Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:5 mins CookTime: Given Below Cuisine: Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
When I think about making a curry with Beetroot, then this is the immediate recipe with beetroot, that comes into my mind. This is a very simple, low spice level curry recipe originated from South Indian cuisine.
Try this quick stir fry with just two main ingredients and very little spice addition. You can have this stir fry as it is or as a side for any rice, any bread, or it can be part of a salad bowl. This, Beetroot Coconut Curry / Chukandar Sabzi, is a Vegan + Gluten free option of stir fry.
Table of Contents:
- Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Beetroot Coconut Simple Stir Fry Recipe’:
- Health Benefits of ‘Beetroot Coconut Stir Fry Curry / Chukandar Sabzi’:
- How to serve, ‘South Indian style Beetroot Coconut Stir Fry Curry’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Beetroot Coconut Stir fry (Stove Top, Instant Pot methods)’:
- Prep Work (common for both methods):
- Stove Top Beetroot Coconut Curry:
- Instant Pot Beetroot Coconut Curry:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Beetroot Coconut Simple Stir Fry Recipe’:
Using grated beetroot: Instead of chopping the beetroots, you can even opt to grate them.
Alteration for fresh coconut: You can use desiccated coconut instead of fresh grated coconut. Frozen coconut can also be used. But, fresh grated coconut gives the right taste.
Spice level: I used very little spice in this stir fry, because that’s the way it suits this vegetable. And the authentic recipe also used very little spice.
Other spices to add: You might add ½ teaspoon of amchur powder and 1 teaspoon of garam masala powder.
Adding beans to the same recipe: This would add more protein to the dish. You might add a cup of any of these>> boiled chickpeas, black eyed peas, red kidney beans, black beans.
Using pre-boiled beetroot: When using these, you need not steam the beetroot at all. Just add the chopped beetroot into the tempered ingredients, and spice it up.
Health Benefits of ‘Beetroot Coconut Stir Fry Curry / Chukandar Sabzi’:
Beetroot is one such root vegetable which is naturally sweet, and has many health benefits. Beets are rich in a variety of essential vitamins and minerals, making them an excellent addition to your diet. They have benefits as reducing inflammation, supporting heart, and protecting digestive, brain, and eye health .
Coconut are an excellent source for Immunity. They are anti-viral, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial that is they kill all the harmful bacteria, viruses and parasites. So that they protect from numerous ailments.
To Conclude this curry is suitable for Vegan, Vegetarian, Plant Based, Gluten free, Kids friendly diets.
How to serve, ‘South Indian style Beetroot Coconut Stir Fry Curry’:
You can have this stir fry as it is or as a side for any rice, any bread, or it can be part of a salad bowl.
I would prefer to eat this stir fry curry just as a salad, along with some fresh greens.
Beetroot stir fry as a side in the below platter⇒ Bhojanam/Thali/Platter # 4
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned in the end.
Curry recipes Collection⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Instant Pot recipes collection⇒ Electric Pressure Cooker /Instant Pot Recipes
Daily Meal Platters collection⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Meal Platter
- Beetroot Pachadi / Chutney
- Roti / Tortilla with Beetroot Greens & Stalk
- Kobbari Annam / Coconut Rice
- Roti / Tortilla with Beeroot Greens & Stalk
- Fresh Coconut Fudge / Burfi
- Fresh Coconut Chutney Powder (Oil Free)
- Beetroot – 2 (medium size)
- Grated Coconut (fresh/desiccated) – ½ cup
- Salt – 2 teaspoons / as per taste
- Red Chilli Powder/Pepper Powder – ¾ teaspoon
- Jeera / Cumin Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoon
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – 1 tablespoon (chopped)
- Water – 1 cup for stove top / ½ cup for instant-pot
Ingredients for Tempering :
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds / Aavalu – ½ teaspoon
- Curry Leaves – 6 (optional)
- Urad dal / Split Black gram – ½ teaspoon (optional)
- Fresh / Desiccated Coconut
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Beetroot Coconut Stir fry (Stove Top, Instant Pot methods)’:
Prep Work (common for both methods):
Stove Top Beetroot Coconut Curry:
Instant Pot Beetroot Coconut Curry:
- For Instant Pot method, if you are using, desiccated coconut, DO NOT add it along with beetroot pieces while pressure cooking. Just add the desiccated coconut along with the spices at the last.
- I used my food processor for cutting the beets which took just 2-3 mins.
- To check if the beetroots are cooked or not, take a piece and press it between your fingers or cut it with the ladle.
- Adjust the salt and spice according to your taste.
- Using Instant pot / Electric Pressure, cuts the cooking time to half, so it was quick. And I didn’t keep an an eye in between until everything was done.
- Storage: This curry stays good up to 2 days at room temperature.
- And stays good for 4 days when stored in fridge in an air-tight container.
- The taste of this, Beetroot Coconut stir fry, is near to the sweeter side, because of the natural sweetness of the beetroot and coconut. And we even added very little spice .
- You can have this stir fry as it is or as a side for any rice, Indian chapati, or it can be part of a salad bowl.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Beetroot Coconut Stir Fry / Beetroot Kobari Koora
- Frying pan (for stove-top method)
- Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker (for IP method)
- 2 medium size Beetroot
- ½ cup Grated Coconut (fresh/desiccated)
- 2 teaspoons Salt (or as per taste)
- ¾ teaspoon Red Chilli Powder/ Cayenne Powder
- ½ teaspoon Jeera / Ground Cumin Powder
- 3 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Coriander Leaves (chopped)
- 1 cup Water (for Stove Top Method)
Ingredients for Tempering:
- ½ teaspoon Jeera/Cumin Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ½ teaspoon Avalu / Mustard Seeds
- 6 Curry Leaves (optional)
- ½ teaspoon Urad Dal/Split Black Gram (optional)
Prep Work (common for both methods):
- Take the beetroots, wash them thoroughly.Peel the skin off and cut them into small pieces or grate them.
Stove-Top Method Cooking (time:15 mins)
- Put a frying pan on stove top under medium flame.Add the oil, once its heated put all the ‘Ingredients for Tempering’, saute until they turn golden brown colour.
- Then, add all the beetroot pieces, water and 1 teaspoon salt to the pan.Give everything a stir and close the pan with lid.
- Let the beetroot pieces soften, this might take 10 mins. Keep stirring in between.
- When the beetroot pieces have softened, add the grated coconut, red chilli powder, jeera/grounded cumin powder and remaining salt. Mix everything thoroughly, let it be on flame for 2-3 mins, until the water evaporates.
- Switch the flame off, transfer the curry to serving bowl and garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Done!!
Instant Pot Method Cooking (time:8 to 10 mins):
- Switch on the gadget ON, set the MODE to Sauté, set for 4 mins.
- Add the oil, once its heated put all the ‘Ingredients for Tempering’ into the pan and saute until they turn golden brown colour.
- Then, add all the beetroot pieces, grated coconut, 1 teaspoon salt and ½ cup of water. Mix everything gently, change the MODE to Pressure Cook / Manual, set the Pressure Level to HIGH, Time to 4 mins.
- Once done, open the lid with Natural Pressure Release (NPR) (or) with Quick Pressure Release (QPR) after 10 mins. Either is fine. Set the Mode to sauté, TIME for 2 mins. Add red chilli powder, jeera / ground cumin powder, rest of the salt and few chopped coriander leaves to the pot.
- Put the Mode to Saute, for 1-2 mins, add red chilli powder, jeera / cumin powder and few chopped coriander leaves to the pot.Mix up everything thoroughly, and let the water (if any) evaporate.
- Sprinkle more of chopped fresh coriander leaves. Mix and serve. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later use, Pinterest Link :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can find my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category