Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:15mins CookTime:15 mins Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Be it winter or summer, every Indian city / town, the Chaat Bhandaar (Mobile Chat vendors), open up by 4:00PM and continue making, serving different variety of chats (to the crowd) until mid-night.
Its a merry feeling to enjoy eating this savoury appetiser, standing at the Chaat bhandaar. 🙂
Table of Contents:
- What is ‘Chana Papdi Chaat’ & why to use Doritos:
- Other Indian Street Food recipes on my blog:
- What is DORITOS & which variety to use:
- Possible Alterations you could make in, ‘Chana Papdi Chaat with Doritos’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Chana Papdi Chaat with Doritos (Instant Pot, Stove top):
- Prep Work:
- Soak dry Chickpeas:
- Cook soaked Chickpeas:
- Making the Chana Papdi Chaat / Chickpeas Savoury:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
What is ‘Chana Papdi Chaat’ & why to use Doritos:
Chana Papdi Chaat is a North Indian street food variety which is easily available in India, readily made by street vendors.
Here, Chana means chickpeas / garbanzo beans where, Papdi is an authentic North Indian style salty, savoury, flour based crackers.
These crackers are also readily available in the Indian stores. And Chaat is a savoury appetiser that’s made basically with these two ingredients and few Indian spices.
So, presenting you my try in making one of the chat varieties. Using Doritos, instead of papdi (Indian crackers), is my own idea, when I once tried this way, having short of papdi at home.
Since then, this recipe has become a frequent visitor in my kitchen. The taste was unconditionally palatable bursting with Indian flavours.
We, including my kids, had a heartfelt Indian street food style supper over the weekend!! 🙂
Other Indian Street Food recipes on my blog:
- Masala Vada / Lentil Masala Nuggets (Stove Top, Air Fryer, Oven Baked)
- Pav Bhaji
- Maddur Vada (Stove top, Air fryer, Baked Snack)
- Chana-Aloo Chat / Chickpeas-Potato Salad
- Mung Dal Nuggets / Pesarapappu Vada (Air-Fryer, Stove top)
What is DORITOS & which variety to use:
Doritos are chips / crisps, which are readily available in any super market / grocery store.
Variety to use: There are many flavours of Doritos available in the market, but I have used ‘chilly heat wave’ variety, for my recipe.
You can use any other flavour of your choice, but you need to see that it matches to the Indian taste buds.
Possible Alterations you could make in, ‘Chana Papdi Chaat with Doritos’:
Authentic method: Making the authentic chana papdi chaat, just use original papdi in the place of Doritos.
To skip Doritos: In case you do not wish to use Doritos in this recipe, just skip just those, even then the chat tastes amazing.
Other ingredients to use: While Plating, adding a small boiled potato & mashing it, gives a different taste & makes even more filling.
Instead of chickpeas / chana, you might use whole white peas / safed matar / thella bataani.
Quantity of Masala: You can adjust the quantity of masala / spice powders as per your preference / tolerance level.
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
My other Appetiser recipes collection⇒ Starters / Snacks
Salad recipes collection⇒ Salads & Soups
- Chana Masala / Vegan Chickpea Stew (Instant Pot, Stove top)
- Spinach & Chickpeas Pulao Rice (South Indian style)
- Chana / Chickpea Sprouts – Basil Sandwich
- Chickpeas and Sweet Potato Soup (Instant Pot, Stove Top)
- Chana-Aloo Chat / Chickpeas-Potato Salad
Follow me on⇒ Facebook / Pinterest / YouTube / Instagram
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Water – as required
- Boiled Chickpeas / Garbanzo Beans / Chana – 1½ cups
- Doritos (original / spicy) – 1 large pack
- Onion – 1 (large size, finely chopped)
- Finely Chopped Fresh Ginger – 1 tablespoon
- Tomatoes – 2 (large size, finely chopped)
- Finely Chopped Green Chillies – 1 tablespoon
To make Green Chutney:
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – a handful (packed)
- Salt – as per taste
- Fresh Mint Leaves – a handful (packed)
- Ice Cubes – 4
- Fresh Green Chillies – 2
- Ground Coriander / Dhaniya Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Chat Masala – ½ teaspoon
- Ground Cumin / Jeera Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Aamchur / Dry Mango Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Salt – as per taste
- Sev (thin / thick) – ½ cup
- Sweet Tamarind Sauce – ¼ cup
- Tomato Sauce / Ketchup – ¼ cup
- Chat Masala
- Sweet Tamarind Sauce
- Ice Cubes
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Chana Papdi Chaat with Doritos (Instant Pot, Stove top):
Soak dry Chickpeas:
- Take 2 cups of dry chickpeas into a wide vessel, wash them thoroughly. Add water, 4 times the quantity of beans.
- Leave the vessel on kitchen platform, let the chickpeas soak for 8 hrs/overnight.
- Strain the soaked water before cooking.
Cook soaked Chickpeas:
on Stove Top Vessel:
- Take the soaked chickpeas into a sauce pan, add double quantity of water.
- Close with lid. Let them cook on stove-top medium flame until they soften (might take 30 to 40 mins).
using Stove Top Pressure Cooker:
- Take them into the cooker. Add 3 cups of water.
- Close the lid, put the whistle ON, let it cook for 5 whistles. Open only when the pressure is released.
in Instant Pot Electric Pressure Cooker:
- Take them into the Instant Pot. Add 3 cups of water.
- Close the lid, turn the valve to SEALING, and set the mode to BEAN / CHILI (or) to PRESSURE COOK for 4 mins. Release the pressure naturally (NPR).
Making the Chana Papdi Chaat / Chickpeas Savoury:
- If your chickpeas are soaked but not boiled, start off with it first, then get on with the chopping.
- Adjust the salt & spice as per your taste.
- You can use black chickpeas (or) chickpea sprouts in this recipe, but white chickpeas / garbanzo beans give the best taste.
- With regard to plating, actually there is no specific order or quantity, just keep layering all the items one above another as per your taste and preference.
- It is quite a filling savoury recipe, very much suitable as a starter for any party or gathering or even kids birthday platter.
- Storage: This, Chana papdi chaat with Doritos, tastes best only when served fresh & hot.
- The, Chana Papdi chaat with Doritos, is tangy, spicy and sweet in taste, while the texture is crunchy (from Doritos) and soft (from the chickpeas).
- We had it for our weekend supper, which kept us filling but none of us left the table without having the 2nd serving! 🙂
- Its best suitable for small family gatherings, parties and kids parties too.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Chana Papdi Chat (Chickpeas Savoury) with Doritos
- Frying pan (for stove-top method)
- Sauce Pan / Vessel (for stove-top method)
- Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker (for IP method)
- 3 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- as required Water
- 1 count Onion large size, finely chopped
- 2 count Tomatoes large size, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Ginger (Finely Chopped)
- 1 tablespoon Green Chillies (Finely Chopped)
- 1½ cups Boiled Chickpeas / Garbanzo Beans / Chana (or canned)
- 1 large pack Doritos (crisps / chips) (original / spicy)
For Green Chutney:
- 1 handful Fresh Coriander Leaves (packed)
- 1 handful Fresh Mint Leaves (packed)
- 2 count Fresh Green Chillies
- 4 count Ice Cubes
- as per taste Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground Coriander / Dhaniya Powder
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cumin / Jeera Powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ½ teaspoon Chat Masala
- ¼ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Aamchur / Dry Mango Powder
- as per taste Salt
- ½ cup Sev (thin / thick)
- ¼ cup Sweet Tamarind Sauce
- ¼ cup Tomato Sauce / Ketchup
- Gather all the required ingredients at one place.
- In a spice blender / mixie, take all the Ingredients under 'For Green Paste', and blend into a smooth paste.
- Put a frying pan on stove top under medium flame. Add the chopped onions & ginger, stir fry until the onions turn translucent.
- Now, add half of the the chopped tomatoes, chopped green chillies and all the ingredients under 'For seasoning'.
- Next, pour in half of the green chutney into the pan, and the boiled chickpeas / chana. Let everything cook for 5 mins. Later switch the flame off and transfer everything into a dish.
- For plating, keep all these together at one place>>> prepared chana chat, sev, doritos crips / chips, chopped onions, chopped tomatoes, chopped coriander, sweet tamarind sauce, tomato sauce, green chutney.
- Place a layer of doritos throughout, over it pour 2 tablespoons of chickpeas chat.Next layer goes the green chutney, few chopped onions, few chopped tomatoes, a teaspoon each of tamarind sauce & tomato sauce. On top of all this, add crunches of doritos. Repeat the same again for the next layers. At last top up with dorito crunches, sev, chopped onion and chopped coriander leaves. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category