Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:2 min CookTime:10 min Cuisine:Indian
Toor Dal/Kandi Pappu/Yellow Lentils have many health benefits like improves digestion, good source of protein,iron,fiber, controls cholesterol,has folic acid. Toor dal is one of the most common pulses in an Indian kitchen.
This recipe of Plain Toor dal is a very common one for any Indian Mum. It is purely Vegan+Glutenfree recipe. The same recipe can be used with Split Yellow Mung Lentils, Red Lentils and any Yellow Lentils.
One best combination which is most common in Telugu Cuisine is [Muddha Pappu + MukkalaPulusu] as shown in the last pic below. Recipe for Mukkala Pulusu/ Dhappalam / Indian Vegetable Soup
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Dal / Pappu / Lentil stew recipes collection here⇒ Dal / Pappu / Lentil Stew
My Daily thali / platters⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Meal Platter
- Mamidikaya-Palakoora Pappu / RawMango-Spinach Dal / Lentil Stew
- Pappu Pulusu / Indian Spicy Lentil Soup
- Toor dal/Kandi Pappu/Yellow Split Lentils – 1 cup (medium size)
- Turmeric powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Salt – 1½ teaspoons
- Water – for boiling and cooking
- Turmeric powder
- Firstly, take the lentils/ kandipappu /toordal into the pressure cooker and wash them twice thoroughly.
- Pour water upto the level where the lentils/dal are soaked.
- Close the lid, put the cooker on the stove top in high flame and cook until you get 3-4 whistles.
- After the pressure is released, open the lid and add the salt , turmeric powder and red chilli powder into the same.
- Add ¼ cup of water and switch the flame on under medium.
- Stir everything thoroughly and let it cook for upto 3-5 mins or until it thickens.
- Switch the flame off and take it into a serving dish. Done!!
- This is a No Tempering recipe but you can do the tempering if you prefer.
- I have a small pressure cooker suitable for making the stew/dal, if not you transfer the cooked dal/lentils into a suitable vessel and continue with the recipe.
- Adjust the salt as per your taste
- The storage time of this pappu/lentilstew at room temperature is just 1 day but when refrigerated stays good upto 2-3 days.
- The taste of this pappu/keera-toor dal/yellow lentil stew is plain and texture is soft.
- It is suitable as a side with any rice, quinoa.
- One combination which is most common is [Muddha Pappu + MukkalaPulusu] as shown below.
- We had it as part of our bhojanam/meal as as shown below.
You can Pinit here for later use, Pinterest Link :
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category