Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:English
Sweet Potato & Spring Onion sandwich, is one of the highly nutritious and is absolutely filling if taken in right amount.
Sweet potatoes are a rich source of fibre, vitamins B & C, and minerals including iron, calcium, selenium. One of the key nutritional benefits is that they’re high in beta-carotene, which converts to vitamin A once consumed. This, Vitamin-A helps to boost up the immune system and thus lowers the risk of various diseases. (info from internet)
Every day, while packing lunch boxes for my children, I try making different variety of sandwiches atleast twice a week. But, like any other Mom, mornings, being very busy time of the day, I dont get enough time to take few snaps. And hence, I end up only few lunch box recipes.
But this day, I decided to make sanwiches for all of us as a brunch. Which made my job simple but completely satisfied our hunger. Gave me ample time for taking the photos too.
We had these, Sweet Potato & Spring Onion sandwich, with regular tomato ketchup as a dip and freshly sliced oranges & strawberries on the side, so it made a complete meal.
The sweetness of sweet potatoes was not at all visible in taste. The addition of spring onions is played the main role for an entirely new taste & flavour of the sandwich. My kids totally approved and loved them in their lunch boxes too.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
My Breakfast Collection here⇒ Breakfast / Tiffin
My Kids Lunch Box Collection here⇒ Lunch Box
Snacks Recipes collection here⇒ Starters / Snacks
Ingredients: (makes 4 sandwiches)
- Bread Slices – 4
- Sweet Potatoes (boiled) – 1 cup
- Spring Onions (chopped) – 4 tablespoons
- Salt – as per taste –
- Green Chillies (chopped) – 1 tablespoon
- Fresh Coriander (chopped) – 2 tablespoons
- Ginger – 1 tablespoon (chopped)
- Garlic – 1 tablespoon (chopped) (optional)
- Dry Herb Mixture – 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Butter – 2 teaspoons
- Grated Cheese (any) – ½ cup
- Tomato sauce / ketchup – 1 tablespoon
- Green Chillies
- Fresh Coriander
Step wise pics Procedure:
Stuffing: Take the boiled sweet potatoes , chopped spring onions, chopped coriander leaves, chopped green chillies, salt, dry herbs, chopped ginger, chopped garlic into a mixing bowl.
After mashing the sweet potatoes, mix up all the rest of the ingredients thoroughly.
Apply butter on the bread slices. And smear tomato sauce on top.
Using a spoon, spread the ‘Potato Stuffing’ throughout the bread slices.
Sandwich maker: Brush the base of sandwich maker with butter, place the bread slices (one above another) and close the lid. Switch on the gadget & toast it until done.
Stove top grill pan:
Put the grilled pan on stovetop under high flame.
Smear it with butter, place the bread slices, grill for 2 mins on each side. D
Using a bread knife / pizza cutter cut each into 2 equal parts. Done!!
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- Try to add more spice, to sub the sweetness of the sweet potatoes.
- You can use any other bread of your choice. I used Whole Wheat Seeded Bread for this recipe.
- You can even avoid the sweet potatoes in the recipe, to make it lighter in CARBS! But actually, sweet potatoes are itself low in cals.
- Make the stuffing well before, store it in the fridge and use it whenever needed.
- These, Sweet Potato & Spring onion sandwiche, were completely filling and you wouldn’t feel hungry till the next meal.
- The sweetness of sweet potatoes was not at all visible in taste.
- The addition of spring onions has played the main role for an entirely new taste & flavour of the sandwich.
- We had them with regular tomato ketchup as a dip and freshly sliced oranges & strawberries on the side, so it made a complete meal.
You can Pinit here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category