Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:2 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
Avocado chutney (south indian style), is a very simple dip, which can be made in a jiffy using South Indian spice combinations.
So, this is the story behind making this simple chutney. 🙂 I started using avocado(s) in my recipes, after trying this Avocado – Mango Milkshake, which I liked it a lot. Over the weekend, I prepared the batter, and got all set for making Idli, for breakfast. And I placed the idli(s) for steaming. Now, I have just 10-12 mins for the chutney to be ready. And, I didn’t have fresh coconut pieces ready to make Coconut Chutney .
Instantaneously, this idea popped into my head, on seeing an avocado lying in the fruit basket. Just followed my own recipe of this and that, but you got to try this, IT TURNED OUT ABSOLUTELY YUM! And with idli(s) it was great!!
Health Benefits of Avocado
Avocados are very high in fiber, incredibly nutritious, rich in mono saturated fats (suitable for heart health), good source of anti-oxidant Vitamin-E, helps in reducing high cholesterol levels. (info from internet).
This DIP goes extremely well with any chips, crackers, as sandwich spread, for bread sticks. etc. Just give a try! 🙂 🙂
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
My Chutney recipes collection here⇒ Chutney / Pachchadi / Dip
Breakfast recipes collection here⇒ Breakfast / Tiffin
Collection of recipes with ‘GREENS’⇒ Recipes with GREENS
- Avocado – 1
- Fresh Tomatoes – 3 (small size) (chopped)
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Dry Red Chillies – 4 to 5
- Fresh Long Green Chillies – 8
- Fresh Curry Leaves – 5
- Salt – as per taste
- Fresh Chopped Coriander – 3 tablespoons
- Onion – 1 small (finely chopped)
- Garlic Cloves – 2 (chopped)
Ingredients for tempering:
- Cumin Seeds / Jeera – ¼ teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds / Aavaalu – ¼ teaspoon
- Turmeric – a pinch
- Sesame Seeds / Nuvvulu – ¼ teaspoon
- Fenugreek Seeds / Menthulu – ¼ teaspoon
- Urad Dal / Split Black Gram – 1 and ½ teaspoon
- Asafoetida / Hing / Inguva – half of ¼ teaspoon
- Asafoetida / Hing / Inguva
- Fresh Long Green Chillies
Step wise pics procedure for Avocado chutney (south indian style):
Wash the avocado, cut into half & remove the seed.
Using a spoon, scoop the pulp out of the avoado into a bowl.
Put a small frying pan on stove top under low flame, add OIL & all ‘Ingredients for Tempering’ and saute.
Add the Green Chillies, Dry Red Chillies and fresh curry leaves to the pan and sautee.
Add the chopped tomatoes & salt. Cover with lid and cook for 2-3 mins. Remove the lid, once the tomatoes soften.
Let the water completely evoparate. Switch the flame off. Add the avocado pulp & chopped coriander. Mix thoroughly.
Once cooled, transfer the chutney into serving bowl. Done!!
- Among the list of ‘Ingredients for tempering’, just add those which you have in your pantry.
- Keep stirring continuously while sauteing the ingredients so that they don’t burn.
- Adjust the salt & spice as per your taste.
- You can add chopped Garlic & Onions in the tempering and saute.
- This, Avocado chutney (south indian style) stays good up to a 2-3 days when stored in the fridge.
- We had this, Avocado chutney (south indian style) as a condiment with steamed hot Idli, which tasted absolutely YUM!
- This DIP goes extremely well with any chips, crackers, as sandwich spread, for bread sticks. etc. Just give a try.
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category