Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10mins CookTime:10mins Cuisine:Indian
Chana / Chickpea Sprouts & Basil Grilled Sandwich!!! Look at that descripton, doesn’t it sound very healthy!
Sprouts, the most healthiest form of any beans / legumes / lentils when compared to them alone. I had already made a blog post about the excellent health benefits of sprouts, how to make sprouts, how to cook them ( Recipe Link with stepwise pics⇒ Sprouts )
Actualy, wanted to make something quick and easy yet filling meal, which has carbs, protein, calcium, greens and veggies. So here I made these yummy sandwiches that have sprouts (for protein), basil (for greens), cheese (for clacium) , potatoes (for carbs), and of course, bread for wholesome benefits.
Few of the sandwiches below, are made in electric sandwich toaster and few on the stovetop grill pan. Trust me, these were absolutely filling to the tummy. I could have just 2 sandwiches with a bowl of fresh cut fruits. Do try them and let me know!!
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips which I mentioned at the end.
My Breakfast Collection here⇒ Breakfast / Tiffin
My Kids Lunch Box Collection here⇒ Lunch Box
- Cherry-Banana Bread (Eggless)
- Chana-Aloo Chat / Chickpeas-Potato Salad
- Thalimpu Senagala / Chana Tadka / Seasoned Chickpeas
- Bread Slices – 4
- Chickpeas / Chickpea Sprouts – 1 cup
- Boiled Potatoes – 4 small
- Onions (chopped) – ½ cup
- Ginger – 1 inch (chopped)
- Grated Cheese (any) – ½ to ¾ cup
- Butter – 2 teaspoons
- Fresh Basil (chopped) – 6 leaves
- Fresh Mint (chopped) – 6 leaves
- Green Chillies – 4
- Salt – as per taste
- Chat Masala / Garam Masala/ Curry Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Red Chilli powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Grated Cheese
- Chat Masala / Garam Masala / Curry Powder
- Using a pressure cooker boil the chickpeas / sprouts and potatoes, for upto 5 whistles.
- Take them into a wide mixing bowl, mash them using hands / masher.
- Add all these ingredients into the bowl….. chopped ginger, chopped onions, chopped green chillies, chopped basil, chopped mint, salt, red chilli powder, masala powder, turmeric powder, cheese.
- Using hands, mix up everything thoroughly. Keep aside.
- Take the bread slices, apply a layer of butter on all.
- Using a spoon, place enough of the stuffing on all the bread slices.
- Place on on each other, so that you get 2 sandwiches on whole.
- Brush the electric sandwich maker / stovetop grill pan with butter.
- Place the breads on them, put the grilled pan on stoevtop under high flame.
- Grill them on both sides, for 2 mins on each side.
- Using a knife /pizza cutter cut each into 4 equal parts. Done!!
Step Wise Pics Recipe below:
Chickpea Sprouts and Potatoes (peeled) boiled in a pressure cooker
After mashing the chickpeas & potatoes, add all the rest of the ingredients (except butter) and mix thoroughly.
Sprouts stuffing spread along the bread slice which is smeared with butter
‘Chickpeas Stuffing’ filled sandwiches done in an Electric Sandwich Maker
Sandwiches made on stovetop using a Grill pan, for 2 mins on each side.
Using a knife / pizza cutter cut each sandwich into 4 equal pieces. Done!!
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- You can use any other bread of your choice. I used Wholemeal Bread in this recipe.
- You can even avoid the potatoes in the recipe, to make it lighter in CARBS!
- Make the stuffing well before, store it in the fridge and use it whenever needed.
- These sandwiches were completely filling and you wouldn’t feel hungry till the next meal.
- We had them with tomato ketchup as a dip and fresh fruit platter on the side, so it made a complete meal.
You can Pinit here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category