sev/ Crushed Crisps/Nutritional Yeast (optional)
- ½ teaspoon Dry Chilli Flakes / Powder
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons Honey / Maple Syrup
- ¼ teaspoon Salt (as per taste)
- ¼ teaspoon Indian Chat Masala/ Curry Masala
- 2 tablespoons Olive Oil (optional)
- 3 tablespoons Tomato Sauce/Ketchup
- 12 count Roti / Tortilla Wraps / Tacos
- For Dry Beans Wash the Red Beans twice, take them into a wide bowl, add 3 times of fresh water. Leave the bowl on kitchen counter, up to 5-6 hrs / overnight.For Canned Beans:Exclude the water and use the beans as it is.
TO COOK SOAKED RED BEANS / RAJMA
- Stove-top Method: Strain the soaked beans, take them into a stove-top pressure cooker. Add 1 teaspoon of salt & fresh water up to the level just above the beans. Place the potatoes over the beans. Close the lid, Put the pressure cooker on high flame, cook up to 5-6 whistles. Later open only when the pressure is released.
- Instant-Pot Method: Strain the soaked beans, take them into Instant pot vessel. Add fresh water, upto the level just above the beans. Add 1 teaspoon of salt. Place the washed potatoes over the beans.Close the lid, turn the valve to SEALING, and set the mode to BEAN / CHILI (takes 30 mins) or else to PRESSURE COOK, under HIGH pressure for 5 mins. Release the pressure Naturally (NPR) or Quickly (QPR). Anything is fine.
TO MAKE THE SALAD:
- Take the boiled potatoes and gently cut them into bite size cubes.Wash the vegetables (mint, spring onions, tomato, coriander, ginger) and chop them finely.Put aside, half of the chopped coriander leaves for garnishing.Take rest of all the ingredients into a large mixing bowl.
- DRESSING:Into a small bowl, add all the 'Ingredients for dressing'. Mix them thoroughly using a small spoon / fork.
- Pour the dressing onto the ingredients in salad bowl. Using 2 spoons in both the hands, very gently fold in everything. Such that the spices and dressing are well coated to the red beans and potatoes.
- Pour the dressing onto the ingredients in salad bowl. Using 2 spoons in both the hands, very gently fold in everything. Such that the spices and dressing are well coated to the red beans and potatoes. Garnish with the chopped coriander and sev, nutritional yeast. Done!
TO SERVE THE SALAD:
- Layer the salad in glass bowls and pour a teaspoon of left over dressing on it. Just before serving, top up with the nutritional yeast or sev and toasted seeds. Done!!
TO MAKE VEGAN WRAPS:
- Using a tablespoon, gently put 3 heaped tablespoons of salad onto each of the tortilla.Roll tightly and using a sharp knife cut diagonally at the centre.Serve with the same dressing as a dipping sauce. Done!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest Link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category