Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:20 hrs CookTime:20 mins Cuisine: Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Whole Ragi / Finger Millets Idli is a South Indian breakfast recipe. Millets have become the talk of the town, kind of grains these days. Out of which these whole ragi / finger millets are popular for its low carbs, gluten free, weight loss, iron rich, calcium rich and diabetic friendly features.
I have already posted this Instant Ragi / Bhakri / Finger Millets Idli on my blog, and was waiting to post idli recipe using whole ragi which gives best health benefits than the former.
These idli(s) turned superbly awesome both in taste and texture. Finished the batter yesterday and am already ready with the next batch of soaking the dals.
How to serve, ‘Whole Ragi Idli / Finger Millets Idli’:
As shown in the picture above, I served them with, Menthaku / Methi Leaves Chutney Powder and Instant Coconut Chutney / Kobbari Pachchadi as condiments. And a glass of hot of milk and banana pieces as an addition, to make the platter complete.
Other suitable Chutney & Podi recipes from my blog:
- Peanut Chutney / Palli Pachadi
- Courgettes Chutney / Zucchini Chutney / Nethi-Beerakaya Pachchadi
- Tomato Chutney / Tomato Pachchadi
- Green Chilli Chutney / Mirchi Pachchadi
- Mint Leaves Spice Powder / Pudina Karam Podi
- Fresh Coconut Chutney Powder (Oil Free)
Health Benefits of ‘Whole Ragi Idli / Nachni / Finger Millets Fermented Idli’:
Whole Ragi / Finger Millets: are popular for its low carbs, gluten free, weight loss, iron rich, calcium rich and diabetic friendly features.
Urad Dal / Black Lentils: are the richest sources of protein, iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, folic acid. Very high in fibre. Its also full of fat and carbohydrates. It is a complete healthy, nutritious package of good food for people of any age.
To Conclude: This recipe is perfectly suitable for Vegetarian, Vegan, Gluten free, Plant Based, Diabetic Friendly, Weight Loss, Weight Watchers diets.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Instant Pot recipes collection⇒ Electric Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot Recipes Collection
Other Breakfast recipes collection⇒ Breakfast / Tiffin
Chutney recipes collection⇒ Chutney / Pachchadi / Dip
- Ragi-Nuvvula Laddu / Millet-Sesame Sweet Balls / Bhakri-Til Laddoo
- Instant Ragi / Bhakri / Finger Millets Idli
- Rava Upma / Semolina Savoury Porridge
FULL VIDEO FROM MY YOU TUBE CHANNEL:
- Whole Ragi Seeds / Nachni / Whole Finger Millets – 1½ cup
- Whole Urad Dal / Urad Gota / Minapa Gundlu – 1 cup
- Water – 3 cups (to soak)
- Salt – 3 teaspoons
- Grated Carrot – 2 tablespoons (optional)
- Cashew Nuts – 10 (optional)
- Whole Urad Dal / Gota / Minapa Gundlu
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Whole Ragi No rice idli / Finger Millets Idli / Nachni idli‘:
- Use the same soaked water, even for grinding. I did not add any extra water.
- For fermentation, leave the vessel with batter, on kitchen platform, or in the non-switched oven or the non-switched microwave with closed door.
- I leave the batter on the kitchen platform , overnight from 9PM to 6AM, which works perfectly for me.
- Storage: You can store the batter in the fridge, for a week and use it immediately when you take it out.
- Freeze the batter for about a month, but thaw before you use.
- You can store the steamed idli(s) in fridge, re-heat before serving.
- The taste of these, Whole ragi / finger millets idli, is very much like the regular idli(s) but not 100% the same.
- In texture, yes they are cotton soft and fluffy. You can see this in my video.
- The grated and cashew nuts gave an extra bit of taste.
- As condiments we had, Menthaku / Methi Leaves Chutney Powder and Instant Coconut Chutney / Kobbari Pachchadi
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Whole Ragi Idli / Finger Millets Idli Recipe
- Blender/Grinder/Mixie. (to grind into batter)
- Idli steamer / Idli stand with moulds
- Idli Stand (for both stove top & instant pot methods)
- Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker (for IP method)
- 1½ cups Whole Ragi Seeds / Nachni / Whole Finger Millets
- 1 cup Whole Urad Dal / Urad Gota / Minapa Gundlu
- 3 cups Water (to soak)
- 3 teaspoons Salt
- 2 tablespoons Grated Carrot (optional)
- 10 count Cashew Nuts (optional)
- In a deep vessel, Take the whole ragi / ragulu / nachni / finger millets along with urad gota / minapa gundlu
- Wash them thoroughly 2-3 times and soak them in water for about 5-6 hrs.
- Take the soaked ragi & dal along with the soaked water and grind them in a grinder / blender / mixie.
- Add salt and mix the batter thoroughly throughout the vessel, for about 2 mins.
- Using Kitchen Platform: Take the batter into a wide bowl, leave it for fermentation for about 8-9 hrs / overnight.
- Using Oven / Room Temperature: Pre-heat the oven at MAX temperature, for 10 mins. Switch off and place the vessel inside, close the oven with just the lights ON. Leave it for 8 to 10 hrs.
- Using Instant Pot: Transfer the batter into the POT. Close it with a LID (not the instant pot lid). Set to YOGURT MODE, for up to 8 hrs.
- Grease the idli moulds with cooking oil. Place little of grated carrot and a cashew nut on each.
- Using a small ladle, pour the batter onto each mould.
STEAMING IDLI on STOVE TOP:
- Add 1½ cups of water to a heavy bottomed wide vessel, stack the idli plates, close the lid & steam cook under high flame for 12-15 mins.
- Switch the flame off and leave the vessel for 5-7 mins.
- Using a wet spoon gently scoop out each idli. Serve. Done!!
STEAMING IDLI in an INSTANT POT PRESSURE COOKER:
- Fill the pot with 2 cups of water. Select SAUTE mode for 2 mins until the water boils.
- Cancel the SAUTE mode, Put the idli stand in the pot, close the lid, put valve to VENTING.
- Select STEAM mode under HIGH pressure for 10 -12 mins.(you will have to use an external timer).
- Press the CANCEL button, Switch OFF the gadget. But, remove the lid only after 3-5 mins.
- Using a wet spoon, Gently scoop out each idli from its hole. Dip the spoon each time in water and repeat for all. Serve. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category