Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:2-3 hrs CookTime:20 mins Cuisine:Indian
Cabbage Masoor Dal Pakoda, is my next try with protein rich, lentil based starter / appetiser / snack showing both STOVE-TOP & AIR-FRYER methods. Having 3 young kids, I usually prefer finger foods especially for packed lunches.
It makes my life easy, keeping in mind that I do all the prep work previous night and just fry them in the morning before packing. And I can be assured, my kids would DEFINITELY empty the lunch box! 🙂
Table of Contents:
- Protein Rich Fritters from my blog:
- Health Benefits of ‘Cabbage Masoor Dal Pakoda / Cabbage and Red Lentil Fritters’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Full You Tube Video from my own channel:
- Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Cabbage & Masoor Dal Pakoda / Cabbage and Red Lentil Fritters’:
- Prep Work:
- Stove Top Method ‘Cabbage Masoor Dal Pakoda’:
- Air Fryer Method ‘Cabbage Masoor Dal Pakoda’:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
Protein Rich Fritters from my blog:
My previous posts like chickpea fritters / chana pakoda, mung dal nuggets / vada where I gave both stove-top & air-fryer methods. Here, I preferred adding raw cabbage and used different lentil variety.
Just give a try, am sure your family will ask for more!!
- Bell Pepper & Lentil Fritters / Capsicum Punugulu
- Chickpea Fritters / Chana Pakoda (Air Fryer, Stove top)
- Mung Dal Nuggets / Pesarapappu Vada (Air-Fryer, Deep-Fry)
- Black-eyed beans Nuggets / Alasanda Vada (Air-Fryer, Stove-top)
- Red Kidney Beans Nuggets / Rajma Masala Vada / Fritters
- Masala Vada / Lentil Masala Nuggets (Stove Top, Air Fryer, Oven Baked)
Health Benefits of ‘Cabbage Masoor Dal Pakoda / Cabbage and Red Lentil Fritters’:
Cabbage is available in many varieties, like spring green, savoy, white, purple and red. Although cabbage can be cooked, fermented, steamed, but raw cabbage gives the best nutritional benefits. These, are a rich source of Vitamin-C, Vitamin-K, anti-oxidants. Good for anti-inflammation, controls bad cholesterol, diabetes.
Red Lentils, are the good source of plant based protein, folic acid, iron, Vitamin B.
To conclude, this recipe is suitable for Vegan, Plant Based, Gluten free, diets. And is rich in protein, iron, edible fibre, folic acid. It is good to control bad cholesterol (only if you use air fryer method) as it uses very little oil.
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Appetiser recipes collection⇒ Starters / Snacks
Air-fryer recipes collection⇒ Air – Fryer Recipes
Chutney recipes collection⇒ Chutney / Pachchadi / Dip
Kids Lunch Boxes⇒ Kids Lunch Box Ideas & Recipes
- Tri-Dal Uthappam / Tri-Lentil Savoury Pancakes (No Grain) (Keto)
- Yellow Moong Dal Idli / Pesarapappu Idli
- Minapa Sunnundalu / Urad Dal Laddoo
Full You Tube Video from my own channel:
- Masoor Dal / Yerra Kandi Pappu / Split Red Lentils – 1 cup
- White Cabbage / Bandh Gobi (finely chopped) – ½ cup
- Fresh Coriander Leaves – handful (finely chopped)
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Whole Cumin / Jeera – 1 tablespoon
- Ginger / Allam – 1 inch piece (finely chopped)
- Onion / Spring Onion – ¼ cup (finely chopped)
- Turmeric Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Rice Flour / Biyyappindi – 2 tablespoons
- Whole Black Pepper / Miriyalu (crushed) – 1 tablespoon
- Water – 3 cups (for soaking)
- Garlic Pods – 3 (finely chopped) (optional)
- Cooking Oil – 2 cups (for deep fry)
- ” ” – 1 tablespoon (for air-frying)
- Rice Flour / Biyyappindi
- Black Pepper / Miriyalu (crushed)
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Cabbage & Masoor Dal Pakoda / Cabbage and Red Lentil Fritters’:
Stove Top Method ‘Cabbage Masoor Dal Pakoda’:
Air Fryer Method ‘Cabbage Masoor Dal Pakoda’:
- Don’t worry if you have soaked the dal / lentils for more time than mentioned.
- Do not throw away the soaked water. Use them while kneading chapati dough.
- Adjust the salt and spice as per your taste.
- The oil for deep frying must be perfectly hot, to test this just drop a small blob of batter into the oil and check .
- For air-fryer method, you can make balls or patties, both work perfectly well.
- If the timings I mentioned for air-fryer method, is not enough just increase until you get the desired crispiness.
- Storage: You can store the batter in the refrigerator/freezer (for up to 7-10 days) and fry them when needed.
- Making the pakoda / fritters, and storing them can also be done, but with do note that they turn soft very quickly.
- First thing to say, is the colour of the pakoda / fritters which is VERY attractive, that makes anybody to grab one!
- Next mention, is the crunchiness of raw cabbage that tastes great and unique.
- Just like any other pakoda / fritters, these, Cabbage & Masoor Dal / Red Lentil Pakoda, are crispy on the outside and soft from inside.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Recipe Card & Print:
Cabbage Masoor Dal Pakoda / Cabbage and Red Lentil Fritters
- Blender/Grinder/Mixie for both methods
- Deep Frying Pan for stove-top method
- Air-Fryer for air-fryer method
- 1 cup Split Red Lentils / Masoor Dal / Yerra Kandi Pappu
- ½ cup White Cabbage / Bandh Gobi (finely chopped)
- 1 handful Fresh Coriander Leaves (finely chopped)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 tablespoon Whole Cumin / Jeera
- 1 inch piece Ginger / Allam (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup Onion / Spring Onion (finely chopped)
- ¼ cup Onion / Spring Onion (finely chopped)
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 2 tablespoons Rice Flour / Biyyappindi
- 1 tablespoon Whole Black Pepper / Miriyalu (crushed)
- 3 cups Water (for soaking)
- 3 no. Garlic Pods (finely chopped) (optional)
- 2 cups Cooking Oil (for deep fry)
- 1 tablespoon Oil spray (for air-frying)
PREP WORK (common for both methods):
- Wash the Masoor Dal / Red Lentils for 3-4 times. Soak them in water for 2 to 3 hrs.
- Strain the water, take the dal / lentils into a blending jar / grinder / mixie and make a smooth paste. Add 2 tablespoons of water ONLY if required.
- In a mixing bowl, add the all the ingredients except oil and water.
- Mix everything gently and make the batter.
STOVE TOP METHOD CABBAGE MASOOR DAL PAKODA:
- Put a frying pan, add enough of cooking oil (for deep frying), on the stove top under high flame.
- When the oil is hot enough, make small balls with the batter and gently drop them into oil.
- Fry them on one side for 2-3 mins and then flip them back to fry, until they turn golden brown.Using a ladle, Gently, take them onto a plate covered with kitchen towel. Done!!
AIR FRYER METHOD CABBAGE RED LENTIL FRITTERS:
- Brush the mesh of air-fryer with oil / use an oil-spray throughout. Place the small blobs / patties of the batter over it.
- Cook for 7-8 mins on one side, at 200ºC / 390ºF .Pause it, gently flip to the other side and fry for 4-5 mins more, at 200ºC. Remove and Serve. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category