Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:15 mins CookTime:5 mins Cuisine:Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
I used to trash the beetroot stalks & greens. I never used them until I started using them for making these healthy roti/chapati/tortillas.
At first, I was a bit hesitant in using these greens and pink stalks. But after reading many articles I found its amazing health merits.
I even incorporated these lovely greens & stalks in few of my own recipes, I hereby, am sharing one of the recipes I liked the most.
Table of Contents:
- Health Benefits of ‘Roti / Tortilla with Beetroot Greens & Stalks’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Indian Roti / Tortilla with Beetroot Greens & Stalks’:
- Prep Work:
- To Make the Dough:
- To Make the Roti with Beetroot Leaves & Stalks:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
What is Paratha:
Generally, paratha is an Indian flat bread made with whole wheat flour that has some vegetable stuffing in it. The stuffing & the dough are prepared separately.
But I always mix up the veggies and flour together and then make the dough together. Which makes my life easier and quicker. And so I called these as Roti rather than Paratha 🙂
Health Benefits of ‘Roti / Tortilla with Beetroot Greens & Stalks’:
Beetroot Stalks & Greens, have these health benefits, are low in fat, low in cholesterol, high in fibre, high in Vitamin B6. (info from internet).
To conclude, these roti / tortilla(s), provide the necessary carbs, on the other side useful for lowering the cholesterol & high in fibres which improve ones digestive system.
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned in the end.
My Main Course recipes collection⇒ Main Course
Lunch boxes I packed for my kids⇒ Kids Lunch Box
Curry recipes collection here⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
- Beetroot Pachadi / Chutney
- Beetroot Raita / Perugu Pachadi (South Indian recipe)
- Beetroot-Coconut Stir Fry / Beetroot-Kobbari Koora ,
- Pudina Raita / Mint-Yogurt Dip
- Carrot Raita / Carrot – Yogurt Dip
Follow me on⇒ Facebook / Pinterest / YouTube / Instagram
- Beetroot Stalk & Greens – 1 cup
- Whole Wheat Flour / Aatta – 2 cups
- Salt – as per taste
- Green Chillies – 6
- Turmeric Powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Curry Powder / Garam Masala Powder – 1 tablespoon
- Ginger – 1 inch piece
- Garlic – 1 clove (optional)
- Warm Water – ¾ to 1 cup (or) as needed
- Cooking Oil – ½ teaspoon per 1 roti (or) as needed
- Warm Water
- Curry Powder / Garam Masala Powder
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Indian Roti / Tortilla with Beetroot Greens & Stalks’:
To Make the Dough:
To Make the Roti with Beetroot Leaves & Stalks:
- I used my food processor for shredding the greens. You can use a mixer / mixie for the same.
- I used my food processor for making the chapati / tortilla dough, if not you can do the same using your hands.
- You can use any masala powder for flavouring, like rasam powder, sambar powder, amchur powder too.
- Storage: These paratha/tortilla can be made ahead and stored in freezer for up to couple of months.
- Just reheat them on the tawa/pan before serving.
- These roti / tortilla tasted very well, without any hint of beetroot greens & stalks we used. Except for the colour.
- We had them with Tomato Raita / Tomato-Yogurt Dip and salad on the side.
- We and our kids, relished these red roti(s) so much that we felt like wanting more than 2.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Roti / Tortilla with Beetroot (Chukandar) Greens & Stalks
- Wide mixing bowl (for hand mixing method)
- Roti Tawa / Stove top Pan Cake Griddle
- Food processor / Blender / Mixie.
- 1 cup Beetroot Stalk & Greens (chopped & pressed)
- 2 cups Whole Wheat Flour / Aatta
- as per taste Salt
- 6 count Green Chillies (small size)
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 tablespoon Curry Powder / Garam Masala Powder
- 1 inch Ginger
- 1 clove Garlic (optional)
- ¾ to 1 cup Warm Water (or as needed)
- as required Cooking Oil (½ teaspoon per one roti/tortilla)
- Firstly, cut & separate the beetroot bulbs from its stalks & greens.
- Wash them thoroughly under running water. Tear the greens and break the stalks into small pieces using your hands. (Or else) finely chop them using a knife.Add the green chillies, ginger pieces, cumin seeds, turmeric powder, salt to the same.
TO MAKE THE DOUGH:
- Grind them coarsely. If not a processor, use a mixie / blender.
- Now, change the S-shaped sharp blade to the S-shaped blunt blade used to make the dough. Add the Whole Wheat Flour, Curry Powder, Salt to the same.
- Knead it to smooth dough by adding warm water little by little.
TO MAKE THE ROTI / TROTILLA WITH BEETROOT LEAVES:
- Make small balls from whole of the dough, and roll each of the ball, across a flat platform using a rolling pin. In between use fresh plain wheat flour to spread throughput just to avoid sticking.
- Put a roti tawa/pan cake griddle on stove top under high flame. When its hot, gently transfer this flattened round roti onto it. Spread few drops of oil throughout and let it cook on both sides, until you get brown spots here and there. Repeat the same for other flattened dough balls. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later use, Pinterest Link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can find my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category