Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:2 mins CookTime:15 mins Cuisine:Indian
Minapa Sunnundalu / Urad dal laddoo recipe I am sharing below is one such instant Indian laddoo / sweet balls, that can be made with very few ingredients, effort and even lasts upto a 3-4 months when made & stored perfectly.
I can never forget those days when Amma (My mom) used to make these for us 4 (me & my siblings) as a special diet food when we were young. Even I make these, Minapa Sunnundalu / Urad dal laddoo frequently for my kids.
HEALTH BENEFITS OF URAD DAL
Minapa Gundlu / Urad Gota / Black Lentils are the richest sources of protein, iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, folic acid. Very high in fiber. Its also full of fat and carbohydrates. It is a complete healthy, nutritious package of good food for people of any age. (info from internet)
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
My Dessert recipes collection here⇒ Desserts / Mithayi
Laddoo recipes collection⇒ Laddoo Recipes / Indian Energy Balls
Traditional festive recipes collection⇒ Traditional Indian Recipes for Festivals / Panduga Nayivedyalu
- Atukulu / Poha Laddoo / Energy Balls with Flattened Rice Flakes
- Sunflower Seeds Laddu / Energy Balls
- Oats-Hemp Seeds Laddoo / Energy Balls
- Minapa Gundlu / Urad Gota / Dal / Skinless Whole Black lentils – 1 cup
- Sugar / Grated Jaggery – ¾ cup
- Homemade Ghee / Melted Butter – ¼ cup
- Whole Green Cardamom / Elaichi – 3
- Homemade Ghee / Melted Butter
Step wise pics Procedure:
- Take a heavy bottomed pan/vessel, put it in stove top under low flame.
- Add the Minapa Gundlu / Urad Dal / Skinless Whole Black lentils into the pan.
- Dry roast by stirring continuously, until you get a pleasant aroma and the dal / lentils change the colour into light brown.
- Switch off the flame and let them cool completely.
- In a blender/mixer, finely powder the sugar & cardamom pods together and transfer into a wide mixing bowl.
- Now, take the roasted minapa gundlu / urad dal into the blender, finely powder and transfer it to the same mixing bowl.
- Using a dry spoon combine all the dry items in the mixing bowl.
- Warm the ghee/butter, and start pouring the warm ghee into the mixing bowl slowly with a tablespoon.
- Combine the mix thoroughly with the ghee, using your hands and shape the laddoos/balls as you pour the ghee/butter for enough consistency of getting a ball.
- Arrange the shaped laddoos / balls in a wide plate / sheet for them to dry. Done!!
- Urad Gota / Whole Black lentils can also be used instead of Urad Dal / Split Lentils.
- Vegans, can use coconut oil in the place of ghee / butter.
- Keep stirring continuously while roasting, so that you dont burn the dal / lentils.
- Be generous while using the ghee/butter.
- You can use jaggery/gud instead of sugar. I have used unrefined cane sugar.
- Store them in an air-tight container for longer shelf life.
- These stay good upto a 2-3 months at room temperature.
- Being nut-free & soft these, Minapa Sunnundalu / Urad dal laddoo can be served even to old-aged people, who do not have proper teeth.
- My kids enjoy these laddoos even in their lunch box, when I pack them.
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category