Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:5 mins CookTime:20 mins Cuisine: Indian
Recipe Card ⇓ Shop ⇓
Minapa Sunnundalu / Urad dal ladoo recipe I am sharing below is one such instant Indian ladoo / sweet balls, that can be made with very few ingredients, effort and even lasts up to a 3 to 4 months when made & stored perfectly.
I can never forget those days when Amma (My mom) used to make these for us 4 (me & my siblings) as a special diet food when we were young. Even I make these, Minapa Sunnundalu / Urad dal ladoo frequently for my kids.
Table of Contents:
- Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Minapa Sunnundalu / Urad Dal Ladoo’:
- Health Benefits of ‘Minapa Sunnundalu / Whole Urad Dal Ladoo’:
- Other recipes from my blog:
- Step wise Pics Procedure for ‘Minapa Sunnundalu / Urad Dal Ladoo’:
- Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
- Recipe Card & Print:
Possible Alterations for the recipe, ‘Minapa Sunnundalu / Urad Dal Ladoo’:
To use Split lentils: Instead of using Minapa Gundlu / Urad Gota / Skinless Whole Black lentils, you can even use Minapa Pappu / Split Urad Dal / Skinless Split Black Lentils.
Vegan Options: Vegans can use coconut oil in the place of ghee / butter.
Sugar alterations: I have used ONLY unrefined cane sugar. You might use finely grated jaggery of same quantity too. There is no need to melt the jaggery. Just adding warm ghee and rubbing with bare hands does the trick.
Using date syrup: Yes, this works great too. But be careful that the content is not too much of liquid, that its difficult to roll into balls.
Storing the dry mix: Even before adding the ghee / butter, just mix the dry ingredients well. Transfer into an air tight dry container, store it a cool dry place. This mix stays good up to a year as well. Just add the ghee / butter roll into balls and serve when needed.
Health Benefits of ‘Minapa Sunnundalu / Whole Urad Dal Ladoo’:
Minapa Gundlu / Urad Gota / Skinless Black Lentils: are the richest sources of protein, iron, calcium, magnesium, potassium, folic acid. Very high in fibre. Its also full of fat and carbohydrates. It is a complete healthy, nutritious package of good food for people of any age.
Jaggery: is a great source of iron.
To Conclude, this recipe is one of the greatest sources of iron, protein and fibre. It comes under Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Kids Friendly, Weight Gain diets.
Other recipes from my blog:
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Dessert recipes collection here⇒ Desserts / Mithayi
Ladoo recipes collection⇒ Ladoo Recipes / Indian Energy Balls
Indian Festive recipes collection⇒ Traditional Indian Recipes for Festivals / Panduga Nayivedyalu
Related Posts with ‘URAD DAL’:
- Yellow Moong Dal Idli / Pesarapappu Idli
- Whole Ragi Idli / Finger Millets Idli
- Andhra Kandi Podi / Lentil Spice Powder
- Tri Dal Uthappam / Tri Lentil Savoury Pancakes (No Grain)
- Saggubiyyam Dosa / Sabudana (Sago) Dosa
- Minapa Gundlu / Urad Gota / Dal / Skinless Black lentils – 1 cup
- Sugar / Grated Jaggery – ¾ cup
- Homemade Ghee / Melted Butter – ¼ cup
- Whole Green Cardamom / Elaichi – 3
- Homemade Ghee / Melted Butter
Step wise Pics Procedure for ‘Minapa Sunnundalu / Urad Dal Ladoo’:
- Vegans, can use coconut oil in the place of ghee / butter.
- Keep stirring continuously while roasting, so that you don’t burn the dal / lentils.
- Be generous while using the ghee/butter.
- You can use jaggery / gud instead of sugar. I have used unrefined cane sugar.
- Storage: Store them in an air-tight container for longer shelf life.
- These stay good up to a 2-3 months at room temperature.
- Being nut-free & soft these, Minapa Sunnundalu / Urad dal laddoo can be served even to old-aged people, who do not have proper teeth.
- My kids enjoy these ladoos even in their lunch box, when I pack them. Here is my kids lunch box collection⇒ Kids Lunch Box Collection with recipes and ideas
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.Scoville Neverstick 2 Piece Frying Pan Set (24cm & 28cm)
Recipe Card & Print:
Minapa Sunnundalu / Urad Dal Ladoo
- Wide Mixing Bowl
- Frying pan (for stove-top method)
- Spice Blender / Grinder / Mixie.
- 1 cup Minapa Gundlu / Urad Gota / Dal / Skinless Whole Black lentils
- ¾ cup Sugar / Grated Jaggery
- ¼ cup Homemade Ghee / Melted Butter
- 3 count Whole Green Cardamom / Elaichi
- Take a heavy bottomed pan / vessel, put it in stove top under low flame. Add the Minapa Gundlu / Urad Dal into the pan.
- Dry roast by stirring continuously, until you get a pleasant aroma and the lentils change into light brown colour. Switch off the flame, let them cool completely.
- In a blender/mixer, finely powder the sugar & cardamom pods together and transfer into a wide mixing bowl.
- Now, take the roasted dal into the blender, finely powder and transfer it to the same mixing bowl.
- Using a dry spoon combine all the dry items in the mixing bowl. Warm the ghee, start pouring slowly with a tablespoon.
- Using your hands, combine the mix thoroughly with the ghee, shape the ladoos / balls as you pour the ghee for enough consistency of getting a ball.
- Arrange the shaped ladoos / balls in a wide plate / sheet for them to dry for at least 15 mins. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category