Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:English
Sweet Potato & Spring Onion sandwich, is one of the highly nutritious and is absolutely filling if taken in right amount.
Sweet potatoes are a rich source of fibre, vitamins B & C, and minerals including iron, calcium, selenium. One of the key nutritional benefits is that they’re high in beta-carotene, which converts to vitamin A once consumed. This, Vitamin-A helps to boost up the immune system and thus lowers the risk of various diseases. (info from internet)
Every day, while packing lunch boxes for my children, I try making different variety of sandwiches atleast twice a week. But, like any other Mom, mornings, being very busy time of the day, I dont get enough time to take few snaps. And hence, I end up only few lunch box recipes.
But this day, I decided to make sanwiches for all of us as a brunch. Which made my job simple but completely satisfied our hunger. Gave me ample time for taking the photos too.
We had these, Sweet Potato & Spring Onion sandwiches with regular tomato ketchup as a dip and freshly sliced oranges & strawberries on the side, so it made a complete meal.
The sweetness of sweet potatoes was not at all visible in taste. The addition of spring onions is played the main role for an entirely new taste & flavour of the sandwich. My kids totally approved and loved them in their lunch boxes too.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips which I mentioned at the end.
My Breakfast Collection here⇒ Breakfast / Tiffin
My Kids Lunch Box Collection here⇒ Lunch Box
Ingredients: (makes 4 sandwiches)
- Bread Slices – 4
- Sweet Potatoes (boiled) – 1 cup
- Spring Onions (chopped) – 4 tablespoons
- Salt – as per taste –
- Green Chillies (chopped) – 1 tablespoon
- Fresh Coriander (chopped) – 2 tablespoons
- Ginger – 1 tablespoon (chopped)
- Garlic – 1 tablespoon (chopped) (optional)
- Dry Herb Mixture – 1 teaspoon (optional)
- Butter – 2 teaspoons
- Grated Cheese (any) – ½ cup
- Tomato sauce / ketchup – 1 tablespoon
- Green Chillies
- Fresh Coriander
Step wise pics Procedure:
Stuffing: Take the boiled sweet potatoes , chopped spring onions, chopped coriander leaves, chopped green chillies, salt, dry herbs, chopped ginger, chopped garlic into a mixing bowl.
After mashing the sweet potatoes, mix up all the rest of the ingredients thoroughly.
Apply butter on the bread slices. And smear tomato sauce on top.
Using a spoon, spread the ‘Potato Stuffing’ throughout the bread slices.
Sandwich maker: Brush the base of sandwich maker with butter, place the bread slices (one above another) and close the lid. Switch on the gadget & toast it until done.
Stove top grill pan:
Put the grilled pan on stovetop under high flame.
Smear it with butter, place the bread slices, grill for 2 mins on each side. D
Using a bread knife / pizza cutter cut each into 2 equal parts. Done!!
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- Try to add more spice, to sub the sweetness of the sweet potatoes.
- You can use any other bread of your choice. I used Whole Wheat Seeded Bread for this recipe.
- You can even avoid the sweet potatoes in the recipe, to make it lighter in CARBS!
- Make the stuffing well before, store it in the fridge and use it whenever needed.
- These, Sweet Potato & Spring onion sandwiches were completely filling and you wouldn’t feel hungry till the next meal.
- The sweetness of sweet potatoes was not at all visible in taste.
- The addition of spring onions is played the main role for an entirely new taste & flavour of the sandwich.
- We had them with regular tomato ketchup as a dip and freshly sliced oranges & strawberries on the side, so it made a complete meal.
You can Pinit here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category