Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
This, Broccoli – Carrot stir fry, is my first try with this combo. My kids never liked broccoli in any curry / stir fry. “Yuuuck!!…” was their reaction whenever I tried to convince them about any broccoli based dish. Being a mom, I was always worried about not including such healthy green vegetable into their diet.
I tried few other curry recipes with broccoli, which weren’t not so appealing for them. But this stir fry turned out very finger lickingly delectable. And my kids loved it so much, that I had to make it again in the same week. 🙂
How to serve ‘Broccoli – Carrot Stir Fry’:
This stir fry can be part of Indian Meal Platter, as a side dish with steamed rice (or) chapathi, Indian flat bread.
Being a stir fry with mild flavoured spices, this goes very well for taco filling, or as part of a Buddha Bowl / salad bowl too.
Health Benefits of ‘Broccoli – Carrot Stir Fry’:
Broccoli is an excellent green vegetable, which is rich in iron, folic acid, fibre and vitamin C, K. On the other hand, carrots are a good source of beta-carotene, fiber, weight loss friendly food with lower cholesterol levels and gives improved eye health.
Carrots are a great source of beta carotene, Vitamin K, folate, vitamin A & anti-oxidants (info from internet).
Most importantly, both broccoli & carrots are quite low in carbs. Hence adding this, ‘Broccoli Carrot stir fry’ into my Low Calories recipes collection⇒ Weight Loss Food / Low Carb Recipes
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
My Curry Recipes Collection⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
Weekend meal platters with plan⇒ Bhojanam / Thali / Meal Platter
Salad recipes collection⇒ Salads & Soups
- Broccoli & Corn Vegan Soup (Instant Pot / Stove top)
- Chinese Stir Fry Veg & Noodles (Air Fryer, Stove Top)
- Broccoli-Squash Lentil Stew / Broccoli-Sorakaya Pappu/ Broccoli-Tinda Dal
- Pudina-Carrot Rice / Mint-Carrot Rice
- Carrots & Oats Smoothie (No Sweetener)
- Broccoli – 1 head (medium size)
- Carrots – 4 (medium size)
- Coriander – 3 twigs
- Lemon Juice – 1 tablespoon
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Water – ½ cup
- Sesame seeds – 3 to 4 tablespoons
- Salt – 1½ teaspoons
- Dry Red Chilli Flakes – 1½ teaspoon
Ingredients for Tempering :
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds / Aavalu – ½ teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies / Fresh Green Chillies – 3
- Chopped Garlic – 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Sesame seeds
- Red Chilli Flakes
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Broccoli – Carrot Stir Fry’:
- Wash the broccoli, carrots and coriander.
- Cut the broccoli into small florets. We need 1 cup.
- Peel the carrots and finely chop them. We need 1 cup.
- Finely chop the coriander leaves. Put aside.
- Instead of chopping the carrot , you can even opt to grate them.
- To check if the veggies are cooked or not, take a piece and press it between your fingers or cut it with the ladle.
- Replace the dry red chilli flakes with red chilli powder / paprika, in case you do not have dry red chilli flakes. But, the taste would be perfect only with dry red chilli flakes.
- You can adjust the salt and spice according to your taste.
- The taste of this, broccoli carrot stir fry was just marvellous. And my kids loved it so much, that I had to make it again in the same week. 🙂
- We had this stir fry as a side dish, along with steamed hot rice, as part of our Indian Meal Platter.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Broccoli – Carrot Stir Fry
- Frying pan (for stove-top method)
- Spice Blender / Grinder / Mixie.
- 1 head Broccoli (medium size)
- 4 count Carrots (medium size)
- 3 twigs Coriander
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 3 tablespoons Cooking Oil
- ½ cup Water
- 3 to 4 tablespoons Sesame seeds
- 1½ teaspoon Salt
- 1½ teaspoon Dry Red Chilli Flakes
Ingredients for Tempering:
- ½ teaspoon Jeera / Cumin Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- ½ teaspoon Mustard Seeds / Aavalu
- 3 count Dry Red Chillies / Fresh Green Chillies
- 1 tablespoon Chopped Garlic (optional)
- Wash the broccoli, carrots and coriander. Cut the broccoli into small florets. We need 1 cup.Peel the carrots and finely chop them. We need 1 cup. Finely chop the coriander leaves. Put aside.
- Put a frying pan on stove top under medium flame, add the sesame seeds,dry roast by stirring continuously, until you get a nice aroma / the seeds turn golden colour.Take them off the pan & let them cool. Using a spice blender/mixie,blend into fine powder.
- Return the pan back to stove top, add the oil and heat it. Put the ‘Ingredients for Tempering’ and saute them. Add all the broccoli florets & carrot pieces, water and 1 teaspoon salt to the pan.
- Give everything a stir and close the pan with lid. Keep stirring in between (for every one minute), but replace the lid.
- After 4-5 mins, check for the crunchiness of the veggies. If satisfied, then go for the seasoning. If not let the veggies cook for more time. Add red chilli flakes, sesame seeds powder, half of chopped coriander and remaining salt (½ teaspoon).
- Gently keep stirring everything, so that the powder & flakes sticks throughout.Switch the flame off after a minute and squeeze the lemon juice on top.
- Transfer the stir fry into a serving bowl, garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Done!!
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category