Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:2 mins MakeTime:5 mins Cuisine:Indian
Recently, I started using the curly ‘Kale’ more frequently than before, even in my daily recipes. Starting with this simple & easy recipe made within minutes but can be used in multiple ways. This pesto sauce is liked by my kids, in whatever dish I have used. And it makes me happy, that this healthy bundle is contentedly devoured by them. Now, lets begin with how this sauce is used, later its procedure & what benefits its provides us.
The main thing here is, I wanted to make it completely dairy free to make it low in calories, so I have avoided adding cheese to the sauce. Adding Parmesan cheese is the actual norm for making any pesto. But that didn’t make any difference in taste. As usual, it goes to my collection of Weight Loss Food / Low Carb Recipes
How to use / serve ‘Kale & Walnut Vegan Pesto Sauce’:
You can use it as a spread for crackers, rolls, tortilla wraps, biscuits, bagels, baguettes.
It works good as a salad dressing as well. Just remember to make the sauce in a pouring consistency.
Lastly, you could try as a dip for tortilla chips, crisps, potato chips.
As shown in the pics below, I have used it as a sauce for spaghetti. (Shall share the recipe soon).
Possible Alterations in, ‘Kale & Walnut Pesto Sauce (Dairy Free)’:
To roast the walnuts: You could dry roast the walnuts, in a frying pan on stove top under medium flame. Once cooled add them to the food processor.
Instead of walnuts, you could use any one of these>>> pine nuts, almonds, pecan nuts.
Whole Foods Plant Based Options / To avoid the OIL, you could use more of nutritional yeast which works great to give a creamy texture.
In case you wish to add cheese, go for Parmesan cheese (¼ cup) while processing. But Parmesan cheese is not Vegan nor Vegetarian too.
Health Benefits of ‘Kale and Walnut Dairy Free Pesto Sauce’:
Kale is mostly (80%) filled with water. It is rich in protein, iron, folate & Omega-3 fatty Acid. It provides us all these Vitamins>>> Vitamin A (good for eye), Vitamin K (good for bone building), Vitamin B (good for brain development), Vitamin C (boosts up immunity).
Walnuts are rich in Anti-oxidants and Omega-3 fatty acids. Which in turn are good for healthy heart. (info from internet)
To conclude, I would say, this sauce is a super healthy one being made of the super food Kale & Walnuts!
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Instant Pot recipes collection here⇒ Electric Pressure Cooker / Instant Pot Recipes
Low Calorie recipes collection⇒ Weight Loss Food / Low Carb Recipes
- Spaghetti with Homemade Pesto Sauce (Instant Pot, Stove Top methods)
- Basil Pesto Peas Spaghetti
- Avocado & Spinach Spread (Oil Free)
- Spinach & Corn Tacos with Guacamole
- Avocado Roti / Tortilla (Whole Wheat)
- Kale Leaves – 3 cups (heaped & packed)
- Walnuts – ¾ cup
- Olive Oil – ½ cup
- Garlic – 3 cloves / ½ teaspoon powder
- Salt – 1 teaspoon / as per taste
- Fresh Green Chillies / Jalapeno – 2
- Freshly crushed Whole Black pepper – ½ teaspoon
- Lemon Juice – 2 tablespoons
- Nutritional Yeast – 2 tablespoons (optional)
- Garlic Powder
- Olive Oil
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Kale & Walnut Pesto Sauce (Dairy Free)’:
- Pluck the leaves of the kale and discard the stem. Thoroughly, wash the leaves under running water.
- Optional: Take the walnuts into a small frying pan, Put it on stove top under low flame, dry roast them very lightly (only for 2 -3 mins). You might skip this, and proceed to the next step.
- There are many different variety of Kale. Whichever kale you use, take just the leaves and eliminate the stem.
- Adjust the salt & spice as per your taste.
- Transfer the pesto sauce into an air tight container, and store it in fridge. Stays good for 2 days only.
- Alternatively, put the pesto sauce into ice cube trays, put it in the freezer for 6 hrs. Later, transfer the ice cubes into zip lock bags. Put the bags back into freezer. Use them directly whenever needed.
- This, Kale & Walnut Pesto Sauce (Dairy Free), is nutty in texture and buttery in taste.
- As shown in the pics below, I have used it as a sauce for spaghetti. (here is the link for full recipe>> Spaghetti with Homemade Pesto Sauce (Instant Pot, Stove Top methods) Scroll to the top to see ‘How to server / use this ‘Kale and Walnut Pesto Sauce (Dairy free)’.
Kale & Walnut Pesto Sauce (Dairy Free, Plant Based)
- Small Frying pan (for toasting the nuts)
- Food processor / Blender / Mixie.
- 3 cups Kale Leaves (heaped & packed)
- ¾ cup Walnuts
- ½ cup Olive Oil
- 3 pods Garlic Cloves (or ½ teaspoon powder)
- 1 teaspoon Salt (or as per taste)
- 2 count Fresh Green Chillies / Jalapeno (or as per taste)
- ½ teaspoon Freshly crushed Whole Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- 2 tablespoons Nutritional Yeast (optional)
- Pluck the leaves of the kale and discard the stem. Thoroughly, wash the leaves under running water.Optional: Take the walnuts into a small frying pan, Put it on stove top under low flame, dry roast them very lightly (only for 2 -3 mins). You might skip this, and proceed to the next step.
MAKING THE PESTO SAUCE:
- Into a food processor / blender / mixie, Take all these ingredients>>> Walnuts, Kale leaves, salt, garlic pods / powder, lemon juice, crushed whole black pepper, fresh green chillies / jalapenos and nutritional yeast (optional).
- Using the 'S' blade, blend everything, into smooth paste, by pouring the Olive Oil little by little into the processor. Scrape the sides of the processor in between.
- You can use it right away or transfer into an air tight container. Done!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category