Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:5 mins CookTime:Given Below Cuisine: Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
This is the immediate recipe with beetrohttps://vegcookbook.net/2018/03/07/beetroot-coconut-stir-fry-beetroot-kobbari-koora/jump-to-print-recipeot, that comes into my mind.
Try this quick stir fry with just two main ingredients and very little spice addition. You can have this stir fry as it is or as a side for any rice,any bread,or it can be part of a salad bowl. This is a Vegan + Gluten free option of stir fry.
Health Benefits of ‘Beetroot Coconut Stir Fry’:
Beetroot is one such root vegetable which is naturally sweet, and has many health benefits. Beets are rich in a variety of essential vitamins and minerals, making them an excellent addition to your diet. Beets benefit your body in so many ways such as reducing inflammation, supporting your heart, and protecting your digestive, brain, and eye health (info from internet).
Coconut are an excellent source for Immunity. They are anti-viral,anti-fungal and anti-bacterial that is they kill all the harmful bacteria, viruses and parasites.So that they protect from numerous ailments.
To Conclude this curry is suitable for Vegan, Vegetarian, Plant Based, Gluten free, Kids friendly diets.
Beetroot stir fry as a side in the below platter⇒ Bhojanam/Thali/Platter # 4
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned in the end.
Other Curry recipes Collection⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Instant Pot recipes collection⇒ Electric Pressure Cooker /Instant Pot Recipes
Daily Meal Platters collection⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Meal Platter
- Beetroot Pachadi / Chutney
- Roti / Tortilla with Beetroot Greens & Stalk
- Kobbari Annam / Coconut Rice
- Roti / Tortilla with Beeroot Greens & Stalk
- Fresh Coconut Fudge / Burfi
- Fresh Coconut Chutney Powder (Oil Free)
- Beetroot – 2 (medium size)
- Grated Coconut (fresh/desiccated) – ½ cup
- Salt – 2 teaspoons / as per taste
- Red Chilli Powder/Pepper Powder – ¾ teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoon
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 1 tablespoon (chopped)
- Water – 1 cup for stove top / ½ cup for instant-pot
Ingredients for Tempering :
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds / Aavalu – ½ teaspoon
- Curry Leaves – 6 (optional)
- Urad dal / Split Black gram – ½ teaspoon (optional)
- Fresh / Desiccated Coconut
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Beetroot coconut Stir fry’:
PREP WORK (common for both methods):
STOVE TOP METHOD COOKING:
INSTANT POT / ELECTRIC PRESSURE COOKER METHOD COOKING:
- You can use desiccated coconut instead of fresh grated coconut.
- For Instant Pot method, if you are using, desiccated coconut, DO NOT add it along with beetroot pieces while pressure cooking. Just add the desiccated coconut along with the spices at the last.
- Instead of chopping the beetroots, you can even opt to grate them.
- I used my food processor for cutting the beets which took just 2-3 mins.
- To check if the beetroots are cooked or not, take a piece and press it between your fingers or cut it with the ladle.
- I used very little spice in this stir fry, because that’s the way it suits this vegetable.
- Adjust the salt and spice according to your taste.
- Using Instant pot / Electric Pressure, cuts the cooking time to half, so it was quick. And I didn’t keep an an eye in between until everything was done.
- Storage: This curry stays good upto 2 days at room temperature. And stays good for 4 days when storedin fridge in an air-tight container.
- The taste of this, beetroot coconut stir fry, is near to the sweeter side, because of the natural sweetness of the beetroot and coconut. And we even added very little spice .
- You can have this stir fry as it is or as a side for any rice, Indian chapathi,or it can be part of a salad bowl.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Beetroot- Coconut Stir Fry/Beetroot-Kobari Koora
- Frying pan (for stove-top method)
- Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker (for IP method)
- 2 medium size Beetroot
- ½ cup Grated Coconut (fresh/desiccated)
- 2 teaspoons Salt (or as per taste)
- ¾ teaspoon Red Chilli Powder/ Cayenne Powder
- ½ teaspoon Jeera / Ground Cumin Powder
- 3 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Coriander Leaves (chopped)
- 1 cup Water (for Stove Top Method)
Ingredients for Tempering:
- ½ teaspoon Jeera/Cumin Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ½ teaspoon Avalu / Mustard Seeds
- 6 Curry Leaves (optional)
- ½ teaspoon Urad Dal/Split Black Gram (optional)
Prep Work (common for both methods):
- Take the beetroots, wash them thoroughly.Peel the skin off and cut them into small pieces or grate them.
Stove-Top Method Cooking (time:15 mins)
- Put a frying pan on stove top under medium flame.Add the oil, once its heated put all the ‘Ingredients for Tempering’, saute until they turn golden brown colour.
- Then, add all the beetroot pieces, water and 1 teaspoon salt to the pan.Give everything a stir and close the pan with lid.
- Let the beetroot pieces soften, this might take 10 mins. Keep stirring in between.
- When the beetroot pieces have softened, add the grated coconut, red chilli powder, jeera/grounded cumin powder and remaining salt. Mix everything thoroughly, let it be on flame for 2-3 mins, until the water evaporates.
- Switch the flame off, transfer the curry to serving bowl and garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Done!!
Instant Pot Method Cooking (time:7 to 8 mins):
- Switch on the gadget ON, set the MODE to Sauté, set for 2 mins.
- Add the oil, once its heated put all the ‘Ingredients for Tempering’ into the pan and saute until they turn golden brown colour.
- Then, add all the beetroot pieces, grated coconut, 1 teaspoon salt and ½ cup of water. Mix everything gently, change the MODE to Pressure Cook / Manual, set the Pressure Level to HIGH, Time to 4 mins.
- Once done, open the lid with Natural Pressure Release (NPR) (or) with Quick Pressure Release (QPR) after 10 mins. Either is fine. Set the Mode to sauté, TIME for 2 mins. Add red chilli powder, jeera / ground cumin powder, rest of the salt and few chopped coriander leaves to the pot.
- Put the Mode to Saute, for 1-2 mins, add red chilli powder, jeera / cumin powder and few chopped coriander leaves to the pot.Mix up everything thoroughly, and let the water (if any) evaporate.
- Sprinkle more of chopped fresh coriander leaves. Mix and serve. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later use, Pinterest Link :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can find my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category