Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:10 mins CookTime:10 mins Cuisine:Indian
This, Broccoli – Carrot stir fry, is my first try with this combo. My kids never liked broccoli in any curry / stir fry. “Yuuuck!!…” was their reaction whenever I tried to convince them about any broccoli based dish. Being a mom, I was always worried about not including such healthy green vegetable into their diet.
I tried few other curry recipes with broccoli, which weren’t not so appealing for them. But this stir fry turned out very finger lickingly delectable. And my kids loved it so much, that I had to make it again in the same week. 🙂
Health Benefits of Broccoli:
Broccoli is an excellent green vegetable, which is rich in iron, folic acid, fibre and vitamin C, K. On the other hand, carrots are a good source of beta-carotene, fiber, weight loss friendly food with lower cholesterol levels and gives improved eye health (info from internet).
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
Adding this, Broccoli Carrot stir fry into my weight loss recipes collection⇒ Weight Loss Food / Low Carb Recipes
My Curry Recipes Collection here⇒ Curry / Koora / Stir Fry
- Broccoli-Squash Lentil Stew / Broccoli-Sorakaya Pappu/ Broccoli-Tinda Dal
- Pudina-Carrot Rice / Mint-Carrot Rice
- Carrot Raita / Carrot & Yogurt Dip
- Broccoli – 1 head (medium size)
- Carrots – 4 (medium size)
- Coriander – 3 twigs
- Lemon Juice – 1 tablespoon
- Cooking Oil – 3 tablespoons
- Water – ½ cup
- Sesame seeds – 3 to 4 tablespoons
- Salt – 1½ teaspoons
- Red Chilli Flakes – 1½ teaspoon
Ingredients for Tempering :
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – ½ teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds / Aavalu – ½ teaspoon
- Dry Red Chillies / Fresh Green Chillies – 3
- Chopped Garlic – 1 tablespoon (optional)
- Sesame seeds
- Red Chilli Flakes
Step wise pics Procedure:
- Wash the broccoli, carrots and coriander.
- Cut the broccoli into small florets. We need 1 cup.
- Peel the carrots and finely chop the. We need 1 cup.
- Finely chop the coriander leaves. Put aside.
- Put a frying pan on stove top under medium flame and add the sesame seeds.
- Dry roast by stirring continuously, until you get a nice aroma / the seeds turn golden colour.
- Take them off the pan into a blender/mixie. Let them cool.
- Return the pan back to stove top, add the oil and heat it.
- Put all the ‘Ingredients for Tempering’ and saute them.
- Add all the broccoli florets & carrot pieces, water and 1 teaspoon salt to the pan.
- Give everything a stir and close the pan with lid.
- Keep stirring in between (for every one minute), but replace the lid.
- Meanwhile, blend the sesame seeds into fine powder.
- After 4-5 mins, check for the crunchiness of the veggies.
- If you are satisfied, then go for the seasoning. If not let the veggies cook for more time.
- Add red chilli flakes, sesame seeds powder, half of chopped coriander and remaining salt (½ teaspoon).
- Gently keep stirring everything, so that the powder & flakes sticks throughout.
- Switch the flame off after a minute and squeeze the lemon juice on top.
- Transfer the stir fry into a serving bowl, garnish with chopped coriander leaves. Done!!
- Instead of chopping the carrot , you can even opt to grate them.
- To check if the veggies are cooked or not, take a piece and press it between your fingers or cut it with the ladle.
- You can adjust the salt and spice according to your taste.
- The taste of this, broccoli carrot stir fry was just marvelous. And my kids loved it so much, that I had to make it again in the same week. 🙂
- You can have this stir fry as it is or as a side for any rice, any bread, chapati, as a taco filling, or as part of a salad bowl.
You can Pin it here for later, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category