Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10mins CookTime:10mins Cuisine:Indian
Avocado Roti / Tortilla made with whole wheat flour, is a very simple and basic recipe with a maximum of 30 minutes of preparation and cooking time, altogether, in exchange for a tasty meal.
My kids just adored the powerful green colour and the naturally cheesy inside texture. The perfect way of having a mouth-watering meal while staying healthy. We had them with Potato Mash Curry /Aloo Tadka / Bangaladumpa Koora as a side and ended up with Masala Lassi / Indian Spiced Buttermilk .
How to store Avocado Roti / Tortilla:
Cook the roti/tortilla(s) fully on the griddle. Alternatively, you can only half-cook the roti/tortilla(s) on the griddle. Let them cool down completely. Pile up one above another by placing a cling film to separate each other. Place the pile in a zip lock and put it in the freezer.
If frozen, they can last upto few months. Take them out of the freezer, just place one on a hot griddle. Pan fry each side for approximately 30 seconds and you have them ready to serve.
How to use / serve:
Amazingly delicious and healthy, these roti(s) are also very filling and long-lasting. With just a few you will be completely stuffed. The major benefit is that these roti / tortilla can be used for breakfast wraps, part of a meal platter with a tasty curry, as a snack / appetiser alongside a simple dip, in kids lunch box , for any travel, also can be categorised as a weight loss diet. These are multi-purpose!
Health Benefits of Avocado Chapathi / Roti:
Avocados are very high in fibre, protein, nutrition, Vitamin-E, lowers cholesterol and have more potassium than a banana. To add to these, whole wheat flour provides carbohydrates (info from internet)
To conclude, these roti / tortilla(s), provide the necessary carbs, are rich in protein, iron & other fibres which improve ones digestive system.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Weight Loss recipes collection⇒ Weight Loss Food / Low Carb Recipes
Curry Recipes here⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
- Avocado Chutney (South Indian style)
- Avocado – Mango Salsa & Tacos ( No Oil)
- Roti / Tortilla with Beetroot Greens & Stalk
- Wheat Flour – 1 cup
- Hot Water – ½ cup
- Turmeric Powder – a pinch
- Salt – as per taste
- Avocado – a half
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Whole Cumin / Jeera – ¼ teaspoon
- Garam Masala Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Green Chillies – 1 or 2 (small size)
- Cooking Oil – as required (optional)
- Hot Water
- Whole Cumin
Step wise pics Procedure for Avocado Roti / Tortilla (Whole Wheat):
Instead of food processor, you can even use a mixing bowl and knead the dough with hands.
- Adjust the salt & spice as per your taste.
- You can use either fully ripe avocado or unripe one too.
- I used my food processor for making the chapati / tortilla dough, if not you can do the same manually in a mixing bowl using your hands.
- You can use any masala powder for flavouring, like curry powder, sambar powder, amchur powder too.
- These roti/tortilla can be made ahead and stored in freezer for up to few months. Just reheat them on the tawa/pan before serving.
- If not frozen, these stay good up to 2-3 days at room temperature in an air tight container.
- These, Avocado Roti / Tortilla (Whole Wheat), tasted perfectly well, even on their own, without any dip / side too.
- We had them with Potato Mash Curry /Aloo Tadka / Bangaladumpa Koora as a side and along with Masala Lassi / Indian Spiced Buttermilk .
- But my kids ate them as they are. After all, I added the spice & salt to the batter right!
Avocado Roti / Tortilla (Whole Wheat, Plant Based)
- 1 cup Wheat Flour
- ½ cup Hot Water
- a pinch of Turmeric Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ an Avocado
- 1 inch Ginger
- ¼ teaspoon Whole Cumin / Jeera
- ¼ teaspoon Garam Masala Powder
- 2 count Green Chillies (small size)
- as required Cooking Oil (optional)
- Cut the avocado at the centre. Eliminate the pit, scoop out the pulp with a spoon.
- Take them into the processor or a vessel. Add the whole cumin / jeera, chopped ginger, chopped green chilli as well.
- Mash up everything into fine paste.
- To the same mix, Add the whole wheat flour / chapathi aata, salt, turmeric powder and garam masala powder.
- Add the hot water little by little and knead into dough as shown.
- Divide the dough into equal parts, make small ball out of each. Using a rolling pin, roll each ball, across a flat surface, into a round shaped roti / tortilla. Apply dry flour in between, when its sticky.
- Put a griddle on stove top under high flame. When its hot, gently transfer this flattened round roti / tortilla onto it.
- Spread few drops of oil throughout. (optional)Let it cook on both sides, until you get brown spots here and there.
- Then transfer each into a serving dish. Repeat the same for other flattened dough.Done!!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category