Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:5 mins CookTime:15 mins Cuisine: Indian
Beetroot is one such root vegetable which is naturally sweet, and has many health benefits. Beets are rich in a variety of essential vitamins and minerals, making them an excellent addition to your diet. Beets benefit your body in so many ways such as reducing inflammation, supporting your heart, and protecting your digestive, brain, and eye health (info from internet).
This is the immediate recipe with beetroot, that comes into my mind. Try this quick stir fry with just two main ingredients and very little spice addition. You can have this stir fry as it is or as a side for any rice,any bread,or it can be part of a salad bowl. This is a Vegan + Gluten free option of stir fry.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned in the end.
My Curry Collection here⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Daily Meal Platters collection⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Meal Platter
Beetroot stir fry as a side in the Meal Platter shown below⇒ Bhojanam/Thali/Platter # 4
- Kobbari Annam / Coconut Rice
- Roti / Tortilla with Beeroot Greens & Stalk
- Fresh Coconut Fudge / Burfi
- Fresh Coconut Chutney Powder (Oil Free)
- Beetroot – 2 (medium size)
- Grated Coconut (fresh/desiccated) – ½ cup
- Salt – 2½ teaspoons
- Red Chilli Powder/Pepper Powder – ¾ teaspoon
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoon
- Water – 2 cups
Ingredients for Tempering :
- Urad dal / Minapappu / Split Black gram – ½ teaspoon (optional)
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds / Aavalu – ½ teaspoon
- Fresh / Desiccated Coconut
Step wise pics Procedure:
- Firstly, take the beetroots,wash them thoroughly with water.
- Peel the skin off and cut them into small pieces or grate them. See pic below.
- Put a frying pan on stovetop under medium flame.
- Add the oil, once its heated put all the ‘Ingredients for Tempering’ into the pan and saute until they turn golden brown colour.
- Then, add all the beetroot pieces, water and 2 teaspoon salt to the pan.
- Give everything a stir and close the pan with lid.
- Let the beetroot pieces soften, this might take 10 mins.Keep stirring in between.
- See pics below of Stage-1 and Stage-2 of stirring and softening of beetroot pieces.
- Check if the beetroot pieces have softened enough.
- Now, add the grated coconut , red chilli powder and remaining salt.
- Saute everything thoroughly and let it be for 2-3 mins on flame.
- Then switch the flame off , transfer it to serving bowl and garnish with fresh coriander leaves. Done!!
- You can even use desiccated coconut instead of fresh coconut.
- Instead of chopping the beetroots , you can even opt to grate them.
- I used my food processor for cutting the beets which took just 2-3 mins.
- To check if the beetroots are cooked or not, take a piece and press it between your fingers or cut it with the ladle.
- I used very little spice in this stir fry, because that’s the way it suits this vegetable.
- Adjust the salt and spice according to your taste.
- The taste of this, beetroot coconut stir fry is near to the sweeter side, because of the natural sweetness of the beetroot and coconut. And we even added very little spice .
- You can have this stir fry as it is or as a side for any rice,any bread,or it can be part of a salad bowl.
You can Pin it here for later use :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can find my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category