Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:5 mins MixTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
Chana (chickpeas) and Aloo (potato) chat is an Indian version of salad with a touch of Indian masala.
This salad is rich in Protein from the chickpeas, has Carbohydrates from the Potatoes and has essential nutrients from herbs we added. Its a perfect dish suitable for salad, as s starter, or as a snack too. Or In fact its perfect as a filling for any bread, just like we had. 🙂
I even happily make this in the mornings for my kids lunch boxes. Of course, I do get the chickpeas soaked the previous day itself. My children are very much pleased with this salad. While my hubby loved it as a filling with the flat-bread (pic below).
You can just play with the ingredients in this recipe. Ya, any salad gives such flexibility, right! Try my version of this PERFECTLY healthy salad! 🙂
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
I already have a post on how to soak, boil and get chickpea sprouts, link here : Sprouts
My Starters collection here⇒ Starters / Snacks
My Salads collection here⇒ Salads & Soups
- Chickpea Sprouts – Mango Salad
- Thalimpu Senagala / Chana Tadka / Seasoned Chickpeas
- Indian Masala Sandwich
- Boiled Potatoes – 2 (medium size)
- Chick peas/ Chana / Senagalu – – 2 cups (boiled)
- Coriander/ Kothimeera – 4-5 twigs
- Mint/ Pudina – 1 fistful of leaves
- Salad Tomatoes – 12
- Onion – 1
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Green Chillies – 2
- Lemon Slices – 2
- Sev/ Crushed Crisps – 2 tablespoons
- Cream/ Greek Yogurt/ Plain Curd – 2 tablespoons (optional)
Ingredients for dressing:
- Tomato Sauce/Ketchup – 2 tablespoons
- Tamarind Sauce/ Sweet&Sour Sauce – 2 tablespoons
- Lemon Juice – 2 tablespoons
- Olive Oil – 2 tablespoons
- Red Chilli Powder/ Kaaram/ Paprika – ½ teaspoon
- Dried Herb Mix – ½ teaspoon
- Indian Chat Masala/ Curry Masala – ½ teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Sev/ Crushed Crisps
- Mint/ Pudina
- Coriander/ Koththimeera
- Tamarind Sauce/ Sweet & Sour Sauce
Step wise pics Procedure:
- Firstly, get all the veggies finely chopped.
- Take the boiled potatoes and gently cut them into bite size cubes.
- Take the cubed potato pieces and chickpeas into a wide mixing bowl.
- Add all the ‘Ingredients for dressing’.
- Just give a gentle mix, that the spices and sauces are well coated to the chickpeas and potatoes.
- Next, transfer all the chopped vegetables into the same bowl.
- Using 2 spoons in both the hands, very gently fold in everything.
- Top it up with the Sev/ Crushed Crisps as in pic below.
- Optionally, while serving this salad just smear some fresh cream/ plain yogurt on the top. Done!!
- You can use black chickpeas (or) chickpea sprouts in this recipe.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- You can replace potatoes with any other vegetable or eliminate them.
- This is quite a filling salad recipe, very much suitable as a starter for any party, platter.
- Instead of dry herbs mix which I added, better to add any other fresh herbs.
- Vegans can just eliminate the cream in the recipe.
- This, Chana aloo chat / chickpeas salad, can be chilled in refrigerator and served, especially in summers.
- It stays good up to a week when refrigerated.
- The taste of this, Chana aloo chat / chickpeas salad, is tangy and sweet, while the texture is crunchy and soft.
- We had them just like a salad, part of our meal.
- And on the next day we had them as a filling, for the seeded flat bread. It was just yummilicious.
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest Link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category