Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:5 mins MakeTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Chana Aloo (Potato) chaat is an Indian version of, potatoes and chickpeas salad with a touch of Indian masala.
Indian Chana Aloo Chaat is a delightful and flavourful street food dish that has a harmonious blend of spicy, tangy, and savoury flavours.
It is rich in Protein from the chickpeas, has Carbohydrates from the Potatoes and has essential nutrients from herbs we added.
Its a perfect dish suitable for salad, as s starter, or as a snack too. Or In fact its perfect as a filling for any bread, just like we had. 🙂
I even happily make this in the mornings for my kids lunch boxes. Of course, I do get the chickpeas soaked the previous day itself.
My children are very much pleased with this salad. While my hubby loved it as a filling with the flat-bread (pic below).
You can just play with the ingredients in this recipe. Ya, any salad gives such flexibility, right! Try my version of this PERFECTLY healthy salad! 🙂
Table of Contents:
Click to Expand / Collapse
- How to serve, ‘Indian street food Chana Aloo Chaat’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step Wise Pics Procedure for ‘Chana Aloo Chaat / Indian Street style Chickpeas Potato Salad’:
- Prep Work:
- Making the Chana Aloo Chaat:
- Tips & Storage:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to SHOP:
- Recipe Card & Print:
How to serve, ‘Indian street food Chana Aloo Chaat’:
Aloo Chana Chaat is a versatile dish that can be customized to suit your taste preferences. Here is how to serve and enjoy, Indian Kabuli Chana Aloo Chaat:
Serve Chilled: It is typically served chilled, especially during hot weather.
As a Snack: It’s a fantastic snack to serve when you have guests over, whether it’s for a casual get-together or a larger gathering.
Appetizer: Also makes a great appetizer before a larger Indian meal. It awakens the palate and gets your taste buds ready for the main course.
Light Meal: It can be a light, nutritious, and filling vegetarian or vegan meal on its own, especially for something quick and healthy.
Garnish: Before serving, garnish the chana aloo chaat with fresh cilantro or mint, finely chopped onions, or a sprinkle of chaat masala for an extra burst of flavour and colour.
Dressings and Sauces: It’s often served with a drizzle of tamarind chutney, mint chutney, or yogurt, which adds tanginess and creaminess to the dish.
Hot and Spicy: For the spicier side, add some finely chopped green chilies or a dash of hot sauce.
Serving Vessels: Use individual serving bowls or plates, or serve it on disposable plates for a street food-style experience.
Taco Filling: I have tried this Aloo Chana Chaat as a filling for flat breads, pita breads, Mexican tacos. Just as shown in the below picture.
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
I already have a post on how to soak, boil and get chickpea sprouts, link here: Sprouts
Starters recipes collection⇒ Starters / Snacks
Salads recipes collection⇒ Salads & Soups
- Boiled Potatoes – 2 (medium size)
- Chickpeas / Kabuli Chana / Garbanzo Beans – 2 cups (boiled)
- Fresh Coriander/ Cilantro Leaves – 4 to 5 twigs
- Mint Leaves – 1 fistful
- Salad Tomatoes – 12
- Onion – 1
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Green Chillies – 2
- Lemon Slices – 2
- Sev/ Crushed Crisps – 2 tablespoons
- Cream/ Greek Yogurt/ Plain Curd – 2 tablespoons (optional)
Ingredients for dressing:
- Tomato Sauce / Ketchup – 2 tablespoons
- Tamarind Sauce/ Sweet & Sour Sauce – 2 tablespoons
- Lemon Juice – 2 tablespoons
- Olive Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Red Chilli Powder / Paprika – ½ teaspoon
- Dried Herb Mix – ½ teaspoon
- Indian Chaat Masala / Curry Masala – ½ teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Sev / Crushed Crisps
- Fresh Mint Leaves
- Coriander/ Cilantro Leaves
- Tamarind Sauce / Sweet & Sour Sauce
- Fresh Lemon
Step Wise Pics Procedure for ‘Chana Aloo Chaat / Indian Street style Chickpeas Potato Salad’:
As part of the prep work, boiling the chickpeas & potatoes is very much required.
You can boil the potatoes, chickpeas either on Stove Top (or) in an Instant Pot. I have given both the methods, so check accordingly.
Boil the Chickpeas, Potatoes in Instant Pot:
Take the whole potatoes and soaked chickpeas into the Instant Pot vessel. Add water until the beans are just soaked.
Close the IP lid. Set>> mode to PRESSURE COOK, pressure level to HIGH, time to 10 mins.
The IP beeps, when the timer is done. Then, switch OFF the IP. Release the pressure manually after 10 mins.
Gathering & Chopping:
Gather all the ingredients at one place and get all the veggies finely chopped.
Take the boiled potatoes and gently cut them into bite size cubes.
Making the Chana Aloo Chaat:
Take the cubed potato pieces and chickpeas into a wide mixing bowl.
Next, transfer all the chopped vegetables into the same bowl. Add all the ‘Ingredients for dressing’.
Just give a gentle mix, that the spices and sauces are well coated to the chickpeas and potatoes.
Using 2 spoons in both the hands, very gently fold in everything.
Top it up with the Sev/ Crushed Crisps as in pic below.
Optionally, while serving this salad just smear some fresh cream/ plain yogurt on the top. Done!!
Tips & Storage:
- You can use black chickpeas (or) chickpea sprouts in this recipe.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- You can replace potatoes with any other vegetable or eliminate them.
- Instead of dry herbs mix which I added, better to add any other fresh herbs.
- Vegans can just eliminate the cream in the recipe.
- Storage: This, Chana aloo chaat / chickpeas potato salad, can be chilled in refrigerator and served, especially in summers.
- It stays good up to a week when refrigerated.
- The taste of this, Chana aloo chaat / chickpeas potato salad, is tangy and sweet, while the texture is crunchy and soft.
- We had them just like a salad, part of our meal.
- And on the next day we had them as a filling, for the seeded flat bread. It was just yummilicious.
- Whether you enjoy it as a quick snack, a light meal, or an appetizer at your next gathering, the combination of flavours and textures in this dish is sure to leave a lasting impression.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to SHOP:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Chana Aloo Chaat / Chickpeas Potato Salad (Indian Street Style)
- 2 count Potatoes (medium size) (boiled)
- 2 cups White Chickpeas / Kabuli Chana / Bombay Senagalu (boiled)
- 4 to 5 twigs Fresh Coriander Leaves / Cilantro
- 1 fistful Mint / Puthina
- 12 count Salad Tomatoes
- 1 count Onion
- 1 inch piece Ginger
- 2 count Green Chillies
- 2 count Lemon Slices
- 2 tablespoons Crushed Crisps / Sev
- 2 tablespoons Greek Yogurt / Plain Curd / Fresh Cream (optional)
Ingredients for Dressing:
- 2 tablespoon Tomato Ketchup / Tomato Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Tamarind sauce / Sweet & Sour Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- ½ teaspoon Red Chilli Powder/ Smoked Paprika
- ½ teaspoon Dry Herb mix
- ½ teaspoon Indian Chaat Masala / Curry Masala
- as per taste salt
- As part of the prep work, boiling the chickpeas & potatoes is very much required.You can boil the potatoes, chickpeas either on Stove Top (or) in an Instant Pot.
- Boiling in Instant Pot: Take the whole potatoes and soaked chickpeas into the Instant Pot vessel. Add water until the beans are just soaked.Close the IP lid. Set>> mode to PRESSURE COOK, pressure level to HIGH, time to 10 mins.The IP beeps, when the timer is done. Then, switch OFF the IP. Release the pressure manually after 10 mins.
Gathering & Chopping:
- Gather all the ingredients at one place and get all the veggies finely chopped.
- Take the boiled potatoes and gently cut them into bite size cubes.
Making the Chana Aloo Chaat:
- Now, take the cubed potato pieces and chickpeas into a wide mixing bowl and add all the ‘Ingredients for dressing’.
- Just give a gentle mix, that the spices and sauces are well coated to the chickpeas and potatoes.
- Next, transfer all the chopped vegetables into the same bowl.
- Using 2 spoons in both the hands, very gently fold in everything.
- Top it up with the Sev / Crushed Crisps.
- Optionally, while serving this salad just smear some fresh cream/ plain yogurt on the top. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest Link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category