Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:2 mins CookTime:15 mins Cuisine:Indian
Minapa Sunnundalu / Urad dal laddoo recipe I am sharing below is one such instant Indian laddoo / sweet balls, that can be made with very few ingredients, effort and even lasts upto a 3-4 months when made & stored perfectly.
Minapa Gundlu / Urad Gota / Black Lentils are the richest sources of protein, iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, folic acid. Very high in fiber. Its also full of fat and carbohydrates. It is a complete healthy, nutritious package of good food for people of any age. (info from internet)
I can never forget those days when Amma (My mom) used to make these for us 4 (me & my siblings) as a special diet food when we were young. Even I make these, Minapa Sunnundalu / Urad dal laddoo frequently for my kids.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips which I mentioned at the end.
My Dessert recipes collection here⇒ Desserts / Mithayi
- Atukulu / Poha Laddoo / Energy Balls with Flattened Rice Flakes
- Sunflower Seeds Laddu / Energy Balls
- Oats-Hemp Seeds Laddoo / Energy Balls
- Minapa Gundlu / Urad Gota / Dal / Skinless Whole Black lentils – 1 cup
- Sugar / Grated Jaggery – ¾ cup
- Homemade Ghee / Melted Butter – ¼ cup
- Whole Green Cardamom / Elaichi – 3
- Homemade Ghee / Melted Butter
- Take a heavy bottomed pan/vessel, put it in stove top under low flame.
- Add the Minapa Gundlu / Urad Dal / Skinless Whole Black lentils into the pan. Minapa Gundlu / Urad Gota / Lentils taken into frying pan
- Dry roast by stirring continuously, until you get a pleasant aroma and the dal / lentils change the colour into light brown. Minapa Gundlu / Urad Gota / Lentils dry roasted until you get a pleasant aroma
- Switch off the flame and let them cool completely.
- In a blender/mixer, finely powder the sugar & cardamom pods together and transfer into a wide mixing bowl.
- Now, take the roasted minapa gundlu / urad dal into the blender, finely powder and transfer it to the same mixing bowl. Powdered minapa gundlu/dal, sugar and cardamom / elaichi taken into wide mixing bowl
- Using a dry spoon combine all the dry items in the mixing bowl.
- Warm the ghee/butter, and start pouring the warm ghee into the mixing bowl slowly with a tablespoon.
- Combine the mix thoroughly with the ghee, using your hands and shape the laddoos/balls as you pour the ghee/butter for enough consistency of getting a ball.Rolled up laddoos using homemade ghee / melted butter for binding
- Arrange the shaped laddoos / balls in a wide plate / sheet for them to dry. Done!!
- Urad Gota / Whole Black lentils can also be used instead of Urad Dal / Split Lentils.
- Vegans, can use coconut oil in the place of ghee / butter.
- Keep stirring continuously while roasting, so that you dont burn the dal / lentils.
- Be generous while using the ghee/butter.
- You can use jaggery/gud instead of sugar. I have used unrefined cane sugar.
- Store them in an air-tight container for longer shelf life.
- These stay good upto a 2-3 months at room temperature.
- Being nut-free & soft these, Minapa Sunnundalu / Urad dal laddoo can be served even to old-aged people, who do not have proper teeth.
- My kids enjoy these laddoos even in their lunch box, when I pack them.
You can Pinit here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category