Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:15mins CookTime:10mins Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Chana / Chickpea Sprouts & Basil Grilled Sandwich!!! Look at that description, doesn’t it sound very healthy!
Trust me, these were absolutely filling to the tummy. I could have just 2 sandwiches with a bowl of fresh cut fruits. Do try them and let me know!!
Table of Contents:
- More Sandwich recipes from my blog:
- Why to make ‘Chickpeas (Sprouts) Basil Vegan Sandwich’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Chickpeas Sprouts – Basil Sandwich’:
- Prep Work:
- Prepare Sandwich Filling:
- Adding the Filling:
- To Grill the Sandwich:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
More Sandwich recipes from my blog:
- Avocado and Leafy Greens Sandwich
- Grilled Eggplant (Aubergine) Cheesy Sandwich
- Indian Masala Sandwich
- Grilled Zucchini (Courgette) Vegan Sandwich
- Vegan Mayo & Green Peas Spicy Sandwich
- Sweet Potato & Spring Onion Sandwich
Why to make ‘Chickpeas (Sprouts) Basil Vegan Sandwich’:
Sprouts, the most healthiest form of any beans / legumes / lentils when compared to them alone.
I had already made a blog post about the excellent health benefits of sprouts, how to make sprouts, how to cook them ( Recipe Link with step wise pics⇒ Sprouts )
Actually, wanted to make something quick and easy yet filling meal, which has carbs, protein, calcium, greens and veggies.
So here I made these yummy sandwiches that have sprouts (for protein), basil (for greens), cheese (for calcium) , potatoes (for carbs), and of course, bread for wholesome benefits.
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Instant Pot recipes collection⇒ Electric Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot Recipes
Breakfast Recipes Collection here⇒ Breakfast / Tiffin
Kids Lunch Box Collection here⇒ Lunch Box
After School Treats Recipes here⇒ After School / Lunch Box Sweet Treats
- Cherry-Banana Bread (Eggless)
- Chana-Aloo Chat / Chickpeas-Potato Salad
- Thalimpu Senagala / Chana Tadka / Seasoned Chickpeas
Follow me on⇒ Facebook / Pinterest / YouTube / Instagram
- Bread Slices – 4
- Chickpeas / Chickpea Sprouts – 1 cup
- Boiled Potatoes – 4 small
- Onions (chopped) – ½ cup
- Ginger – 1 inch (chopped)
- Grated Cheese (mozzarella) – ¾ cup
- Butter – 2 teaspoons
- Fresh Basil – 6 leaves (chopped)
- Fresh Mint – 6 leaves (chopped)
- Green Chillies – 4
- Salt – as per taste
- Chat Masala / Garam Masala / Curry Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Red Chilli powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Grated Cheese
- Chat Masala / Garam Masala / Curry Powder
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Chickpeas Sprouts – Basil Sandwich’:
Boiling Chickpeas & Potatoes on Stove Top:
Boiling Chickpeas & Potatoes in Instant Pot:
Prepare Sandwich Filling:
Adding the Filling:
To Grill the Sandwich:
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- You can use any other bread of your choice. I used Wholemeal Bread in this recipe.
- You can even avoid the potatoes in the recipe, to make it lighter in CARBS!
- I have used Vegan Cheese (store bought) for this recipe.
- Storage: Make the stuffing well before, store it in the fridge and use it whenever needed.
- These, chana / chickpea sprouts – basil sandwich, were completely filling and you wouldn’t feel hungry till the next meal.
- We had them with tomato ketchup as a dip and fresh fruit platter on the side, so it made a complete meal.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Chickpeas (Sprouts) and Basil Sandwich
- Wide Mixing Bowl
- Grill Pan (for stove top method) (or) Sandwich Maker
- 4 count Bread Slices
- 1 cup Chickpeas / Chickpea Sprouts (soaked)
- 4 count Potatoes (small size)
- ½ cup Onions (chopped)
- 1 inch Ginger (chopped)
- ¾ cup Grated Cheese (mozzarella)
- 2 teaspoons Butter
- 10 count Fresh Basil (chopped)
- 10 count Fresh Mint (chopped)
- 4 count Green Chillies
- as per taste Salt
- ½ teaspoon Chat Masala / Garam Masala/ Curry Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Red Chilli powder
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- You can boil the chickpeas & potatoes, either on Stove Top (or) in Instant Pot.
Boiling the Chickpeas & Potatoes on Stove Top
- Boil the Chickpeas (sprouts) and Potatoes together in a stove top closed vessel for 20 mins on high flame. Or else on a stove top pressure cooker for 5 whistles.
Boiling the Chickpeas & Potatoes in an Instant Pot
- Take the chickpeas (sprouts) and potatoes into IP vessel. Pour 2 cups of water. Close the lid, set to PRESSURE COOK mode, under HIGH PRESSURE, valve to SEALING, for 10 mins. Later, release pressure naturally (NPR).
CHICKPEAS SANDWICH MAKING:
To Prepare Sandwich Filling:
- Add all these into a wide mixing bowl>> mashed chickpeas, mashed potatoes, chopped ginger, chopped onions, chopped green chillies, chopped basil, chopped mint, salt, red chilli powder, masala powder, turmeric powder, cheese. Mix everything.
Adding the Filling:
- Take the bread slices, apply a layer of butter. Add a tablespoon of stuffing on each slice and spread it throughout. Now, add enough grated cheese on each slice.
To Grill the sandwich:
- Using Sandwich Maker:
- In an Electric Sandwich Maker: Brush the electric sandwich maker with butter. Place the bread slices (one above another). Switch ON the gadget, toast until done.
- Using Stove Top Grill Pan:
- Put the grill pan on stove under high flame. Smear it with butter, place the bread slice (one above another) grill on each side for 3-4 mins.
Cut the sandwich:
- Using a knife / pizza cutter cut each sandwich into 4 equal pieces. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category