Recipe Cooked, Photographed and Written by Praveena
PrepTime:5 mins CookTime:5 mins Cuisine:Indian
This, Chana tadka / Seasoned chickpeas is a South Indian Origin snack/starter which is very easy to make, quick and of course very economical too. Above all its extremely healthy with the protein and fibre rich Garbanzo Beans/ Chana as the main ingredient.
How to use / serve ‘Chana Tadka / Seasoned Chickpeas’:
Whenever I make this my kids would definitely go for another serving. They do love this very much mainly its very to no spice feature.
For a family picnic/ kids lunch box I prefer this, ya only when I have boiled the chickpeas previous day. I can be pretty sure my kids would empty their lunches.
You can have this as part of tacos, wraps, any meal, buddha bowl, salad bowl, breakfast or dinner too.
Apart from all this, its a compulsory and auspicious dish made during any South Indian festivals.
Below is one of the simplest salad bowls that I made including this Seasoned Chickpeas. It was very filling and healthy at the same time.
Health Benefits of ‘Chana Tadka / Seasoned Chickpeas’:
Chickpeas / Chana, are rich in protein & fiber. They are low in calories too.
Jeera / Cumin, helps in easy digestion and hence eliminates any indigestion issue.
Mustard Seeds are known for their anti-inflammatory property. So,can be useful for reducing blood pressure, arthristis, asthma effects.
To conclude, this is a Vegan, Gluten free, Protein Rich, Low Fat and Fiber food. Hence, it can satisfy many people in any party/gathering.
Before starting to cook, don’t forget to see the Tips mentioned at the end.
My Starter/Snack recipes collection⇒ Starters / Snacks
My Salad recipes collection⇒ Salads & Soups
Related Posts with CHICK PEAS:
- Chana-Aloo Chat / Chickpeas-Potato Salad
- Spinach & Chickpeas Pulao Rice (South Indian style)
- Chana / Chickpea Sprouts & Basil Sandwich
- Chickpea Fritters / Chana Pakoda (Air Fryer, Stove top)
- Chana Masala / Vegan Chickpea Stew (Instant Pot, Stove top)
- Garbanzo Beans/ Yellow Chickpeas/ Senagalu– 2 cups (soaked/boiled/canned)
- Cooking Oil – 1½ tablespoons
- Salt – ¼ teaspoon / as per taste
- Red Chilli powder/Paprika/Chilli flakes – ½ teaspoon
- Desiccated / Fresh grated Coconut – 1 tablespoon
- Dry Red Chillies – 3
- Curry Leaves/ Karivepaku – 4 to 5
- Fresh Coriander – 1 tablespoon (chopped)
- Lemon/Lime – 3 slices
Ingredients for Tempering:
- Jeera / Cumin Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Mustard Seeds / Aavalu – ½ teaspoon
- Urad dal / Minapappu / Split Black gram – ¾ teaspoon
- Chana dal / Senagapappu / Split Yellow Gram – ¾ teaspoon
- Sesame Seeds/ Til/ Nuvvulu – ½ teaspoon
- Turmeric Powder/ Pasupu/ Haldi – ¼ teaspoon
- Curry Leaves/ Karivepaku
- Desiccated Coconut
Step wise pics Procedure for ‘Chana tadka / seasoned chick -peas‘ :
PREP WORK :
- To ‘SOAK’ the dry chana / chickpeas:
- Take 2 cups of dry chickpeas into a wide vessel, wash them thoroughly. Add water, 4 times the quantity of beans.
- Leave the vessel on kitchen platform, let the chickpeas soak for 8 hrs/overnight.
- Strain the soaked water before cooking.
STOVE TOP METHOD:
- To ‘COOK’ the soaked chana / chickpeas:
- on STOVE TOP:Take the soaked chickpeas into a sauce pan, add double quantity of water. Close with lid. Let them cook on stove-top medium flame until they soften (might take 30 to 40 mins).
- on STOVE TOP PRESSURE COOKER:Take them into the cooker. Add 3 cups of water.
- Close the lid, put the whistle ON, let it cook for 5 whistles. Open only when the pressure is released.
If you are using canned (or) already cooked chickpeas, ignore all the above ‘PREP WORK’ steps, and proceed with the recipe from here.
INSTANT POT METHOD:
- Take the soaked chickpeas into the Instant Pot. Add 3 cups of water.
- Close the lid, turn the valve to SEALING, and set the mode to PRESSURE COOK under HIGH PRESSURE for 4 mins (or) else BEAN / CHILI mode. Release the pressure naturally (NPR).
- Transfer all the boiled chickpeas into a separate bowl.
- You can use any other variety of chickpeas, for the same recipe.
- If you do not have few of the ‘Ingredients for tempering’, don’t bother, just go with what you have.
- Adjust the salt & spice as per your taste.
- You can even add finely chopped green chillies for added spice.
- The pressure cooking time to Instant Pot, differs on how soft you wish to have your chickpeas. And for how much time you have soaked them.
- This, Chana tadka / Seasoned chickpeas can be fresh only up to a day.
- But you can store the cooked chickpeas in the freezer.
- The taste of this, Chana tadka / Seasoned chickpeas starter is very very mild in spice and so is yummy.
- If you squeeze in some lemon on top, the taste would be a mix of sour, sweet and spice.
- And its more of chewy obviously because of the chickpeas.
- My kids have at least one serving, whenever I made this.
Ingredients, Accessories on ‘AMAZON’ to ‘SHOP’:
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
South Indian style Seasoned Chickpeas / Garbanzo Beans (Stove top, Instant Pot)
- Sauce Pan / Vessel (for stove-top method)
- Instant Pot or Electric Pressure Cooker (for IP method)
- 2 cups Garbanzo Beans/ Yellow Chickpeas/ Senagalu soaked (or) boiled (or) canned
- 1½ tablespoons Cooking Oil
- ½ teaspoon Salt (or as per taste)
- ¼ teaspoon Red Chilli powder / Paprika / Chilli flakes
- 1 tablespoon Desiccated / Fresh grated Coconut
- 3 count Dry Red Chillies
- 4 to 5 count Curry Leaves / Karivepaku
- 1 tablespoon Fresh Coriander (chopped)
- 3 slices Lemon / Lime
Ingredients for tempering:
- ½ teaspoon Jeera / Cumin Seeds
- ½ teaspoon Mustard Seeds / Aavalu
- ¾ teaspoon Urad dal / Minapappu / Split Black gram
- ¾ teaspoon Chana dal / Senagapappu / Split Yellow Gram
- ¼ teaspoon Sesame Seeds/ Til/ Nuvvulu
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder/ Pasupu/ Haldi
- To ‘SOAK’ the dry chana / chickpeas:Take 2 cups of dry chickpeas into a wide vessel, wash them thoroughly. Add water, 4 times the quantity of beans. Leave the vessel on kitchen platform, let them soak for 8 hrs/overnight. Strain the soaked water before cooking.
If you are using canned (or) already cooked chickpeas, ignore all the above PREP WORK steps, and proceed with the recipe from here.
STOVE TOP METHOD:
- To ‘COOK’ the soaked chana / chickpeas: on STOVE TOP:Take the soaked chickpeas into a sauce pan, add double quantity of water. Close with lid. Let them cook on stove-top medium flame until they soften (might take 30 to 40 mins).on STOVE TOP PRESSURE COOKER:Take them into the cooker. Add 3 cups of water.Close the lid, put the whistle ON, let it cook for 5 whistles. Open only when the pressure is released.
- TO MAKE THE SALAD: Put a frying pan on stove top under medium flame, add the oil and heat it up. Add all the ‘Ingredients for tempering’ and saute them.
- Break each dry red chilli into two and add them to the pan, along with curry leaves. Saute them for 2-3 secs and then add all the boiled chickpeas/ chana to the pan.
- Just give a stir and add the required salt. Toss/Mix everything and leave the pan open, for about 2-3 mins. Then, add the desiccated/fresh grated coconut and red chilli powder / chilli flakes / paprika.
- Gently mix up everything, such that the grated coconut and chilli powder are coated thoroughly. After 30 sec to 1 min, switch the flame off.
- Serve & Garnish with chopped coriander and lemon slice. Done!!
INSTANT POT METHOD:
- Take the soaked chickpeas into the Instant Pot. Add 3 cups of water.Close the lid, turn the valve to SEALING, and set the mode to PRESSURE COOK under HIGH PRESSURE for 4 mins (or) else BEAN / CHILI mode. Release the pressure naturally (NPR).Transfer all the boiled chickpeas into a separate bowl.
- TO MAKE THE SALAD: Put the Instant Pot vessel back, switch ON the gadget, set the MODE to SAUTE for 4 mins. Add the Oil, let it heat, then add all the ‘Ingredients for tempering’ and saute them.Immediately add the boiled chickpeas.
- Add the finely chopped coriander, red chilli powder / chilli flakes, and grated fresh coconut / desiccated coconut and salt.
- Give everything a gentle but thorough mix, such that the grated coconut and spices are covered all over the chickpeas. Switch the GADGET off, and transfer the dish into a serving bowl. Done!
You can Pin it here for later use, Pinterest link:
Do leave a comment or hit the like or follow button, just in case you like my recipe!
You can explore my other recipes by clicking the Recipe Category